Jinxing Thoughts

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Jinxing Thoughts

Postby michal » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:46 pm

I often notice that when I think and/or talk about something a lot, that something ends up not happening. Usually it's something I am planning to do, or something that I am waiting to happen. I get all excited, build all kinds of expectations, and travel to the future possibility where it happens and it's all grand and great. And in the end, I get disappointed.

I started to think that maybe over-thinking something just jinxes it.

Does it even make any sense?
michal

Postby heidi » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi Michal - I think expectations of the future type (as opposed to, say, teaching our kids to be honest and accountable) are almost a promise for disappointment since that kind of thinking seems to preclude simple acceptance. I supposed expectations are fine as long as we also expect to accept whatever happens. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby michal » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:24 pm

'expect to accept' - say that 10 times fast ;)

I think I get your point, am kinda trying to do it. Thanks!
michal

Re: Jinxing Thoughts

Postby summer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:05 am

michal wrote:I started to think that maybe over-thinking something just jinxes it.

Does it even make any sense?

It makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know is "jinx' is the right word, but over-thinking certainly takes us out of this present moment.

Everything that we could ever need or want, is right here. And the interesting thing is, that only when our thinking mind is either quiet or sort of in the background, do we experience the wonder of being present here and now.

Our minds place huge expectations about all of the wonderful things that we are going to experience in the future. And yes, we are always disappointed when we expect that any outer situation is going to fullfill us.
summer

Return to General Discussion