The Sound of Silence

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
EnterZenFromThere

The Sound of Silence

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I've not posted here in a long time. It's nice to be back.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight into the sound of silence? A few years ago I had an intense experience that changed the way I experience my senses. I started seeing pulsating pin-points of light in my vision (millions of them, like tiny points of static vibrating multiple times a second and looking like golden light) and seeing the outline of objects in my vision as vibrating with a golden light aura around them. I also started hearing pulsating/vibrating/resonating sounds at specific points in my audiofield e.g. a specific tone always at the same point near my right ear and a few similar yet different tones near my left. They have been that way for years now and I wasn't sure if they were something 'spiritual' or if I had developed tinitus either due to the intense energy experience or from an unrelated cause. They aren't distracting or unpleasant. In fact if anything I'd say they are pleasant and relaxing and don't obstruct my life.

Recently I watched some talks by Ajahn Sumedo, a senior monk from the Theravadan Thai Forest tradition of Buddhism. He mentioned experiencing the sound of silence as a kind of vibration that wasn't a sound because it came from inside and that he used it to support his meditation practice. He believes it's the sound of pure consciousness and that he's met other people who experience it. Some don't realise what it is and think of it as tinitus and try to get rid of it, leading them to suffer.

It's led me to reflect on my own experience and I wonder if I've been ignoring a valuable part of my experience that could provide useful insights.

I have noticed that focusing on these sounds/vibrations is calming to my mind and as I focus on them they become clearer and the individual tones more distinct and multi-layered. It's possible they're vibrating in the same frequency as the points of light I see.

I'm also reflecting on an article I read where Tibetan monastics were given a brain scan that detected the frequency of their brainwaves. The monastics were able to tap a beat that matched the frequency of their brain waves. When asked how they could do this they replied (with words to the effect of) they could sense the vibration. So I wonder if they experience something like I do and that what I'm experiencing is related to brainwave activity.

I'm curious if anyone reading this has experience of the sound of silence?

If so, does what I'm describing sound like it?

And does it relate to brainwave activity?

Hope you're all doing well and I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

EZFT

Webwanderer

Re: The Sound of Silence

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 am

Welcome back EZFT. What you describe here sounds to me like it could be related to OBE's. From the research I've done over the years. Vibrations, sounds and even lights are often precursors to out of body experiences. These conditions usually show up in very relaxed states such as going into sleep or coming out of it. It can also happen during deep meditations.

I don't know if you've studied much on the subject, or if you've had OBE's, but you might try focusing on actually leaving you body when these conditions appear. There are reports of people experiencing these vibrations, lights, and curious sounds for years before they knew what they were and took advantage of them.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you in your experience, but I thought I would share it in case it could help.

WW

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm

I've had dialogs with other folks into meditation about what we've described as a "universal sound" that we can attune to when things get quiet. Sort of like crickets, but the thing is, the volume can vary quite a bit, and it's always available if you listen for it. I'm sure there's some sort of physical explanation, but as always with the notion of physicality, one can be left or ultimately led to the question as to whether it's the physical phenomenon which is causal, or rather, the nonlocal consciousness from which the sensation arises.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks you for your feedback.
Webwanderer wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 am
These conditions usually show up in very relaxed states such as going into sleep or coming out of it. It can also happen during deep meditations.
What I experience happens all the time in the waking state. Eyes open or closed, with or without earplugs.
Webwanderer wrote:
I don't know if you've studied much on the subject, or if you've had OBE's, but you might try focusing on actually leaving you body when these conditions appear. There are reports of people experiencing these vibrations, lights, and curious sounds for years before they knew what they were and took advantage of them.
I've read a bit on OBEs. The experiences I describe here began following a type of NDE. It was an unusual NDE as it happened during a dream though having read up on them and spoken to someone with a lot of experience we both felt it was some kind of NDE. After that experience I began experiencing psychic/atypical experiences including OBEs. These always came on during sleep and I never had an intentional OBE (though I did try and had a few unusual, pre-OBE phenomena as a result).

Generally I've struggled with psychological issues and grounding throughout my life so establishing a healthy mind is a higher priority for me right now than having OBEs. That said I've built relationships with inner being/higher beings and seen the way things operate in other realms that has helped me in many ways, especially in my relationship with physical death. I recall communicating with higher beings during a time when I was very preoccupied with opening my third eye. Their guidance was that I would develop a more intimate relationship with them once I had grown more comfortable around human beings, as I was too anxious and fearful to experience them directly at the time. So though I agree that the phenomena may be related to OBEs, I'm not interested in developing that side of myself until my psyche is ready to receive it.

It's helpful to talk this through as it refines my intention around these experiences.

EZFT

PureLand

Post by PureLand » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:59 am
Thanks you for your feedback.
Webwanderer wrote:
These conditions usually show up in very relaxed states such as going into sleep or coming out of it. It can also happen during deep meditations.
What I experience happens all the time in the waking state. Eyes open or closed, with or without earplugs.
Webwanderer wrote:
I've read a bit on OBEs. The experiences I describe here began following a type of NDE. It was an unusual NDE as it happened during a dream though having read up on them and spoken to someone with a lot of experience we both felt it was some kind of NDE. After that experience I began experiencing psychic/atypical experiences including OBEs. These always came on during sleep and I never had an intentional OBE (though I did try and had a few unusual, pre-OBE phenomena as a result).

Generally I've struggled with psychological issues and grounding throughout my life so establishing a healthy mind is a higher priority for me right now than having OBEs. That said I've built relationships with inner being/higher beings and seen the way things operate in other realms that has helped me in many ways, especially in my relationship with physical death. I recall communicating with higher beings during a time when I was very preoccupied with opening my third eye. Their guidance was that I would develop a more intimate relationship with them once I had grown more comfortable around human beings, as I was too anxious and fearful to experience them directly at the time. So though I agree that the phenomena may be related to OBEs, I'm not interested in developing that side of myself until my psyche is ready to receive it.

It's helpful to talk this through as it refines my intention around these experiences.

EZFT
I hear sound of silence too. It became so normal because I am aware of it for many years. And yes, this is the sound of consciousness. It doesn't mean a problem or something, it is how the consciousness manifests as sound in our heads.

Before having an obe, a person can hear intense sound and also different types of sounds--hard to explain here. And these sounds have different quality in these experiences because you're changing dimensions in Obes. If you want to have intentional Obes, search Michael Raduga, he has great and very easy methods. I had many Obes, mostly short lived experiences but still amazing. In my last experience I entered to a tunnel(this happened many times in the other experiences too), and flying through the tunnel is really amazing. And after that flight I found myself in a road that was in a forest.. You can experience the dead people's and the nde people's experiences in OBE. But spiritual people- including me generally don't have long lasting desires for these things because they are just temporary experiences. But I still plan to have these experiences more frequently in the future for some reasons.

When you reach to certain stages in spirituality you'll also start to hear another type of sound. When the trapped energy in the head starts to dissolve, you start to hear a different type of sound-but hard to relate that sound to an external sound-I can say wind sound or rolling sound but both of these words would not explain the sound correctly. I mentioned that subject a little bit in the topic "Trapped Energy in the Mouth", and this is the "sound" part of that subject. This is not related to the sound of silence ofcourse but it is really strange that painbody dissolving has a "sound"--or maybe it is how we experience it when it happens in the head.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:06 pm

snowheight wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm
Sort of like crickets, but the thing is, the volume can vary quite a bit, and it's always available if you listen for it. I'm sure there's some sort of physical explanation,
"Sort of like crickets" resonates with what I hear as well. Personally I doubt the explanation is entirely physical, or I would expect it to be more commonly talked about and my own experience of it wouldn't have begun following a NDE.

When did you first notice it?

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:11 pm

PureLand wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm
Before having an obe, a person can hear intense sound and also different types of sounds--hard to explain here. And these sounds have different quality in these experiences because you're changing dimensions in Obes.
I know what you mean re: intense and different types of sounds. I describe them as otherworldly, distant yet close, reverberating etc. Also some very odd incredibly loud sounds that didn't hurt my ears.
PureLand wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm
When you reach to certain stages in spirituality you'll also start to hear another type of sound. When the trapped energy in the head starts to dissolve, you start to hear a different type of sound-but hard to relate that sound to an external sound-I can say wind sound or rolling sound but both of these words would not explain the sound correctly.
I'll listen out for this. I've noticed energy/pressure/movement in my head over the past few years. It feels like it's gradually clearing out (also the energy in my skull feels trapped at times and I need to crack my neck/skull to release it. Over time my skeleton is realigning through this process... uncomfortable...).

I'll read your topic on energy in the mouth.

EZFT

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:06 pm
snowheight wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm
Sort of like crickets, but the thing is, the volume can vary quite a bit, and it's always available if you listen for it. I'm sure there's some sort of physical explanation,
"Sort of like crickets" resonates with what I hear as well. Personally I doubt the explanation is entirely physical, or I would expect it to be more commonly talked about and my own experience of it wouldn't have begun following a NDE.

When did you first notice it?
When I was a child, during quiet times alone, during the day. But I never gave it much thought until decades later after having developed an interest in noduality and meditation. What I find is that the volume is essentially controllable by placing attention on it, and that it's always underneath all sounds, even when there's an external cacaphony. A few of the folks I've corresponded with have correlated it to tinnitus, but it seems to me that once they learn about it in terms of the universal sound, it bothers them less.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.