Inner Peace - World Peace

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Inner Peace - World Peace

Postby phil » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Our local paper did a review of a series of books that explored the fact that we are about to reach peak oil production. From here out, the amount of oil the world can produce will begin to drop, while demand continues to grow. The books explored the implications of this trend, none of which are very pleasant.

These thoughtful books went in to this subject in great detail but never got to the source of the problem. That is, the books never discussed our psychological need to consume, which Tolle explores with great perception.

I've noticed that the spiritual community, those who do strive with great passion to understand these psychological needs, seem to have little interest in discussing mundane worldly matters like peaking oil production.

The assumption seems to be that if we all just follow (insert your favorite technique/teacher here) then everything will work out somehow, though the mechanism by which that happens is never explained. There doesn't seem to be much awareness of how dependant our inner growth is on external conditions.

So, the inner and outer seem intimately connected, each influencing the other. But those who specialize in the inner and outer are not connected, each party seeming to prefer to assume the other is irrelevant.

If a more holistic conversation that bridges these divides is appropriate here, I'll welcome your thoughts.

How might the inner needs of billions of people be met before those needs consume the planet?
phil

Postby rockchuk » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:55 am

How might the inner needs of billions of people be met before those needs consume the planet?

IMO, this is why our #1 goal must be to live in Presence, to stay connected, to 'become enlightened', to 'live in the spirit'....whatever one wants to call it. If the mind of Man is interconnected, then one person who lives in Presence may add tremendous light into that collective mind. As Milton said, "He serves also who stands and waits' (or something close to that). Otherwise, what could a single person possibly do? The world is full of activist groups, and yet it continues to worsen. I think living in the Light as a child of the Light is the finest, most loving as well as the most effective thing we can do.......
rockchuk

Postby summer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 am

Great question, Phil,
And I agree wholeheartedly that a bridge between the inner work that we are involved in, and an outer reflection of these changes is very important

I have noticed that a change is taking place in so-called spiritual groups. Maybe it is because there are so many of us now, that we are involved in every facet of life. Doctors, lawyers, businesses, etc.... even politics!

And maybe we all realised that to truly help the world we had to spend some serious quiet time with ourselves. I honestly don't know. But I have noticed that a lot of the quiet "spiritual folks" are getting a lot more active lately.

And I am all for it.
summer

Postby phil » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:23 am

rockchuk wrote:And maybe we all realised that to truly help the world we had to spend some serious quiet time with ourselves. I honestly don't know. But I have noticed that a lot of the quiet "spiritual folks" are getting a lot more active lately.

Good point Summer. I painted with too broad a brush. You're right, there is movement from inner to outer and back again. I stand corrected, and have spanked my headline writer. (He'll undoubtably go overboard again in some future post, so keep your editing pen handy please.)

rockchuk wrote:IMO, this is why our #1 goal must be to live in Presence, to stay connected, to 'become enlightened', to 'live in the spirit'....whatever one wants to call it.

OK, I hear you. We are the problem, so your point is on target. I don't disagree with this at all.

I don't wish to pit the inner against the outer, but explore how the light generated inside might more fully express itself outwardly.

Overcoming the illusion of inner seperateness from God should be able to live alongside overcoming the illusion of seperateness from other forms, which are themselves God. If everything is God, inner vs. outer seems an imaginary division.

rockchuk wrote:The world is full of activist groups, and yet it continues to worsen.

Good point! So, we observe that many years of activism, and many many years of spiritual exploration have helped, but seem not to be sufficient to the challenge.

Which leads me to wonder if awakening minds can help us escape our conceptual cubby holes, and work together in new creative ways.

Maybe the spiritual community can contribute the concept that we are the problem. Maybe the political folks can use their communication/selling skills to bring this understanding to the public in ways the spiritual community is incapable of.

Maybe the scientific community can contribute a "Happy Pill" that mimics inner peace long enough for us to buy some time.

I can imagine billions of people taking a happy pill, I don't see them mastering the Power Of Now before the oil runs out.

Don't know. Bottom line seems to be that awakening minds will put new solutions on the table, or the evolutionary value of awakening is questionable.

Thanks for your observations, hope to hear more.
phil

Postby summer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:11 pm

I have never really understood the oil crisis as being much more than a political wild card myself. With all of the alternative energy sources now available, I think that the environment would benefit greatly if we started developing more of these cleaner sources of energy.

It would appear that Exxon and Mobile are persuading politicians to ignore many of the alternative energy sources.

I heard of this Congressman named Dennis Kucinich recently, and am very excited to learn that there is someone like him on Capitol Hill :D
summer

Postby Egoicmidget » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:18 pm

My thoughts on this are about what Tolle calls the conditioned mind and to my way of understanding the collective consumer needs are based on the fear based events of scarcity and the ""what if" questions of the collective conciousness, (sorry a bit of Jung slipped in there.)
The realm of higher conciousness suggests that those involved in the decision making process realize the limits of our planet and it's resources
and of course behave accordingly in there willingness to change the priorities.

Those who fight for cleaner more sane solutions to our scarcity are to be commended for their courage to engage the "big oil machine" and push for alternative energy solutions.

John
Egoicmidget

Return to General Discussion