Consciousness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Dongle

Consciousness

Post by Dongle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:38 am

Hi,

I am very new to this community and have not had a chance yet to browse the wealth of experience recorded here. However I would like to note some of my personal experiences with those of you who might be interested.

I have called the topic consciousness because I have had, in the past, a remarkable ability to ignore. I am sure many of you have or had similar experience, and I have found remaining conscious a most valuable lesson. I would describe my experience with the teachings of Eckhart Tolle as a series of insights, I had been previously aware of but had understood in an entirely different light.

In the past my focus in life was to find some sort of self-understanding, insight and acceptance. Awareness of my thoughts was on the top of the priorities list, but for each insight, there was a criticism and for each criticism a further criticism and so on. Eventually, I was wrapped in a depressive state of self-criticism and found that I could ignore what was going on in my mind and my life and remain functional. Unfortunately, while I thought I was functional I really was not.

The first step for me was recognizing how I ignored in my life, the second how to remain in a state of watchfulness, and if I slip from that state, not to fall back into the familiar patterns of the past. It takes practice and is a challenge for me in many ways, but I have found that in watching, remaining conscious, these familiar patterns don't return as often as they did before and are diminished.

Lozza

Post by Lozza » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 am

Hey that's great news...your success is an inspiration for me, I like to hear of people making headway and how they do it. I know how easy it is to slip back into old habits. For me just to be aware of and to understand what ET has written has pointed me in the right direction, it the first step to my success.

Dongle

Post by Dongle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:57 am

I myself am very pleased to have finally joined this community, it is comforting and inspiring to share the experiences of others.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Welcome to the board, Dongle. I look forward to reading more from you. It seems you have jumped right in here, and that's great. I am sure you have lots of valuable experiences and insights to share.

k

Dongle

Post by Dongle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I missed the introductions topic....

Will do Webwanderer
Last edited by Dongle on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Welcome Dongle, good to have you here. But then where else could you Be? :)

I notice you have posted questions in several threads. You may wish to reference a specific quote on theads where there are multiple posts. It will save readers the time of going back through the entire thread to understand your context. Doing so will likely get you a more active response.

Anyway, welcome our forum.

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:29 pm

Welcome, Dongle. Glad you found us.