Are there any guideposts, milestones on spiritual journey?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dubhasa

Are there any guideposts, milestones on spiritual journey?

Post by dubhasa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 pm

I read a number of experiences mentioned by folks.
Personally, I don't have any extraordinary experience so far that I can point to.
I only see a certain behavioral changes in me. For example, I feel much more peaceful and experience a general state of well being. I don't get bothered with issues any more. There is not much emotional up and down.
There is substantial control over thinking process and to a great extent disidentification from it.
Earlier I used to be worried with thoughts like, I am fooling myself or I may be on the wrong path etc. Now I don't worry about it that much. In general, I don't know where I am, I don't know where everyone else is on this path. And I am not bothered any more.

I am curious to see whether there are any objective guideposts, which are not tied to specific culture or religion.

Regards.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 pm

I only see a certain behavioral changes in me. For example, I feel much more peaceful and experience a general state of well being. I don't get bothered with issues any more. There is not much emotional up and down.
There is substantial control over thinking process and to a great extent disidentification from it.
Earlier I used to be worried with thoughts like, I am fooling myself or I may be on the wrong path etc. Now I don't worry about it that much. In general, I don't know where I am, I don't know where everyone else is on this path. And I am not bothered any more.
This sounds pretty good to me. High profile "spiritual experiences" can be very alluring to the ego, and therefore deceptive. What you are experiencing is what I would call true spiritual experience.

Edited to add: Look at this description of what it is like to be awake by Adyashanti. http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... php?t=2833

eyogateacher

Post by eyogateacher » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for the Adyashanti link Kiki

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks Kiki for putting my doubts to rest. There was so much resonance with Adyashanti post that I felt as if someone was describing me !!
Regards.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:57 pm

dubhasa wrote:There was so much resonance with Adyashanti post that I felt as if someone was describing me !!
:D

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Dubhasa wrote:I am curious to see whether there are any objective guideposts, which are not tied to specific culture or religion.
dubhasa, you may find these sign posts from Guy Finley insightful.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... php?t=2208

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:00 pm

That was a great addition to what Adyashanti stated. Thanks, Web.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Happy to contribute :)

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:59 pm

totally agree, the ego would love fireworks
or something ´special´ to prove that I am ´on the way´

Dondo

guideposts

Post by Dondo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 am

Your description sounds great, and reading it I can participate in it so thank you.

To me, guideposts in finding freedom are the absence of any internal voice or conversation, a feeling of great expansiveness as if that person I am in this world is swimming in a huge olympic-size pool (quite privately wonderful), and being absorbed and fascinating by trying to keep up with the moment, which is ever-changing, reincarnating one second to the next.

I am seeing things I have never seen before in my life every couple of minutes, if I am being consciousness and not relapsing back into some patterned fog.

Best,
Don P