The REAL I is not hurt so don't feel hurt. I Disagree

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
waverider

The REAL I is not hurt so don't feel hurt. I Disagree

Post by waverider » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 pm

I have been watching Rupert spira videos lately and i love the clarity he has on the non dual theory. But i disagree when he says if the real I is not hurt by insults then there is no legitamate reason to feel hurt. It's like you are with your friend and someone insults him won't you feel a shread of hurt yourself. If even someone misbehaves with a stranger we get hurt. Although all insults and humiliation is for the body/mind and never for the real 'I' still since we know our body and mind we feel hurt. No matter how strongly you disassociate with body and mind you can't really avoid atleast being slightly hurt when insults are hurled at you. What do you think?

Webwanderer

Re: The REAL I is not hurt so don't feel hurt. I Disagree

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:51 pm

waverider wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 pm
No matter how strongly you disassociate with body and mind you can't really avoid atleast being slightly hurt when insults are hurled at you. What do you think?
It kind of depends on the insult and the degree one may have already dealt with the subject matter, but in general I agree with your take on feeling hurt with maybe a few rare exceptions in the world. The thing is when one has a degree of clarity on their own true nature, and therefore on the true nature of everyone else, the hurt need not last as we can refocus on that clarity we know and see the hurt, as well as the conditions that caused it, from a larger perspective.

As you say:

"...insults and humiliation is for the body/mind and never for the real 'I'..."

WW

Nyseto

Post by Nyseto » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 am

waverider wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 pm
I have been watching Rupert spira videos lately and i love the clarity he has on the non dual theory. But i disagree when he says if the real I is not hurt by insults then there is no legitamate reason to feel hurt. It's like you are with your friend and someone insults him won't you feel a shread of hurt yourself. If even someone misbehaves with a stranger we get hurt. Although all insults and humiliation is for the body/mind and never for the real 'I' still since we know our body and mind we feel hurt. No matter how strongly you disassociate with body and mind you can't really avoid atleast being slightly hurt when insults are hurled at you. What do you think?
For starters, it's helpful to be told that one can gradually gain clarity or become more free, dissociate with the body mind, etc. It's easy for the mind to understand because it doesn't scare it right away to the point that it becomes even stronger. It's a type of coaxing to get it to soften up. But I'm going to take this whole thing one step deeper.

The illusion is that a personal self even exists-it doesn't. How can you disassociate with the body and mind when there is no one there to dissociate? From the point of view of the separate self, it looks like one dissociates with the body mind but from the point of view of awareness, there was never any dissociation because there never was a separate self. There is no one there to avoid being slightly hurt.

The real I doesn't exist, it just is. In the example you gave where someone was to insult your friend, the real I would not feel hurt....it would have compassion and compassion is not a feeling, it's part of the natural state.

And here lies the core of the teaching: going beyond the mind. What I have seen in myself and in others is that we try to go beyond the mind WHILE still being in the mind. It doesn't work that way. Going beyond the mind means that you already see that you are beyond the mind, there is no one who goes beyond the mind.

You are absolutely nothing, have always been absolutely nothing, and will always be absolutely nothing. You ARE freedom itself. You don't BECOME free of anything. See this clearly. There is no one there behind your eyeballs until you identify with being a somebody grabbing onto something. That is the separation, that is the illusion. The separate self doesn't experience suffering, suffering IS the separate self.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

waverider

Post by waverider » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Nicely said. I am realising that, slowly. 🙏