Comparative planetary and stellar sizes

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
darren

Comparative planetary and stellar sizes

Post by darren » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:28 am

Nothing to do with awareness, (well directly) but pretty cool anyway.

Link: http://www.co-intelligence.org/newslett ... isons.html

"Antares is the 15th brightest star in the sky. It is more than 1000 light years away."

I think:

1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles

1000 light years = 5,865,696,000,000,000 miles

Edge of the universe is around 15 billion light years away.

shappy

Post by shappy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 am

cool.

This video is great too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f0xDaBEKR9w

Shion

Re: Comparative planetary and stellar sizes

Post by Shion » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 pm

darren wrote:Nothing to do with awareness, (well directly) but pretty cool anyway.
Awareness is you posting, checking this pics, commenting,...

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:10 pm

I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 pm

Wow ... i cant beleive my eyes, and then after seeing these pics you see someone arogant walking on the street like he is bigger then anybody else, lol, really the greatness is only in awareness.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:46 pm

beautiful big balls

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Cool stuff darren.
Thank you :)

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am

Wow! It's so cool to see space and the stuff in it presented like this.

I find it useful to hold this perspective of comparative matter in mind when I consider my presence in the universe. And then it's not really the matter, however huge but the endless space in which those gigantic masses exist that's even more wondrous. When I contemplate my infinitesimal form, standing upon this miniscule globe, jutting my head at the tiny sun in the vastness, I get this sense of actuality.

I know it's my ego-mind that is putting the context of "me" into this comparison. And I know also how much my egoic me likes to ponder. But keeping in mind this comparison when I focus on a gull as it glides in the thin veneer of oxygen around this globe that I share with it, in this blip of clock time, it's really scary.

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and the only alertness or awareness I was told about was to be alert to the devil's intrusion with impure thoughts and such. Sin was spelled out, life was relatively simple: God created the universe in seven days, the bible said so and that was that. Don't sin, go to heaven; sin, go to hell.

But as I grew I began to break the bonds of all that. Now, these last years my eyes have been opened even more. It's a new vastness that I see matter in. The word vastness doesn't quite do it, does it? It seems to imply something with an end, something finite; like the vast ocean. Eternity is better.

I'm looking at eternity, both in space I look up into and in the flower I look down upon; the flower that juts out toward the same sun, and the pollen orbs within that and the atoms within those and particles within those; all just as present as that colossus, Antares; their presence manifesting into the eternity. My humble form is no different from all of it really except for sentience, maybe.

But nothing is familiar anymore. The flower isn't just the flower that I used to see, nor the gull just another bird. The comfort of that naive familiarity is gone. I miss it in a way, it was like a warm blanket that I had to leave behind. A blanket of unawareness that is lifting from my eyes.

I know now that I am one with the eternal. I don't know what will happen after the death of my form. But there is a certain comfort too in knowing I don't know and to just allow whatever happens to happen or allow nothing to happen at all, maybe just decomposition, disintegration, then reintegration. The eternal Self from which all manifests goes on in whatever form.

There's no going back now anyway, is there? Once I realize that all we have is now, that it's all we ever had, all we ever will have. But I am here now with all of it, Antares, the gull, the flower, the particles, all of it. And it's a beautiful realization.

Thanks, darren. I need a shot of that sometimes. But it wasn't pretty cool as you said. It was way cool. Thanks again.

Presentlybythesea
Every encounter in the present, an opportunity to affect collective human consciousness.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:50 pm

I enjoyed your post very much, presntlybythesea.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

redindira

Post by redindira » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:02 pm

wonderful post presentlybythesea
indira

blueviceroy

Post by blueviceroy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:12 am

No going back,

Shion

Post by Shion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:55 am

One day I've entered the Futurscope park in France.
There was a giant sphere called IMAX 360 and inside, the movie is projected on almost half of the inner surface.
The watching experience is like the entire sphere is flying. I've never imagined what I was about to see in the sphere.
It was the movie "Cosmic Voyage" and probably I was crying I don't remember, because I cry everytime the divine become apparent
through stories in the movies.
I was blown up and when finished, I've found an elevated green and quiet spot outside and nobody around, where I could lie down and watch the sky.
That moment was the first ever when I realized I don't need to smoke marijuana anymore.(Well, I then didn't quit yet)

So much to see is right before our eyes and is every-thing we see. But still it doesn't make a continous impact on most of humans (me included), how strange.
Maybe the missing link is for one to see that himself (itself) is part of this every-thing and feel the unexplainable miracle of consciousness.
Feel the direct experience beyond words.

Said that, this is maybe the most apparent pointer to awakening. And free, for every one.
Probably, science meant to fulfill the mind is keeping human on the intellectual trip.

But one day.... the new world....the awakened humanity.... I will dance in tears.

PS: In youtube you can find the Imax "Cosmic voyage".

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:20 pm

Journeymates

My alert Self can watch how my ego dances in delight with my involvement in the following musings. I'll muse anyway. Please bear with me patient journeymates:

There was a time when all that humankind knew of space was a geocentric universe with the stars imbedded in a dome which moved around the earth. The earth being God's center of it all. Some said music could be heard up there with the stars. Then a profound breakthrough. Despite religious orthodox, (from the Greek, the right view) opposition, which saw a heliocentric universe as heresy, (from the Greek, the wrong choice) a heliocentric solar-system "Universe" came to be accepted. The earth, by God, was going around the sun!

Then we knew our galaxy, the Milky Way and then the Andromeda galaxy our nearest neighbor. Today, the observable universe contains over one hundred billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of billions of stars. This 13 billion year old universe spans some 78 billion light years across. (Wikipedia) Awesome is a puny effort to describe this for me. Boggling isn't adequate for me.

I consider the room in which I sit now and imagine the space in it as if it were the unobserved universe, beyond "our" Big Bang universe. And over in the far corner, near the floor, is our universe doing its Big Bang like a kernel of popcorn. Could other kernel-universes be popping in various space intervals from ours, unsuspected by those quark-people on that proton-earth?

I imagine this whole unfathomed "room" strewn with popping-kernel universes of different ages and sizes; with ever different life forms in ever different stages of evolution. Maybe containing some journeymate, Azgliph, on the planet Arp, reading a Power-of-Now-like book evoking awareness. I'm sure the same God, Self, Essence that manifested the Power of Now through the form, Eckhart Tolle would be generating it here through the form, Eckhart Tzgliph too. Holy Tolle-do! Eternal consciousness rising?

And what if my "room" is a huge airplane hanger whose space is scattered with kernel-universes; full of matter: galaxies, stars, and planets. And "our" universe, the one that awed and boggled me, now becomes a trifling speck lost amid it all? It may be far and miniscule in the context of all these universes but it still contains that all-too-serious, yet strangely grinning journemate on Coolidge Ave. pondering an orb of pollen and the atoms, particles and quarks that form it, studiously comparing it to the "Colossus" Antares in the Big Bang.

There have been theories of an antimatter universe, and a multiverse, or parallel universes; some theorize that the other side of black holes contain these parallel universes.

But in the end what does it matter if there is just "our" Big Bang universe or a Grand-Canyon "room" popping with bigger and smaller bangs? A Multiverse, parallel or otherwise is in the eternity we inhabit. And it's eternity, that contains it all, whatever it's population of manifested matter or antimatter, on one side of a black hole or the other, that matters. I think.

I also think,
I need a drink!

No! I heard that, smartass journeymate. I didn't mean to say another one.

I somehow feel induced to see a movie too.
Maybe, "2001, A Space Odyssey". Popcorn anyone?

Presentlybythesea
Last edited by presentlybythesea on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every encounter in the present, an opportunity to affect collective human consciousness.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Great stuff presentlybythesea. Apparently something is unfolding in the imagination of being. I have had similar thoughts rattling around in my conceptual perception. As the battle rages between the materialists and design theorists, over the origins of life and the universe, the question came to mind "is this the only universe? or could it be just one of billions popping up beyond our ability to see." Is the big bang just an ultra-super nova, localized in an infinite space where such events are common?

We are finding that as much as the universe is infinitely large, it also seems to be infinitely small. There seems to be no end to sub atomic particles to be discovered. And as Darwinian evolution predicted that life would be simpler as we looked closer at its fundamental makeup, reality has proven to be quite the opposite. The mechanisms of life are found to get more complex in its most fundamently known structure. No one yet knows the detail structure of dna, rna or what organizes them to work together.

But then comes the thought: Is Awareness just a holographic perception engine that morphs into different apparent realities, created and fueled by some unknown mechanism of being? That space as we know it does not exist at all, and is no more real that the distance one travels in a dream?

Pass me one of what your having! :wink:

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:38 pm

This is great. It really puts things into perspective. :)
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."