Re: Is Everything the Ego says False?

Post by nowlove » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:31 am

Never believe what the mind says- good or bad. -Robert Adams

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:00 pm

SamiT wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am
But In the Power of Now Eckhart refers to the Mind/Ego.
I refer to Mind/Ego as well (Mind being a pointer to thinking)...but they are just thoughts and not entities in their own right. We refer to lines of longitude, but show me one...it is only a concept and a thought used for discussion and convenience, but a line of longitude does not really exist in its own right. As Alan Watts once said, you can't cut a slice a cheese with a line of longitude.

The Ego does not really exist...it is just the recurring thoughts of "I", "my", and "me"...and conversely the thoughts of "not me" such as "you", "yours", "they", etc.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

tchest77

Post by tchest77 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:28 am

Hi SamiT :)

The Ego is not false at all, it is very much real! Take your Ego away and you are just thought. Look at it like this, you have your body, your mind, and your soul. You know how the body works, it just does what the brain tells it to. Your mind is in your brain, it is the consciousness of it, it is what allows you to be aware and understand. And the soul, well, I guess anyone could say what this is, but I don't think anyone really knows, we can only use our consciousness and whatever studies or reflections on it through history exist. Let's say your soul is your inner being, your energy, your essence of who you are. Ego is feelings, they were created by you from your brain, and created every day and will continue until you die, all done in order for you to process the world, make sense of it, and cope with it.

People will say the ego is false because it does have a huge hold on us, although it is us. It's hard to understand this concept, and some people get so caught up in stating words like, "being in the present," and trying to just have thought, and "just be in the moment," blah..blah...blah... Yup, that was my ego!

First, be yourself! If you do not start here, all is lost. No one can tell you who you are but you! Love yourself! Realize, you created your ego to survive! You should thank your ego for existing. Your ego loves you, but it does trap you, and it can be very harmful and deadly, it doesn't know any better as it is just trying to do it's job, to protect you, to comfort you, to help you to be you. But this is why your mind has to become aware, without doing so, you will just be your ego with no control of your self, I could get into this another time.

All emotions you have, support ego, really it strengthens your bond to identify who you are. But, there is nothing wrong with that unless it makes your or the world around you unhealthy. I think people get all caught up in this cause they think ego holds us back, which it does, but no one appreciates ego. This not appreciating it, not accepting it, this is the hold back. People act all enlightened when they never even accepted their ego, or dug deep enough to develop a healthy bond with it, or even understand it as it is completely personal to each person.

There are some good people that can give some very good guidance, but keep in mind, try to understand yourself first, by not doing this, you will never understand. And it is ok to say who cares, you need to be happy and not confused, it is your life, you are entitled as a birth right to live it how you may and search for what works for you. And if none of this never makes sense, it really doesn't matter, because you matter, that is more important than being confused. So, if you want to explore, go for it, and take your time, this is a process but can be a healthy process, as you can understand yourself more, or just be content and just be as needed. And take my answers and everyone elses answers, and answers based on our understanding, for that is all it is, and you do your best to take what you will and make your own sense of it.

I'm not going to blab on, but I have been able to separate from my ego, I understand it; I have been able to just be "present" at the moment in full awareness and am as needed. I'd be happy to help with any questions from my understanding on all of this, as this is a process and I am open to explore with you.

We were given this opportunity to have life, what and honor and privilege. Wishing you the best on your life's journey, explore it, understand it, love it!

Take Care.

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm

I thought that the Ego/Thought isn’t real??

I’m confused now. :?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:00 pm

SamiT wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm

A good rule of thumb in life or in forums, (maybe especially in forums) is buyer beware. Follow your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, be skeptical. Never be 100% certain of anything. Whatever you believe now, or anytime, is surely incomplete. There is always more to know and understand.

Good hunting.

WW

tchest77

Post by tchest77 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:06 am

SamiT wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi SamiT,

The Ego is real, it is you. The problem is, this ego is masking our true identity, thus it is stated that the ego isn't the real you. And yes, this is confusing, don't get to caught up in it, try to think about it, and understand it, this is what life it all about, making sense of things. The moment we get caught up in that something is confusing, ect, is the moment we loose the real sight, that we don't even have to think if we don't want to. So, if it's confusing, look into it, do some research online, ask questions, ect, whatever works for you, but if it starts to bother you, step back, and come back to it when you're ready. If you force yourself to do anything, don't, go at your pace and enjoy life. I was just under the impression that you were stressed out about this ego thing, so I was trying to come from a good place, I'll explain below.

I have a problem with the notion that the ego is not good, and really, that is all of where I was coming from; so I am in support of being your ego in a healthy manner. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but I thought you were loosing sight of who you are. And I think some responses are confusing cause some responses seem so generic and are so unegoic (meaning, straight from thought without much feeling), and not personal to your situation. And I think, if anyone is going to be truly helpful, then being emotional within healthy boundaries is necessary, and feeling with emotion is essential to connecting on a human level. So, I did let my ego get the best of me, but I just wanted you to know that you can be yourself, that's all. But, if you're truly scientifically just trying to find answers, trying to figure this stuff out, and not loosing yourself, then I apologize, and will help you to make sense with my interpretation on ego.

Here's the thing, our ego is us. Our ego is basically our emotions. Our emotions give us a sense of who we are. If we feel disrespected, our emotions take over. If we are frustrated cause something isn't working and it's utterly annoying, our emotions take over. If someone says or does something that bothers us, our emotions take over. So, in a sense, we are our emotions. However, our emotions are embedded deep in us, as we live through this life, our emotions emerge to help us to cope. If you were adopted, it's possible that you developed a large amount of emotional pain, maybe feeling unloved once you found out, so our ego comes in and helps us possibly to repress that pain (to cope). Or, let's say you were bullied as a child, well.... you're ego comes in and helps you to cope, maybe you got very scared, so it's hard for you to speak up for yourself now, or maybe you almost fight back unfairly in life now since that triggers your repressed memory of being bullied. So, here is ego, always coming to save the day. Our ego is always trying to help us to cope, even right now, making sense of how we feel. But, how we feel is just a part of us, it is not who we are.

Your feelings, while they are ego, are there to help you to live your life, enjoy what it has to offer and make sense of it all, and help you to cope, and the coping is the problem. These coping feelings are in control, because we are not aware of them, they just happen, therefore we become them. It is instinctive to react, so we react. What Eckhart is teaching us to do is, to stop reacting. Reacting is our ego trying to just help us to cope. Once react, we are our ego. Eckhart is trying to get us to understand that we can have a choice, to be Ego, or be understanding (to be our thoughts). But in order to understand, we have to be aware of ego, to know it exists, to beware of when it is present, to realize when it is in control. Next time you get angry, don't stop your anger, feel your anger, but feel it without coping, do not be the anger, just be present with it and feel it. Just feel the pain, this is ego, ego is trying so hard to help. Anytime you feel jealous, mad, you want someone to pay attention to you, you try to make others laugh, you complain or gossip, you want revenge, ect, realize this is your ego just helping you to cope. Once we become aware that this ego is just a part of us, we can stop, pay attention to it, become aware of it, and think about why it makes us feel this way. Obviously, you feel what it wants you to feel, but you do not have to become what it wants you to become.

Look at it like this, your ego (feelings) are the temperature on a thermostat (your thoughts/mind). Temperature will always exist as it needs to until you become aware of the temperature and want to change it. Once you are aware of the temperature, you go to the thermostat to read the temperature, make sense of it, and decide what to do with it. The thermostat is in complete control of the temperature, but it will never be if it is never brought attention to, and therefore the temperature will be whatever it wants until it is examined, understood, then controlled. The more you are aware of the temperature, the more you can be in the present moment with it and examine the thermostat to see what's going on, why, and what should be done about it. Therefore, no longer just being a slave to ego, but being aware of it and trying to understand it.

Anytime you want to make a decision you are unsure of, ask yourself this: Am I making this decision because it makes me feel or, or because it is the right thing to do? This will guide you to not use ego, or at least be aware of it. Ego is all about emotion and making ourselves feel better. But, choosing to do the right thing even if it doesn't make us feel good is what the conscious mind wants us to think about and to be aware of why we are feeling to begin with. The mind and emotion are 2 separate parts of who we are.

Take Care!

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 am

I thought Eckhart says its a false mind made self?

My ego suffers very much with fear i live daily in life with chronic fear

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 pm

SamiT wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 am
False, mind-made self...exactly...then the ego does not really exist outside of thought.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

tchest77

Post by tchest77 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:08 am

SamiT wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 am

My ego suffers very much with fear i live daily in life with chronic fear
Hi SamiT,

Yes, Eckhart does say that. When I say ego is real, I'm coming from the stand point that it is a part of you, and to embrace it. This can get philosophical and all, but to get to the bottom line, the ego is a false mind made self.
It can be complicated to understand, and I will just leave it at, in my opinion, ego has advantages and disadvantages. So, I won't go back to this why I think this way, unless you'd like to look into with me. For now, if we're at the last stage of understanding of who we are, then yes, being aware that ego is a false mind made self is completely accurate.

Your fear you live with, only you can understand as it is your personal experience. Others may relate, but this is your personal experience, so it is personal to you. I am sorry to hear of the emotional pain you live with. First, that is brave of you to confront it and even explain it. That, in itself it a step closer to self improvement. Keep it up!

Here's the thing, if what you are going through is unbearable, you need to seek professional services. If this is something you don't think requires that type of care, then maybe you are able to work with it; but only you know and if you don't know then you need to seek for those services if you can.

The ego is a tricky one. It is a trap, can be self sabotaging, and extremely selfish. If you are trying to separate ego from thought, try to respond without instinct, and choose the path that follows what is right instead of what feels good or makes others feel good; the ego is the feeling (reaction), while the thought is the understanding of being aware of how you feel and realizing you have a choice. This is a process, and will take time to get better at, just like anything else that requires practice.

Think about it like this, if you lived a life of 40 years with a conditioned reaction, you feel so you react; then to recondition that reaction to a response based on thought will be challenging, will take time, and will be a process. But, take it easy, be mindful of how you feel, and realize you do not have to allow ego to react. Think, therefore you are; or feel therefore you are. Ego wants you to react in order for it to protect you. However, if what you are feeling may require advanced care, then look into that, sometimes our brains are not producing necessary neurotransmitters in order to balance out our moods.

Take Care SamiT!