A Noisy Squirrel Cage

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
L. Bryson

Post by L. Bryson » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:37 am

You've got it all wrong Phil, "fumes " do nothing for enlightenment.Try Dimetap, double shot, straight up. Does wonders for that pesky ego with a head cold :D

The proper dosage of decongestants could lead an army of Lemmings to the sea.

Best avenue of dispersing " now" chemicals....? As ex-mail carrier I always thought many of my customers could use a lick or two of " happy glue. " Get down in that basement Phil and whip up a batch of " Now adhesive."

L.[/quote]
L. Bryson

phil

Post by phil » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:10 am

be-lank wrote:The now is not an experience. Experiences come and go. The Now is eternal, It is who we are beyond form.
Well Ok, that's an interesting theory. I'm not disputing it.

But meanwhile, there are billions of people out there who have no portal to silence, and no amount of spiritual thoughtage is going to work for them. Historical fact.

It's nobody's fault, it's just that spiritual thoughtage, the language you and I love, just isn't for everybody.

I've heard a rumor somewhere on the board that there are those who have a passionate desire that others might have access to silence, and Whatever may be contained within.

If there were such passionate people, and they were open minded enough to see the limits of spiritual language, how might they proceed?

Will one of these people escape the narrow boundaries inherent in any system of thought, and find a radically new way to share this message?

be-lank wrote:There you go Philly. Are you happy now??
Actually, bit by bit, with your help, I am beginning to accept the role I have been assigned to play on this stage.

If I passionately play the part of "the mere thinker" then other actors here will be able to assign themselves the more glamorous parts in our little story.

If I give this gift to you, it becomes your gift to me. Nice. Starting to dig it.

Don't forget though, in a lot of classic movies it's often the village idiot or the court jester who gets to deliver the profound meaning of the movie line. :-)
Last edited by phil on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil

Post by phil » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:15 am

L. Bryson wrote: Now adhesive
Aha! Now adhesive!

You see, that's all it takes, one mention, and the creative visionaries among us begin their work! :-)

Daren

maybe i am Simple.

Post by Daren » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:08 pm

maybe I am simple...I like the noise in the cage. its quieting. I have stopped trying to "get it". I am or I am nothing. "god"is all or nothing. Oh. by the way...I am.

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:54 pm

From Overheard In New York:

Overheard id New York

Woman: Oh god, I hope nobody takes that out of context.
Man: Takes what out of context?
Woman: A thing I just thought.

http://www.overheardinnewyork.com

dancer

Post by dancer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:24 am

If there were such passionate people, and they were open minded enough to see the limits of spiritual language, how might they proceed?
By renouncing thought altogether! (Says dancer, standing on his pulpit.)
:)

phil

Post by phil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:59 am

dancer wrote:By renouncing thought altogether! (Says dancer, standing on his pulpit.)
Greetings fellow pulpiteer!

Ok, great idea.

How might "renouncing thought altogether" be explained, or otherwise given, to those millions who will experience the words "renouncing thought altogether" as the same old spiritual thoughtage they've heard before?

Not denigrating the concept, or it's expression. To the contrary, celebrating it as a positive influence.

Just observing, like a scientist, the historical fact that 2,000+ years of this flavor of dialogue truly works for only a few.

Not giving up, not declaring defeat, but also not sticking stubbornly to a teaching process that shows no evidence of being up to the challenge.

From whatever silence we have, can new ways of sharing silence emerge?

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:04 pm

How might "renouncing thought altogether" be explained, or otherwise given, to those millions who will experience the words "renouncing thought altogether" as the same old spiritual thoughtage they've heard before?
Phil, who made you the caretaker of the world?
Consistently you assume this responsiblity.
Does it pay well, or what?

phil

Post by phil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Ha, does it pay well or what. Now that's funny. :-) Little giggle volcanoes erupting here.

Nobody made me personally the caretaker. It only looks that way here perhaps because this ideology is sort of in the habit of attempting to stand snootily (and I can snooty with the best of them!) above such mundane issues as, how will the Tolle books actually get from Tolle's house to mine?

So if I bring up such a practical matter in a vacume, I can see where it might appear that I might be trying to solve all the worlds problems by myself etc.

I'm just trying to be a citizen of planet, and make whatever limited positive contribution I can make.

I have a teaching degree, and am fascinated by the process of teaching. Not spiritual teaching in particular, any kind of teaching, the teaching process. Check out the videos I made about bookkeeping software. This kind of pedalogical technique thingy fascinates me. What's the best tool for the job?

http://bookkeeper-for-you.com/support/video/index.cgi

Teaching college teaches you that if a particular approach has limited success, you open your mind up, lose your attachment to a particular method, and try something else.

If you care about your students, you don't just keep doing the same thing over and over again if it's not working for most of the students.

Some people's contribution to world peace will be their innate special ability, which they did not invent, to dive very deeply in these teachings, and become mystics, or whatever you wish to label someone who is "enlightened".

I have great respect forsuch folks, and have never said otherwise.

But, I must truthfully admit I am bored to tears with a notion that there is one and only way anybody can make a contribution. Also bored with the notion that being bored is a pathology of some kind.

It just seems so relentlessly impractical to maintain there is only one possible way to contribute, which just so happens to be the path that interests the maintainer. It's like jumping in a sardine can, and screwing the lid in over oneself. So many positive possibilities left untouched!

Why, my dear friend (sincerely) do you insist on taking a subject that doesn't interest you personally, and elevate your personal lack of interest in to a global maxim which applies to everybody else?

If somebody is able to say, invent a pill that brings the now experience to millions, why not applaud and celebrate?

Today's quackage! :-)

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:34 pm

So.... it pays well.

Disthpicable!!!! Quakersquitequacked!

(By the way- duckies are Fabulous!)

(You do not need to quake back to this.)

summer

Post by summer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:58 am

Dancer suggested
It seems that the problem with most of us humans is that we cannot stop the thinking that babbles on and on between our ears. We haven't learned how to flip the OFF switch when it is appropriate, and we would rather listen in silence.

To be able to think, when thinking is required. And to return to the stillness when we are done with thinking.

When we have each discovered this OFF switch within ourselves, then we are qualified to help others learn our methods. But until then, how can we honestly tell everyone to renounce thought, when we don't know how to do it ourselves?

The solution to a problem is never on the same level as the problem. Which is why so many of our good intentions never truly help others. And why the most important way that we can help others, is to discover this OFF switch within ourselves first.

When we are guided by a deeper inner wisdom, then perhaps we are qualified to truly be of help to others.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:26 am

summer wrote:When we have each discovered this OFF switch within ourselves, then we are qualified to help others learn our methods. But until then, how can we honestly tell everyone to renounce thought, when we don't know how to do it ourselves?
Yes, that is so true. And when attempts are made to explain it to others it becomes a challenge getting through to them. Some listen or read someone's words about this and can't quite grasp it, and so more words are spoken or written to clarify it. Pretty soon more questions are asked, and so it continues until there is this mass of words and explanations to wade through.

Until one sees this for themselves all of the words tend to just get in the way. But once seen, and the words and explanations are revisited, the thought arises, "Oh, of course! Now I know what he was talking about. Why didn't I see it before? What so and so said now makes perfect sense." Then you become your own authority and you now make attempts to explain to someone else. And so it continues. This seems to be the way of this awakening - it only bears fruit when it bears fruit, and no amount of words can force that fruit to ripen before its time.

But even so, words are offered. If it were possible, those who are awake would take away the chattering mind of those interested. This is the blessing/grace of those like ET, Adyashanti, Gangaji and others - presence can be experienced by simply being in contact with them through their spoken or written word. Ramana's greatest teaching was when he sat in silence and those around him spontaneously fell into silence themselves. Did he or they actually do anything to get to that silence? No, it's really rather mysterious, and yet it isn't. How to explain it? I can't really.

k

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:26 am

Dancer suggested
Quote:

Summer's response:

"When we have each discovered this OFF switch within ourselves, then we are qualified to help others learn our methods. But until then, how can we honestly tell everyone to renounce thought, when we don't know how to do it ourselves?"

Agreed. But lets watch assumption. Dancer might have an off switch.

"The solution to a problem is never on the same level as the problem. Which is why so many of our good intentions never truly help others. And why the most important way that we can help others, is to discover this OFF switch within ourselves first.

Absolutely

When we are guided by a deeper inner wisdom, then perhaps we are qualified to truly be of help to others.

Totally

(Go Summer!)

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:41 am

This seems to be the way of this awakening - it only bears fruit when it bears fruit, and no amount of words can force that fruit to ripen before its time.
Wise words, Kiki.

There also is a desire in those who have awakened to share this awakening. The desire for others to awake and to share in it. This desire is interesting to me. What is your impression?

(ps- the tea kettle is whistling- ha) :D

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:56 am

be-lank wrote:There also is a desire in those who have awakened to share this awakening. The desire for others to awake and to share in it. This desire is interesting to me. What is your impression?
I agree. It's like you discover this amazing food that you want everyone else to taste, too, except all of the recipes to cook it up and serve it don't work very well. So you keep experimenting with the recipe (explanation) in hopes that others will finally taste it too. Once they finally taste it then they are stuck with creating a recipe for someone else.

I hear the kettle whistling - time to take a drink.

k