Meditation Practise

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Postby summer » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:19 am

The whole idea of meditation is a little funny when you really think about it.

Who we truly are is always present in every moment. And yet this phantom in our minds, called Me, who honestly believes that it is our mind and our bodies, thinks that it has to get in the car and drive for 5 miles to be out in Nature, to meditate. And remember who we always are, while driving in the car, opening the door, and stepping outside into Nature.

We are hilarious. Sometimes I imagine beings on another planet who are way more evolved than humans, just watching all the antics that we go through. Reading books, going to seminars, meditating, listening to Eckhart tapes. All to remember who we have always been, all of the time.
summer

Postby Katiebug » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 am

With me, nature is just getting away from man's creations, and going directly to God's. Its to get an uninterupted glimpse of His creations. Sometimes I get tired of staring at ugly brown buildings and old gray streets. But Summer you are so right....a blind person is always in that state with no choice. But then again I bet they would like a breeze and the smell of the woods.
Katiebug

Postby phil » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:19 am

Good point Summer, a sense of humor seems essential. The comic opera ironies abound...

summer wrote:And yet this phantom in our minds, called Me,

Speaking of which, the Me is both illusion, and so very real. 50 million people killed in WWII etc, all thanks to "Me". It's not real, but it is, both at the same time. Ouch, my head hurts...

Katiebug wrote:With me, nature is just getting away from man's creations, and going directly to God's

That's the normal way to use the word "nature" and the way I normally think of it as well.

Of course technically, the slums of New York City are just as much a part of nature and God's creation as the Grand Canyon.

I've observed my relationship with nature is highly warped by my own needs. I go to nature in search of beauty and peace, because that's what I need, and I find beauty and peace. As example, I always pick nice sunny days for my journeys in to the woods. I see the deer bucolicly feeding and say, "Nature is so wonderful."

I don't return to visit my deer friends on the nights when they are huddled together, hour after endless hour, against a 40 degree poring rainstorm.

It's starting to dawn on me that the sunny day walks are the introductory beginners course, and that I'm going to have to face and accept the ruthless terribleness of nature too if I want to use nature as my guru.

But I think I'll work on rainy days at the park before tackling New York City. :-)
phil

Postby Katiebug » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:27 am

Central Park is worth it Phil :!:
Katiebug

Previous

Return to General Discussion