I went to see Eckhart in London...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Ang

I went to see Eckhart in London...

Post by Ang » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Just thought I would share a good experience with you all...

I went to see Eckhart for the 3 hour intensive talk in London, and he was very good (and a bit taller than I imagined!). He had a strong but calming presence.

He mentioned his mother had died in August of last year and his father in the October, which was sad to hear. I think he was close to his father.

Towards the end he was wrapping everything up and explained that he was nobody special and that he was not really a teacher (as its just mentally labeling) and just then, there was a big projector screen behind him with his face on it, that fell back and nearly crushed the people who were sat behind it! He got up and said "See, no teacher"! and left to a loud applause. At least he saw the funny side of it!

If you ever get the chance to see him, just do it.

darren

Post by darren » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:10 pm

I would love to go see him some time. Gangaji was in London a few months back and I was thinking about going to see her but it didn't work out.

Lucky the big screen didn't fall on anyone huh.

Glad you enjoyed :D

darren

Post by darren » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:13 pm

How tall do you think he is? I thought he was short for some reason too lol

darren

Post by darren » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:43 pm

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/c ... 0x3900.jpg

Here's a picture I found of him standing :lol:

Slyder

Post by Slyder » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:14 pm

I too saw Eckhart in London, and found it a great experience.

He went into the topic of death, mentioning seeing his father's coffin going into the ground, and how fleeting all forms are.

Also got a chance to see Kim Eng in Bristol, she is another amazing teacher, and likes to laugh too!

Ang

Post by Ang » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:34 am

Yes, it was a good weekend, wish I could have seen Kim in Bristol as well but I had to go home back to rainy Manchester! Boo hoo!

Ha Ha LOL darren :lol: Nice picture! He is quite slim in real life underneath all that cream layered clothing he wears.

Anybody know of any group meetings around Manchester? Its hard to meet like minded people where I live...

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:46 pm

great stuff glad you enjoyed it

CFSLos Angeles

Post by CFSLos Angeles » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:16 pm

I am the organizer of the Santa Monica Eckhart Tolle meetup and am really looking forward to seeing Eckhart when he comes to Los Angeles October 29, 2007 at UCLA.

As I believe I posted here previously, I did see him at Agape Church four years ago and kept falling asleep! And although Eckhart jokes about the mind not finding what he has to say interesting, that was certainly the case for me four years ago.

However, now I am in a completely different space (i.e., have a much, much better and deeper grasp of his teachings) and am coming from "no mind" and am not expecting to "get" anything from eckhart. Rather, this time around just "being" in his presense for a few hours will suffice.

Everytime my mind says, "I can't wait to see him live again" (since I listen to him practically every day in my car) I remind "myself" that this moment is all there is and that "looking forward to seeing him" while fine in and of it self, can easily fall into the trap that eckhart talks about in A NEW EARTH of seeing the present moment as a "means to an end."

The idea that somehow that experience will be "better" than my current experience. Remembering this reminds the "me" (that does not exist!) that this moment is glorious just as it is. And so will October 29 be.

My "job" as it were, as Eckhart points out, is just to be fully present right here and right now. That's it.

Ang

Post by Ang » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:07 pm

My "job" as it were, as Eckhart points out, is just to be fully present right here and right now. That's it.

You could not be more right CFS.
In fact I booked my ticket 4 months in advance, and in those 4 months not once did I look forward to seeing him!!
:lol:

And the 3 hours flew by so fast.

Its good that you have a meetup in LA. There are not many (if any) where I live. I may have to set one up myself!

Enjoy Oct 29.

CFSLos Angeles

Post by CFSLos Angeles » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Ang,

In fact, that's exactly what happened to me. I kept waiting and waiting for "someone" to start up an E.T. meetup group here in Los Angeles. After a year of waiting and checking the meetup board every month or so, my mind finally said "screw this... I'LL start the damn group!" :)

Easily one of the best decision my "mind" has ever made! Even when the first few months only 1-2 other people would show up. My mind refused to be seduced by the "numbers" game, i.e., "more is better." And so each meetup was enjoyed just as it was.

Now, 9 months after starting it, I have to cap it at 20 because the Starbucks we meet at can't hold any more! (However, because the music they play inside made it a little difficult to hear each other, I decided to try holding the meetup in the park right next to the starbucks. Easily the 2nd best decision my mind has made regarding this group! 8)

Sitting at a well lit picnic table at night surounded by nature, i.e., streams, duck ponds, trees, bushes, rocks, nice breezes, crickets, etc. is SO awesome that it makes words almost totally unnecessary!

And so I tell the group that we could just sit here in silence for the two hours and they would leave at the end of it having had a totally awesome experience (or not! ;)).

However, since the group is not a silent meditation group, I explain (after just a few minutes of silence) that we are not going to do this, but instead go around the circle and introduce "ourselves" to each other. And then share the one E.T. "thing" that has helped them the most, as well as the one area that "they" fell most "stuck: in. And so off the meetup begins... and it is never boring, but always lively and interesting and even the "disagreements" and moments where egos come out and play are beautiful!

Love and Serenity,

Michael

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Ang wrote:Yes, it was a good weekend, wish I could have seen Kim in Bristol as well but I had to go home back to rainy Manchester! Boo hoo!

Ha Ha LOL darren :lol: Nice picture! He is quite slim in real life underneath all that cream layered clothing he wears.

Anybody know of any group meetings around Manchester? Its hard to meet like minded people where I live...
If you find any please let a Liverpool lad know! :wink:

Ang

Post by Ang » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Will do Mccpcorn! We might have to set one up ourselves eh! :shock:

By the way your name is not an abbreviation of McChickenpopcorn is it?! :P

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:59 pm

lol no, it's actually the old username I had in uni. Not terribly imaginative but original enough for the net!

I actually prefer the nicks I've been christened with online by others - popcorn, Pops, or popperz amongst my personal faves. :)

edit: Setting our own one up, hm? Doesn't sound like a bad idea actually... ;)