My Grandfather is dying--would you give him ET audio book?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

My Grandfather is dying--would you give him ET audio book?

Postby lakeswimr » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:56 am

My Grandfather, I just learned, is dying of stomach cancer which has spread. He has 2-3 months to live. I'm thinking to send him an ET audio book like Stillness Speaks perhaps. Does anyone have any recommendations?

He isn't spirutal or religious. We are Jewish (I don't practice but ethinically I'm still Jewish) and he is pretty anti-organized religion but also because he was on the receiving end of a lot of anti-semitism as a child he is pretty anti non-Jewish religious as well. ET's mention of Jesus and The Buddah, etc might turn him off. I think he is a bit scared but also weary of suffering and said he would rather go than drag it on and suffer. I want to give him something to help make the transition easier.

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
lakeswimr

Postby erict » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:58 am

There are audio CDs of talks and retreats where Eckhart talks specifically about death and dying. One of those is from the 2002 India Retreat called Touching the Eternal. But as far as I'm aware there are more CDs where he talks about death, you can check them out and order them at the following links:

http://www.eckharttolle.com/tapes.htm
http://www.eckharttolle.com/store.php
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby barbarasher » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:47 am

I recommend the book "Advice on Dying and Living a Better Life" by the Dalai Lama. I am Jewish too, I think it is very relaxing and gives specifc advice on how the dying person can live and also prepare for the event.
barbarasher

Something that Might help

Postby DAKO » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:52 am

Sometimes the best way we can help is by not assuming someone needs our help. Perhaps a warm smile, a quiet moment with you and the connection of your touch is all he may need.
DAKO

Re: Something that Might help

Postby phil » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:42 am

DAKO wrote:Sometimes the best way we can help is by not assuming someone needs our help. Perhaps a warm smile, a quiet moment with you and the connection of your touch is all he may need.

Yes, I like this. Try flipping your assumption around perhaps. How can your grandfather help you? What has he experienced that you can learn from?

I'm almost an old man myself, and can tell you that most of us old guys would like nothing better than to feel we are still useful. Watch me trying to achieve that goal in this post! :-)

Maybe you could help your grandfather write the book he will leave behind for you?
phil

Postby lakeswimr » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:06 am

Thanks for the replies. My Grandfather died about 2 months ago. He was supposed to have 3-6 more months and at least 2-3 but he went in about 2 1/2 weeks or 3 weeks or so after the doctor told him this. I'm relieved he went quickly. Stomach cancer isn't all that easy a way to go. He basically starved to death. I did not send him anything except pictures via computer. I called him and talked to him like old times. I also wrote him a goodbye note which my brother read to him. Strangely or not so strangely I didn't feel nearly so sad by his passing as I did when others very close to me passed. I think this is because of my exposure to ET and other non-dual ideas. He isn't suffering anymore and I actually felt relief when I learned he passed because it could have been a lot more suffering if he had lived longer. I miss him and I feel sad seeing my mom and aunts so sad but I accept he has passed. He either experienced enlightenment, which would be great, or he is going to reincarnate (I think) and got to see all his loved ones when he passed (I think), so that would be great, too. It is only bad for us here who can't talk with him or be with him anymore.

Anyway, thank you for the replies. I always think I have to do something in all situations to try to make them better but I'm realizing that I can just BE and let the situation be and observe and wait for Being to do something--maybe through me and maybe not. Life can live itself better than my mind can. :)
lakeswimr

Postby spatialbean » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Hi Lake,

You seem so peaceful, that is so cool, and what a gift you gave your grandpa with your love and presence.

I love your statement of "Life can live itself better than my mind can." and I passed it on to some "Tolle friends".

Prior to reading PoN I used to try to get myself to let go of things by telling myself that I was sure God had a better solution to my issues than anything I could ever come up with. Then, it seldom helped hahahaha.

Love,
Claudia
spatialbean

Return to General Discussion