Question of happyness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
BrahmanEternal

Question of happyness

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:40 am

I know Tolle is a happy person but i m wondering is Tolle a truly, ultimately happy person.
I know this is a somewhat hard question to answer but we can make a judgment :), What do you all THINK, Is he happier then someone who has a different lifestyle constructed of material sources of happyness like extreme ego satisfactions that top movie or rock stars enjoy like being told they are gods etc. , or even people who use drugs like cocaine to add to the amount of happyness they get from life, for instance Ricky Martin is a person who could easily live a very easy and happy life without enlighenment, because he has personallity developed in way that its universally accepted in material society of the west.
Another question i have, does Tolle hang out with a lot if any people, does he enjoy company of other people, he probably has atleast a girlfriend or a close friend, but i wonder whats his view on this, how much time should one spend on other people.
Last edited by BrahmanEternal on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:55 am

From what I've gleaned from reading interviews he leads a pretty solitary life outside his teaching role, but he does have a girlfriend. He has said he enjoys going to Starbucks and simply observing people.

As for "happiness" compared to people who have every monetary and physical advantage, I would turn the question around a bit. Are those people who have all that they wish for really happy? What Tolle has cannot be purchased with all the money in the world, and so, it is unconditional. Take away those things which those other people have and what will happen to their happiness?

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:37 am

With growing popularity of his books and DVDs i think Tolle is pretty rich himself by now.
I m still puzzled with his simple way of living, just observing and being sounds like kinda borring i dont know maybe its just my ego telling me this in order to survive longer but truly what is important for happyness, if sex wouldnt produce pleasurable feeling who would merge body with anyone? Happyness is all thats important for happyness.

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:50 am

if sex wouldnt produce pleasurable feeling who would merge body with anyone?
There is a difference between pleasure and happiness. There are lots of people who are addicted to sex because of the pleasure, but they aren't happy; that's why they keep going back for more - looking for the ultimate pleasurable experience in the hope that by finding it they will also find happiness. That is a formula that dooms one to continual seeking.

Happiness, on the other hand, is our very nature, and therefore it isn't dependent upon any experience. What to the mind seems boring propels a continued search. Find the source, find the core of being and happiness just is. This happiness is not an emotional response to a given circumstance, but is what is here right now when the demand/expectation for any particular circumstance dissolves.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:06 am

Yes but still if happyness, pleasure, suffering and pain were all put on scale of HAPPYNESS, on one side Tolle's score and other side the happiest hollywood Ego who managed to get enlightened the moment he started to loose fans, the Ego would be a winner here.

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:09 am

I say Eckhart is very happy. He dwells in the sense of awe and wonder, inhabiting his inner body a lot. very little stress.

He does not need to watch his mind often, his mind is purified such that there are very weak inner conflicts. His daily action is based on very large awareness, because he is humanity, he is the earth. His intention is humanity intention, his wisdom is best of humanity wisdom.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:11 am

By looking at his eyes in one of his videos you can see the happy gaze, but my little me is wondering, doubting, calculating. :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:36 am

but my little me is wondering, doubting, calculating.
That's right. See what's beneath the little me, ignore what the mind thinks and see directly for yourself how it actually is and all of these scenarios you are concocting will be seen as ludicrous.
Yes but still if happyness, pleasure, suffering and pain were all put on scale of HAPPYNESS, on one side Tolle's score and other side the happiest hollywood Ego who managed to get enlightened the moment he started to loose fans, the Ego would be a winner here.
Says who? Where did this idea come from? You think that by having it "good" first then when enlightenment follows ego becomes the winner? You are operating under the assumption that outer circumstances actually have real meaning, and they don't! Only the ego sees the above scenario in this light. That is simply missing everything. I'm not sure your understanding of awakening/enlightenment is on firm ground. I get the feeling that you think there will be an enlightened ego when all is said and done and that just ain't so. All of that "good" stuff loses all meaning - having it or not having it just doesn't matter.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:51 am

BrahmanEternal has good understanding of itself. :) (how do i speak this way without someone thinking i m mad i have yet to figure out)
I m just still thinking about the inevitable fact that in this life some will have to die young, about children in africa, that some will be so much happier then others and so on. But this is so in life i guess, it has to be accepted as it is.
For me this is hard to accept, but i guess i ll have to or it will be even worse.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:56 pm

Iv just seen a tv show on prime time, national tv station, its called "Stars Extra", its about greatest stars, men and women seducers in hollywood and the plotline of the show read by narator goes like this "They are the biggest and greatest people on earth, they are gods and goddesses, dont miss this show, seduction is in their blood".
Now what kind of beleif system does this impress inside little heads of all the little kids in my country, i wonder lol. There is nowhere to be found a show about meditation, Tolle or Adyashanti or Steve Mensing.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:27 pm

happiness is not very deep, he has gone beyond happiness,
he doesn't require anything to make him 'happy'

Seancho

Post by Seancho » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Maybe when one sees that every unhappiness is unreal, then all that is left is happiness.

My definition of happiness: life without worry. Though that's not quite right, because even with worry you can be unworried about worry.

So then maybe you could just say that happiness is simply unworry.
If you stop believing in fear, is it still scary?

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm

I get the feeling that you think there will be an enlightened ego when all is said and done and that just ain't so. All of that "good" stuff loses all meaning - having it or not having it just doesn't matter.
Ok i know this question is probably beaten to death on this forum but i still dont get it, what do i do then when all is "done"?
Whats left in life to do, enjoy, get meaning from?
My littleme sends me feeling that i m in a loss here.
Many people say ego tricks the spirit, but this is trick of spirit for ego,
and i dont think thats really the best option for the ultimate happyness one can have.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:46 pm

I must say one thing though, after reading about buddhism, watching buddhist videos on youtube, watching Tolle's dvds , yesterday was one of the most peaceful days in last 5 or more years, actually i remembered my childhood days when i was worry free todays day felt like a day in kindergarden 20 years ago. What a releif after so many years of depression to experience this shift , i yelled from top of my mouth "i m happyyyyy" to the shock of people that passed by my motorbike.
But still the littleme inside my head cant help but feel discontent that its not in a presence of two hot chicks(who chant MY name) on a yacht during a pearfect summer day.

darren

Post by darren » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:52 pm

But still the littleme inside my head cant help but feel discontent that its not in a presence of two hot chicks(who chant MY name) on a yacht during a pearfect summer day.
lmao me too.