A Noisy Squirrel Cage

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
phil

Post by phil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:48 am

summer wrote:Eckhart says over and over again, "don't pay much attention to the words that come out of my mouth. Listen to the space between the words. This teaching is not in the words, it is in the SPACE between thoughts.
I imagine Tolle standing at the entry to one his retreats, like the minister of a church, greeting the church goers.

As each student approaches Tolle takes them aside and asks, "Do you have a portal?"

If the student replies, "What's a portal?" Tolle says, "Come on inside then, and we'll talk a few minutes."

If the student replies, "Yes Eckhart, I have many portals!" then Tolle replies.....

"Time for you to leave here my friend. Return to your life, and whenever you are ready, enter one of your portals. From here out, the teacher and teachings are just one more thing standing between you and the open door."

Tolle says, "don't pay much attention to the words" and I am agreeing.

When do we stop memorizing his words and quoting them back and forth like Bible verses?

Once we have some portal, my words and theories, your words and theories, Tolle's words and theories....

ALL OF IT, just yack.

None of it the actual experience of now. None of it the space.

Now observe how controversial this becomes when someone with no authority agrees with the authority figure..... :-)

When the words and concepts we offer here no longer have any weight, there'll be nothing left for squirrels to chew on. No homemade cages left to rattle.

Then typing will just be music, just fun.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:57 am

kiki wrote:I remember having to memorize all sorts of answers to questions that the visiting bishop would pose to us confirmation students. Getting the "answer" right ensured our salvation, supposedly. My, how nervous we all were, for failure to answer a question correctly somehow showed we were not ready yet in the "eyes of God" to be a responsible Christian.
Ah yes, it's all coming back. The visiting Bishop, I'd forgotten him! Thanks for the memories.

Please observe my ability to not compare your story above to um, anything else.

Whoops, I blew it.. :-)

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:26 am

Yeah and don't forget that the bishop smacks you in the face as he confirms you.

It's funny now, we were being confirmed as "Soldiers of Christ" but all of us were worried about how hard the bishop was gonna smack us.

Plus the fact that it was the BISHOP. Almost a CARDINAL who is almost THE POPE!!

Scary. :shock:

summer

Post by summer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:38 am

summer wrote
Tonite, I have a wonderful question to ask myself. What is my natural way of expressing my essence? I know it isn't with words. And I know that it flows through me very naturally.
Well, this morning I sat quietly with my question about how my essence is expressed. And then listened.......

a body is breathing, it moves, and dances, and sings, and cries, and....and...and...the list goes on

This is life. All of life is an expression of essence. EVERYTHING is an expression of essence. All that we may call good or bad, or mindstuff vs spirit, or godly and ungodly.

All is essence.

p.s. (and yes.....even summer's words that she previously had thought were not essence :lol: )

L. Bryson

Post by L. Bryson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:58 am

" Appriciate where we are and the passing veiw "

That pretty much sums it up Phil! :?

L.

phil

I'M PISSED OFF NOW!

Post by phil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Well Ok, I'm just about fed up with what's going on on this board, and am not going to suffer in silence any longer.

Now, I come to this board in a sincere attempt to escape the boundaries of my ego. I really am trying hard to become being.

And then, just when I begin getting a handle on my ego, one of you has to go and spoil the whole thing.

Well, why hold back? Let's just get down to business. Yes, one of you in particular.

Have you noticed how every time you try to put up an ego free post that Belanker person has to immediately chime in and tell you how wonderful you and your post is?

This has to stop! Not in the future, now!

I'm getting afraid to post (yes, it's that bad) because no sooner have I added my post than she comes along and pumps a big balloon full of wonderful hot air in to my ego.

And it takes me all day to get things back in order!

How can I possibly keep up my carefully constucted image of being enlightened and so on while this.... this person... is still on this board.

Heidi, isn't there something you can do about this????

:-)

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:03 pm

...she comes along and pumps a big balloon full of wonderful hot air in to my ego...How can I possibly keep up my carefully constucted image of being enlightened and so on while this.... this person... is still on this board.

Heidi, isn't there something you can do about this????
Hmm, that is a very interesting dilemma. Since we are a liberal discussion community, it would be unwise to ban encouragement and agreement. Phil, I'm afraid this is a problem between you and your ego. You two will have to work that out, offline, we would hope. :)

It would be interesting to create an emoticon that represents ego awareness, so you could flush out that sneaky quail, bring it to the forefront of all members' consciousness whenever we see blantant ego stroking or posturing going on here.

I am procrastinating. I gave myself - ha ha - today as the deadline to get the last chapter written, and instead I'm hanging around here talking about presence and thinking - not presently - about what I really need to be doing. How's that for enlightenment?
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:12 pm

HOW DELIGHTFUL!

WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!

(And here I was, ready for some good dirt.)

Phil- you done trumped me, knocked my socks off, blew me away.

You Win!

I guess we'll just have to have a picnic under one great apple tree,
and laugh!

And when we play and throw apple cores at each other, we'll always know we're on the same side.

Much love to you, Philly

phil

Post by phil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:10 pm

be-lank wrote:HOW DELIGHTFUL!

WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!
Heidi!!! She's still doing it!! :lol:

Now Heidi I know you said we need to allow encouragement and stuff, but surely this all caps with colors stuff is ego inflation abusive, isn't it???

Not only that Heidi, why the other day she even said that maybe some of my posts were right. Yes, no kidding! I'm not exaggarating!

Now I'll be here for days on end, typing more and more posts, just on the long shot hope my ego could be right again someday. Isn't there someone I can bill for all this wasted time??

:P :oops: :twisted: :!: :lol:
It would be interesting to create an emoticon that represents ego awareness, so you could flush out that sneaky quail
Maybe somebody could whip a Dick Cheney icon in Photoshop?? I've heard he caught a sneaky quail posing as a hunter, and blew his head off. Cheney sounds like the man for the job to me. :-)

OK, sorry, I'm done being a comodian. I'm painting my house today, I think the fumes might be getting to me. I wonder what I'll post tomorrow when the hangover sets in?

Thanks for appreciating the gag Belanker, just looney paint fume goofin, there's no hidden message or anything.

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 pm

OK, sorry, I'm done being a comodian.
I think the fumes might be getting to me.

:twisted: Hahahahaha, being a comodian, I thought you meant another kind of fumes ahahahaha. :twisted:

phil

Post by phil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm

spatialbean wrote::twisted: Hahahahaha, being a comodian, I thought you meant another kind of fumes ahahahaha. :twisted:
Ran outta weed, so it's back to sniffin paint thinner.

Finally, the secret of enlightenment revealed! :-)

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Elmer here to pop some shot at ego inflation.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

phil

Post by phil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Ok, thanks Heidi. I feel better now knowing Elmer is on the job.

More theosophical burpage from The First Church Of Hydrocarbons:

I've had my head in the paint bucket all afternoon, and I still can't figure this one out. It's just got me stumped!

Too bad that Erik didn't enable the poll software of this board, because we really need scientific data to get to the bottom of this critical question.

So cast your vote please....

When grown men go out in the woods and kill sweet little defenseless animals to prove their um, manhood, is it pathetic, or hilarious???

I just can't figure it out!

phil

Post by phil » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:58 am

It would seem the now experience is a physical event in our brains, like any other experience. An electro-chemical occurence of some kind.

Future tripping down the road a bit, suppose someday somebody comes up with a pill that induces this experience?

Dancer could sit on my chest while Lisa shoves the pill down my throat! A real time saver! :-)

Seriously, 2500 years of teaching by a variety of very gifted folks, and we're still marching merrily along towards extinction.

Every day on cable news we can watch the clock ticking, tick, tick, tick, towards the deadline.

Somebody once said something like stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Now technology? Time to get outside the box?

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:14 am

Hi Philster,

Just nothing happening.

Guess I’ll give you a nut. (Or- you know, whatever it is you like to gnaw on.)

“It would seem the now experience is a physical event in our brains, like any other experience. An electro-chemical occurence of some kind.”

The now is not an experience. Experiences come and go. The Now is eternal, It is who we are beyond form. We have to be in form in order to go beyond form. (Chew on that.)

“Future tripping down the road a bit, suppose someday somebody comes up with a pill that induces this experience?

Dancer could sit on my chest while Lisa shoves the pill down my throat!”

That sounds like a lot trouble. We’ll just wait till you’re begging for it. It’ll go down easier that way. Don’t you agree?

“Seriously, 2500 years of teaching by a variety of very gifted folks, and we're still marching merrily along towards extinction.”

Good one!

"Every day on cable news we can watch the clock ticking, tick, tick, tick, towards the deadline."

Now you’re getting me excited!

“Somebody once said something like stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.”

Mmmm. Would you say that again, Phil?

“Now technology? Time to get outside the box?”

Dancer- he’s doing it again. I don’t know about you, but I’m starting to get hungry. Got them wire cutters?

(There you go Philly. Are you happy now??
I be plum tickled!)