Question about being present

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
fromthesount

Question about being present

Post by fromthesount » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey guys.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and it has been eye opening experience, but I have one question (pretty common) that I wanted to ask.
Excuse me for any grammatical errors, I'm from southern europe so english is my second language.

TPON changed my life honestly. I got rid of pretty much any addiction that I ever had, my mind is peaceful and I have never felt better in my life.
But one thing that i don't understand (and would like to get tips from more experienced people) is how to pull myself back to present, or how to stay present. Yeah i know basic question but here is what i don't understand. ET talks about being present in the body while doing some task, or observing breathing, but at the same time he talks about being present at the moment and to be fully focused on certain task.
I am student and I spend studying for hours every single day. Do i focus 100% on material that i study (mind wander more than usual), or i focus 50%/50%?
Also now while writing this maybe i had thoughts that I even wasn't aware of... Should I be aware of every letter that I type on screen, and every move that I make, or it should be more fluid, more "in the zone"? Because when I'm aware of every movement i feel it can be exausting.

Anyway, glad to see what You guys will write back, it could be inspiration for some other question.
Thanks.

Webwanderer

Re: Question about being present

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 am

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you don't over think this. That, after all, is the problem with staying present. The point in all of this is to know who and what you are. You can only, truly, know that through direct experience. Therein lies the point of becoming present.

It's not an analytical process, it's a feeling one. While the mind is running around trying to figure things out, life is happening right under its proverbial nose.

Consider, when you are feeling things, you are gaining experience. When you are thinking about them, you are creating perspective. They are actually designed to work together. To some extent it's the left brain/right brain issue.
fromthesount wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 pm
I am student and I spend studying for hours every single day. Do i focus 100% on material that i study (mind wander more than usual), or i focus 50%/50%?
Also now while writing this maybe i had thoughts that I even wasn't aware of... Should I be aware of every letter that I type on screen, and every move that I make, or it should be more fluid, more "in the zone"? Because when I'm aware of every movement i feel it can be exausting.
As I mentioned above, it's about 'knowing' who and what you are. That's what matters. There is no mathematical formula for clarity and presence. It's about familiarity. The deeper and clearer the better. This familiarity comes through practice and experience. The idea is to still the mind so consciousness can be focused through its feeling nature. Do you want to read about an orange, or do you want to taste one. Which one gives you knowledge? And which one gives you knowing?

So here is what works for many. First the preamble: (read slowly) Perceive your immediate environment through your senses. Listen closely, smell the available scents, observe the visual content, feel the air and everything you are touching. Even taste the moisture in your mouth. Do all of this, one at a time and in whatever combination seems practical at the moment. Do not label anything, nor form any opinions. Do not think about, nor analyze, nor judge, nor prefer, nor reject any of it. Just feel it. Be cleanly aware.

Now, after a few moments of clarity on sensing without thinking, consider self. Consciousness. Feel what you are - not with the physical senses, but with awareness of being. Take a deep breath and relax into it. Rest here in this moment and breathe self and presence. Let go of mind and know what Being is. Everything else is just content to that Being.

The more you come to this clarity, the more familiar it becomes. You don't have to hold this all day. It would be counter productive to try. As you say it's tiring. But familiarity remains because it's real experience. As you become more familiar, more experienced, this marvelous state becomes more readily accessible.

You have a whole life ahead of you. You are going to need your thinking mind and all the benefits of its analytical properties. That is indeed a good thing. What keeps you from becoming 'lost' in thought is the familiarity, the experience, of your true nature. Then when life's challenges arise, and they will, it will be readily available to call upon to help you through them

Know this: that clear state of presence is where alignment is attained with our larger beingness. It is the source of our insight that brings us understanding in the midst of turmoil.

WW

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Hello, my friend. :- )

I'd suggest you to read a book from Thich Nhat Hanh. He's an incredible guy, and he's a very present person. In his books, he suggest a lot of tips and metaphors about how we can bring ourself to the present moment.

For now, just rest your attention in what you are doing. If you're studying, study. If you hear a sound while you're studying, hear the sound. If you smell something while you're studying, smell it. If you're breathing while you're studying (that's a good one, hehehehe), feel your breath.

Read his books. You're going to like it.

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 am

Reading will strongly pull you into unconsciousness. There are some activities where you need to concentrate intensely and give 100% of your attention, such as study.

Study for 30 minutes, then take a short 5 minute break to meditate and regain consciousness. It is the little moments of stillness throughout your day that keep you grounded and largely conscious.
Relax your face

kemlukorzi

Post by kemlukorzi » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 pm

fromthesount wrote:
Hey guys.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and it has been eye opening experience, but I have one question (pretty common) that I wanted to ask.
Excuse me for any grammatical errors, I'm from southern europe so english is my second language.

TPON changed my life honestly. I got rid of pretty much any addiction that I ever had, my mind is peaceful and I have never felt better in my life.
But one thing that i don't understand (and would like to get tips from more experienced people) is how to pull myself back to present, or how to stay present. Yeah i know basic question but here is what i don't understand. ET talks about being present in the body while doing some task, or observing breathing, but at the same time he talks about being present at the moment and to be fully focused on certain task.

Anyway, glad to see what You guys will write back, it could be inspiration for some other question.
Thanks.
Hi buddy, even I am trying similar stuff. What I feel is you are overthinking on this which is forcing you think more wide on things.

Regards,
K. Smith
Thanks, admin and moderators for building such an active and spam-free forum for our needs.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi fromthesount!

The discovery of Presence is both wonderful and challenging. Your question is very valid. For the next year or so, just consider "entering presence" as a sadhana, or active spiritual practice that you can do when you choose and do not have to do all the time. "Coming from presence" will evolve as your neurophysiology slowly transforms. It will not happen overnight and did not happen overnight to ET even though his initial experience was dramatic. Be gentle with your discovery and yourself...it's called "self-care" and is not really egoic any more than exercise and eating and sleeping well is egoic. A daily meditation is helpful.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kemlukorzi

Post by kemlukorzi » Wed May 13, 2020 5:03 pm

kemlukorzi wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 pm
fromthesount wrote:
Hey guys.

Excuse me for any grammatical errors, I'm from southern europe so english is my second language. Onewalmart

But one thing that i don't understand (and would like to get tips from more experienced people) is how to pull myself back to present, or how to stay present. Yeah i know basic question but here is what I don't understand. ET talks about being present in the body while doing some task, or observing breathing, but at the same time he talks about being present at the moment and to be fully focused on certain task.
Also now while writing this maybe i had thoughts that I even wasn't aware of... Should I be aware of every letter that I type on screen, and every move that I make, or it should be more fluid, more "in the zone"? Because when I'm aware of every movement i feel it can be exausting. MyCFAVisit

Thanks.
Hi buddy, even I am trying similar stuff. What I feel is you are overthinking on this which is forcing you think more wide on things.

Regards,
K. Smith
Hi buddy, isn't it so, as it is happening with me also at times.
Thanks, admin and moderators for building such an active and spam-free forum for our needs.

waverider

Post by waverider » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Eckhart has said in very clear terms that only about 20% of your attention should be focused on the job at hand rest of your attention should be focused on the anchor. If you don't do this thoughts will creep in. For example my anchor is sense-perception so i feel the weight of my body on the chair, weight of my feet on the floor, weight of my hands on the handrest. Rest of the focus (about 20%) could focus on the study material.

Nyseto

Post by Nyseto » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 am
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you don't over think this. That, after all, is the problem with staying present. The point in all of this is to know who and what you are. You can only, truly, know that through direct experience. Therein lies the point of becoming present.

It's not an analytical process, it's a feeling one. While the mind is running around trying to figure things out, life is happening right under its proverbial nose.

Consider, when you are feeling things, you are gaining experience. When you are thinking about them, you are creating perspective. They are actually designed to work together. To some extent it's the left brain/right brain issue.
fromthesount wrote:
As I mentioned above, it's about 'knowing' who and what you are. That's what matters. There is no mathematical formula for clarity and presence. It's about familiarity. The deeper and clearer the better. This familiarity comes through practice and experience. The idea is to still the mind so consciousness can be focused through its feeling nature. Do you want to read about an orange, or do you want to taste one. Which one gives you knowledge? And which one gives you knowing?

So here is what works for many. First the preamble: (read slowly) Perceive your immediate environment through your senses. Listen closely, smell the available scents, observe the visual content, feel the air and everything you are touching. Even taste the moisture in your mouth. Do all of this, one at a time and in whatever combination seems practical at the moment. Do not label anything, nor form any opinions. Do not think about, nor analyze, nor judge, nor prefer, nor reject any of it. Just feel it. Be cleanly aware.

Now, after a few moments of clarity on sensing without thinking, consider self. Consciousness. Feel what you are - not with the physical senses, but with awareness of being. Take a deep breath and relax into it. Rest here in this moment and breathe self and presence. Let go of mind and know what Being is. Everything else is just content to that Being.

The more you come to this clarity, the more familiar it becomes. You don't have to hold this all day. It would be counter productive to try. As you say it's tiring. But familiarity remains because it's real experience. As you become more familiar, more experienced, this marvelous state becomes more readily accessible.

You have a whole life ahead of you. You are going to need your thinking mind and all the benefits of its analytical properties. That is indeed a good thing. What keeps you from becoming 'lost' in thought is the familiarity, the experience, of your true nature. Then when life's challenges arise, and they will, it will be readily available to call upon to help you through them

Know this: that clear state of presence is where alignment is attained with our larger beingness. It is the source of our insight that brings us understanding in the midst of turmoil.

WW
Question about what you said. You mentioned it would be counter productive to try to hold presence all day. Do you mean it more as trying to hold presence leads to a lack of presence? Because presence is happiness itself so when you say it's counterproductive to hold presence it sounds like you can't be at peace all the time. I've heard this one guy on YouTube mention to stay with the I am 24/7, to not give it up for one single thought. Why would I not want to be present throughout the day when that's the source of happiness?
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Nyseto wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm
Question about what you said. You mentioned it would be counter productive to try to hold presence all day. Do you mean it more as trying to hold presence leads to a lack of presence? Because presence is happiness itself so when you say it's counterproductive to hold presence it sounds like you can't be at peace all the time.
This of course is just my take on it. 'Trying' can end up being simply a resistance to thought; where as presence comes from a letting go of thought. There is also the quality of imagination that is a creative art where thought roams in the realm of possibilities. There is value in that. That is why I recommended a deep and clear familiarity with presence so that it becomes a home or oasis that is always available. Or maybe I'm just not high enough on the presence scale to think and imagine when necessary while still being clearly present at all times.

Whether presence is happiness, I can't say that has always been my experience. It can be, but I've also been present with a lot of pain that I have not been particularly happy about. It has made the experience more educational however.

WW

waverider

Post by waverider » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:42 am

Webwanderer, is being-present your natural state? Can you ple tell us how long did it take you to reach this state, i meant how long did it take for the transformation from natural state being thinking to natural state being no-thoughts.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 am

waverider wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:42 am
Webwanderer, is being-present your natural state?
I would say presence is everyone's natural state. :wink:

The question I think you are asking is: 'is it my normal state'? I wouldn't say I'm present at all times. Not even close. What I would say is that I know where it's at. Of course it is a particular state of consciousness that is open to what is and free of unnecessary thinking clutter. When I seek more clarity on some matter, presence is where I find it to the degree that I am able. That presence to me is where alignment with my own greater beingness is found and helpful insight is available.

How long did it take? It's a work in progress. Understand, being present is not my only interest in life. I enjoy my thought processes, but I know what they are and they generally don't own me. Imagination is wonderful and creative asset when used appropriately. I still have buttons that can be pushed, but they no longer cause a three alarm fire. I can go off on a bit of a rant, but usually laugh at it in short order. I have a fairly clear vision of why I'm here and generally act accordingly.

I've had no personal gurus in my life, nor much in the way of direct spiritual teachers. What I've learned I've done so mostly by my own study, research and practice. As I've got some years on me, that history is quite extensive.

WW