The hope of 'being', in hopes of becoming

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
axetenuz

The hope of 'being', in hopes of becoming

Post by axetenuz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 pm

On the ocean of fear, goaded by the currents of becoming, all efforts 'to be' ‘happier’, every system, every book, every teacher, every philosophy, every success, every failure, every path, is an idol in the temple of hopes, wants and fears. They have to be taken away from us . They are a barrier between us and our (……….). It is in these desolate ruins one looks for the treasure of nothingness. A bleeding heart in which all idols have been thrown to the ground and from which all support has been pulled out wherein it has nothing to hold on to, is a heart that has the capacity for tears of Joy.

Given that the beginnings and the endings of things are hidden from us, one gives up looking. There is the perception of the incapacity to perceive, therefore one knows that one doesn't know. Then the flowering of humility.

axetenuz

Re: The hope of 'being', in hopes of becoming

Post by axetenuz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:21 pm

One wonders if we ask ourselves what is hope? What is it's relationship with desire? What is the relationship of desire with fear?

After all these take us on the never ending roller coaster ride on the mirage of becoming, which as we all know, ends with a fistful of ash the wind blows away.

Admiral Akmir

Post by Admiral Akmir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:33 am

Not so long ago I asked myself the question - What if I didn't practice meditation? What if I quit spiritual pursuits altogether?

I felt a sense of fear and beyond that a sense of liberation. I realized that I wanted these teachings to be true. Further than that I almost needed them to be true. The idea of quitting, or the idea that maybe the teachings weren't true felt threatening to me. It showed me that I saw spirituality as a way to create a story that was easier to live with than what was there before it. This is almost invisible and can be very difficult to detect. It took asking the right question to uncover the fear, which revealed a hidden desire. Beyond that fear was a feeling of freedom, the feeling that I could step outside of the spiritual framework that I had built and be angry again, be sad again, be whatever I wanted again without feeling that subtle sense of shame.

In a way, I feel like spiritual books or teachings will almost certainly derail most people in this way. It's like there are layers to be seen through, on the first go through we try to reinvent ourselves, on subsequent endeavors we uncover deeper desires and fears and continue to open up more as we discover the many ways that we can deceive ourselves. Underneath all of that there seems to be a desire for something genuine, a dissatisfaction with life, not in a desperate kind of way, but a feeling that we've gotten a glimpse of something and that it would be dishonest to live life without trying to see where it really takes us.

Louis More

Post by Louis More » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am

Hello Admiral
I saw spirituality as a way to create a story that was easier to live with than what was there before it
Yesterday I was reading an Adyashanti's book, and there he said something very similar to this, that for us to see the truth all teachings, all teachers, all ideas, everything needs to drop, and when everything drops the only thing that lasts is awareness.

Of course he said it in a very beautiful way, if you want to know which book it is let me know, I don't have it right now.
Anyway I felt very similarities with what you said, anything we attach ourselves is ego getting hold and building an identity, an spiritual ego must feel better than a sad one, but it is still ego.

Namaste

axetenuz

Post by axetenuz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 pm

There seems to be a need to add disclaimers on the posts to the effect, if you do not understand the post then ask.

If one does not have enough point of references in one's life, to understand what is being said, then don't just come up with stuff and say it. By doing so you will be exposing your contradictions. Again, ask.

The intent of the posts is to help us ponder on our contradictions, not to encourage its continuity by playing patty cakes.

Thank you.