Getting "involved"

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Getting "involved"

Postby tilin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Hi, my name is Tilin and I'm a new member.
I have been searching for a way to get involved more and more in dealings with others that have digested Eckhart's books and so I found you. I've been feeling this great pull and I'm allowing the current to take me where ever it may go.
I'm half way thru A New Earth and I've had to put it down several times because the energy was so intense I shiver all over. My husband has already read it twice and is on his third time. Recently my husband and I have been interested in an intentional community and or a school for kids based on Eckhart's teachings. I have looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be anything out there yet. Any recommendations? :D
Thumbalina
tilin

Postby barbarasher » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:24 am

I'm half way thru A New Earth and I've had to put it down several times because the energy was so intense

Welcome!

I also feel that way. I have been reading and re-reading and listening to his stuff for over a year.
Regarding your question, I don't know. Maybe you could try contacting him directly through his web-site?
barbarasher

Postby AndyD » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:50 pm

Welcome Tilin,

You may wish to investigate getting involved with a 'silent group'. The groups meet and watch DVDs of Eckhart's teachings. In my experience what you get from these groups goes well beyond what you get from merely reading the books.

You may be able to find a local one at:

http://www.eckharttolle.com/home.php?se ... l%20Groups

Best of luck,
Andy
AndyD

Silent Groups

Postby BillyPLed » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:45 pm

AndyD wrote:In my experience what you get from these groups goes well beyond what you get from merely reading the books.

I mentioned the silent groups to a friend recently and she said, "I don't think I would like that. I want to discuss the material. I want to be able to ask questions of the other people there." I have never been to one of these groups. We do not have one around where we live. I am curious to know what it is about these groups that you do "get."
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby AndyD » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:32 pm

BillyPLed wrote:
AndyD wrote:In my experience what you get from these groups goes well beyond what you get from merely reading the books.

I mentioned the silent groups to a friend recently and she said, "I don't think I would like that. I want to discuss the material. I want to be able to ask questions of the other people there." I have never been to one of these groups. We do not have one around where we live. I am curious to know what it is about these groups that you do "get."

Hi Billy, excellent question. As you so rightly indicate words often introduce problems into discussing matters but I will do my best to describe some of what I "get".

Before I attended a group I thought much the same as your friend. I would engage others in the group in discussion before and after the session. Gradually, this need faded. This is not to say I do not enter into discussions (to deny something is to create a problem) but they increasingly occur only when necessary and only while watching oneself. This is an invaluable skill I no doubt picked up from other members of the group and one which I had only an intellectual understanding of before hand.

From the more immediate point of view you have some very good videos and DVDs to watch. Even if you could afford to keep buying them for yourself the likelihood is your mind would find something to destract you from watching them with the required attention and/or doing the meditation that goes before and afterward.

The most difficult thing to describe is the presence. This can vary from just a nice calm to something really deep. At one session recently the bell rang to signal the end of the 2nd/last meditation and no-one moved, spoke or did anything. Personally, I felt a sense of timelessness, deep flowing peace, I don't really know how to describe what was happening to me and apparantly the rest of the group - but things like that cannot be described, they have to be experienced.

I hope what I say is clear and has helped. I will attempt to answer any further queries on this subject.

Andy
AndyD

Postby BillyPLed » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:35 am

I can certainly see how that would be a very powerful experience. I am a part of a group at my church that would be more of a discussion group, although we also emphasis the more experiential level as well. I am actually growing tired of the format, though. I think I would welcome a less intellectual group experience. I am using that word "experience" a lot aren't I? I guess that is the difference. One type of group is more of a head trip -- lost in the mind and its many twists and turns. The other is on a more "gut" level -- it fosters Presence and Awarness. Perhaps it is time for me to start such a group around here.

I have also contemplated starting an "Inquiry Group" that would do the Work of Byron Katie. The problem will be finding the "time." Isn't that silly?
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Return to General Discussion