How do you observe in advance?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Finley Karsten

How do you observe in advance?

Post by Finley Karsten » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm

You know the saying "You cannot control what people do, but you can control, how you react".

How do you control how to react when you are under emotional distress?

From Eckhart Tolle I know that the only thing you can do is observe.

But in moments of pressure, of stress, I do not have time to observe. I need support from my body. Not some fucked up memory of the past in which I did not succeed in a similar situation.

Also, in my experience, you cannot "observe in advance" to then have stillness of mind when it matters.

Fore

Re: How do you observe in advance?

Post by Fore » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:16 am

I hear you, what you need to understand and experience is that it is not an emotion or a reaction “singular” that you are experiencing and reacting towards.
This process is occurring at the subatomic level trillions of times in the wink of an eye. You cannot think your way through the reaction process.
Eckharts book is interesting and he is pointing towards awareness of this but his books are ineffective at really teaching and guiding one to and through this rollercoaster ride of learning to observe this process at this depth of mind, and helping one to maintain this through lifestyle choices and continual practice.
Through thousands of years guiding people thru this it has been found that to do this it takes at minimum 10 full 24 hr days of continuous practice and guidance to take someone to this depth of mind and then teach them how to observe this process. Previously it was 30 days of practice but some dedicated people have found a way to reduce this to 10 as many in today’s busy lifestyle cannot dedicate 30 days.
10 days is the very minimum to learn this, in three or for days one can be guided to this depth of mind but this would leave no time to learn and explore at this depth. Additional 6 days to teach at this depth is minimum.
It’s best to observe the lifestyle habits if possible, this will help keep the mind less reactive, then if and when ready learn in a ten day course this ancient technique of presence.

Finley Karsten

Post by Finley Karsten » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:41 am

You digressed from the question.

Fore

Post by Fore » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:57 am

Finley Karsten wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm
It’s always the same question.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 am

Finley Karsten wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm
A couple of things come to mind. First understand the source of the distress. That source is your conditioned resistance to what is, or what you fear might become. Second, get a clear sense when times are peaceful of what would be a good or effective response if you could express it in those stressful moments.
...in moments of pressure, of stress, I do not have time to observe.
Consider taking moments when you are not under pressure or stress to imagine how you might respond in the most productive way. In other words practice ahead of time. Any athlete or soldier knows the value of training. This is the same for the body or the mind. Soldiers commonly say that when the shooting starts and they are terrified, they simply resort to their training to get them through.

So do some mental training for those times that are most common to be stressful for you. Practice and practice some more. The more you train the better you will respond when the time comes.

When it comes to observing, that too is very much a matter of training. Practice being an observer to your thoughts and actions when not under stress. Over time you will become more adept at it. First in mildly stressful or out of the ordinary circumstances, and later with more experience, in increasingly challenging conditions.

WW