Is vegetarian food better for spiritual growth?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dubhasa

Is vegetarian food better for spiritual growth?

Post by dubhasa » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:59 pm

This is one of the most confusing issue for me. Everyone has all sorts of opinions on this issue.
I would like to put this question to the group. I would like to solicitate your own experiences not opinions. Has vegetarian food or vegan food been better for the state of presence in your experience?

Does it really matter what you eat to sustain the body? Has ET ever mentioned anything about it?

No opinions..... just experiences please.

Regards.

jj

Post by jj » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 pm

Yes dubhasa, Tolle has mentioned that the body knows what it needs more than the mind. So if your body is asking for meat, give it meat. If the body is asking for vegetables, give it such.

In other words.. Drop all ideas of what will bring the state of presence. Nothing can bring it because presence is already here. True that it is not always realized.

What can best bring this realization of self awareness? Entering the Now.

I'm with you on maintaining a good diet. I mostly do eat vegetarian foods though I also eat the healthier fish. Maybe a couple times a year I have a pork BBQ sandwich, which doesn't make me sick. Having occasional chicken will make me sick so I don't eat it. However, tomorrow I may eat a whole basket of fried chicken and be elected to head the UN, I don't know. I can't predict the future with certainty.

As important as it is to be healthy, it is also just as important to drop any self-image of what kinds of food one eats, except perhaps as pattern learned from the past. A pattern is a pattern, but it is not who we really are. So the phrase "I'm a vegetarian" changes to "I prefer to eat vegetarian food." or "I'll have a salad please."

Blessings,
JJ

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Well said IMO, jj.

ninjin

Post by ninjin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:11 pm

From the Buddhist teachings and those of Ramana Maharashi its just so you can free your conditioned mind.
In the end if everything is one its just the universe feeding on it self.
Also eating meat and such is just social conditioniong for most of us.
Most people eat meat because they say it tastes good but most meat doesn't taste anything because its been made into crap through processing.
I have made vegetarian dishes that tastes just like meat dishes.

Personally I live by the codex of those who can kill an animal themselves can also eat it. Then I don't mean with a gun from a distance of 100m+ but shooting it in the head close range, or cutting the throat or similar. The rest should be vegetarian.

suraj

Post by suraj » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 am

I have made vegetarian dishes that tastes just like meat dishes.
Really! . I would love to know the recipe ..something which tastes like Chicken . I am a strict vegetarian , I confess :)
I AM

redindira

Is vegetarian food better for spiritual health

Post by redindira » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:04 pm

By habit and circumstances of birth I eat vegetarian food. A question which used to haunt me was, when even the plant kingdom comes under living things what about their feelings when we eat them. Every time i would chop Okhra(Ladies Finger) ,I would feel I am cutting a most pregnant vegetable, full of seeds, which have every chance of growing into plants.Everytime I would saute the vegetable on the stove ,I would find myself squirming in pain. But Eckhart Tolle, opened my inner eye.Just as the outer body is not I, so is the form of any vegetable or animal is not the being/consciousness/One.The formless is One .
indira

jj

Re: Is vegetarian food better for spiritual health

Post by jj » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 pm

redindira wrote:By habit and circumstances of birth I eat vegetarian food. A question which used to haunt me was, when even the plant kingdom comes under living things what about their feelings when we eat them. Every time i would chop Okhra(Ladies Finger) ,I would feel I am cutting a most pregnant vegetable, full of seeds, which have every chance of growing into plants.Everytime I would saute the vegetable on the stove ,I would find myself squirming in pain. But Eckhart Tolle, opened my inner eye.Just as the outer body is not I, so is the form of any vegetable or animal is not the being/consciousness/One.The formless is One .
Yes. Or you could look at what theoretical physicists are saying with M-Theory. That is that all matter is connected together, forming a single membrane through ten spacial dimensions plus one more dimension of time. They are realizing that what Tolle is saying in a different way - "That we are one with all that is."

Narz

Re: Is vegetarian food better for spiritual health

Post by Narz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:40 pm

redindira wrote:Every time i would chop Okhra(Ladies Finger) ,I would feel I am cutting a most pregnant vegetable, full of seeds, which have every chance of growing into plants.
Okra is a fruit technically.

And it doesn't kill the plant to pick one.

If you truly have it's welfare in mind, take some of the seeds out and plant them. Problem solved.

Fruit "wants" to be eaten, you know. That's how plants reproduce.

So go easy on yourself. ;)

Mason

Post by Mason » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:46 pm

No opinions..... just experiences please.

A commendable notion.

For whatever reason it has been my personal experience that I can not stay present as readily after I have eaten a meal which contains meat. Perhaps it is just a matter of my digestive system being more active, perhaps it is a psychological hang up, or perhaps it is something more profound, but nonetheless it genuinely seems to be the case.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:07 pm

nice plate of fish and chips goes down a treat
is that an opinion ooops :)

foxsin

Post by foxsin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 pm

I have had a couple of experiences of eating fish and chips in recent years where i tasted the fish and had to spit it out . My sense was the fish was still alive or not long since dead, not that it was raw, but that was the impression I had.

Since the beginning of this year I have been on a vegetarian diet, although I still eat eggs and milk. I do prefer to eat that which preserves the plant such as the fruit and seed than vegetables that use the main plant bulk. In a way I am not prepared to eat anything that I am not prepared to kill.

However, one of the reasons for turning to a vegetarian diet is far more simple. It is an empirical quest, to see for myself if it made any difference.

So far, I am happy with the results.

Jumari

Do animals have souls?

Post by Jumari » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 am

I have been a vegetarian for about 6 months after being a carnivore for more than 40 years. And although I truly do not miss eating meat, I do find it extremely inconvenient at times. Although ending the chain of suffering or living conciously and not being part of the meat industry that creates pain, suffering and eventually death to animals was my main reason for becoming one. I also assumed wrongly that I would lose weight. As I matter of fact I have gained a couple of kilos. Mainly because vegetarian food is harder to come by when you work at night. So I end up eating more bread and other carbs.

But the question I was really wanting to explore is.

Do animals have souls? And if they didn't, would that make it OK to be a vegetarian? It may seem like a dumb question. But the thought has crossed my mind. I came accross a gentleman who considers himself to be psychic and is a spiritual healing meditation teacher and believe it or not a professional ghost buster, who told me that animals do not have souls. And this actually really bothered me. When you look at a dogs eyes or even a cows eyes, they look away or you see that submissiveness or even fear in them. And to me that is enough proof that they do have souls. I guess no one in this forum would know for sure but your views would be greatly appreciated.

Intel

Post by Intel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Dude, you just copied my post a few days ago. That makes my ego soo mad!
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I think a qualifying question needs be asked.

What is this "soul" that animals, or humans for that matter, might have?

Why not just ask if there is a doggy or cow heaven? Is not that the destiny of souls?

Every thing is made from the same essential actuallity. Is a soul a thing? Is a soul made?

Are such questions even relevant to the clarity of living in present awareness? Or are they meanderings of a mind still attached to religious stories born of hope and fear?

Not that such questions aren't interesting, but might they also be distracting in the assumptions that must be made as precursors to the quest for answers?

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 pm

Every thing is made from the same essential actuallity. Is a soul a thing? Is a soul made?
The same thing everything shares is the energy of creation. Call it love; call it simply energy, or when speaking of food, energy presented as matter. What you eat is energy being transformed. If it matters to you what you eat, then it matters to you - it's matter to you. :)

This whole soul business, to my mind, is a little me creation, unless, of course, we chose to see the "soul" as merely energy; the same energy that is shared by, not just everyone, but every thing! Some might say, yes, but humans can reason and think, but who is to say that the "thinking" of other creatures isn't superior? Who is to say that the substance of being a rock isn't superior?

Whether you eat McD's or brown rice, what happens after that? It's all compost.

What eventually happens to every thing on this planet?
It returns its energy back into the universe from whence it came. Such divinity can't be improved upon.
Class dismissed..

P.S. I do support my local farmers, and sponsor poultry and the annual turkey, that's grown organically and "humanely" (that word is a joke, too).. Fresh food tastes the best to me, so I savor it and do my best to keep the producers in business, and grow a lot of my own food. Artificial sweeteners and flavors often taste like poison to me. I love smoking cigarettes! It's all energy burning or building, one way or another, and in the end, do you really think it matters?
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave