The Lean and Label Game

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

The Lean and Label Game

Postby DavidK » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Okay. I know that "technique" can be a dirty word in the realm of non-duel awakening because all techniques must be ultimately abandoned before the Self can be realized.

So please take this as just a fun little game to play that just might help return you to the Now.

This technique can be used in meditation, but definitely try it when you are up and about, going through your day.

Any time you find yourself being yanked about by your ego/mind, pain body, or anything else in your field of awareness, try to notice what is arising as it arises and immediately Lable it. Do not judge what arises. If you find yourself judging it, notice that and label it, "Judging".

(yes, I know that words, labels and concepts need to be let go of eventually. But for the purpose of this game we make use of labels.)

The purpose of this is to move part of your awareness out of the thought bundle that is yanking you about and back to a state of present awareness.

So I'm wondering if the rain is going to stop before the creek that runs by my house overflows. My consciousness is in the imagined future, not in the Now. I notice this and label the thought "Future" or "Projection".

A moment of silence passes as I sit watching the rain.

Then I think, "I really should have bought that extra property insurance for my..." I notice the thought and label it, "Past" or "Memory".

Another moment of silent present awareness.

"I wonder if this technique has any real value to..." I notice and label it "Thinking" or "Analysis".

I walk to the kitchen in silent presence and make a sandwich. I walk back with the sandwich and stub my toe hard. I notice "Pain" and "Anger".
I observe the feeling of the Pain and the feeling of the Anger and feel into both without resistance or judgement. I'm present with these in the Now.

That is the labeling part of the technique. You can work with just that by itself.

The other part is to notice "Leaning".

Anytime you want something, it can be said that you are "Leaning Towards" the object of your desire.

Anytime you are unhappy with what is manifesting in the Now and wanting it to stop, it can be said that you are "Leaning Away" from.

Do not worry about trying not to lean. Just notice when you are leaning and label it, "Leaning Towards" or "Leaning Away".

Incorporate this into the Labeling you were doing before.

Don't get caught up in what the right Label for anything should be. Whatever Label pops into your head first is fine.

Try to play the game as long as you can throughout the day, even if you are at work.

Anyway, that's the game. Don't hold onto any expectations as to what benefit you might get by playing it. Just try it and see what happens.

Namaste!

Dave
DavidK

Postby phil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:32 pm

Nice work Dave. Complementing!
phil

Postby DavidK » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks, Phil. It's funny I was just rereading ET's, A New Earth. And I was at the part where he talks about the danger of labeling things.

Words, no matter whether they are vocalized and made into sounds or remain unspoken as thoughts, can cast an almost hypnotic spell upon you. You easily lose yourself in them, become hypnotized into implicitly believing that when you have attached a word to something, you know what it is. The fact is: You don't know what it is. You have only covered up the mystery with a label. ET-A New Earth-p25

Wise words.

As for the Label Game, the focus is meant to be more on noticing the arising of the thoughts and feelings than on any label that you might select.

The game is probably what could be considered a lower level technique. I find that it helps me when I feel far too lost in thoughts/feelings/ego to silently notice the arisings in a state of Presence. When I am feeling entrenched in ego, I sometimes try to use ego. Give the ego a fun project to work on that ultimately points to what lies beyond ego.

Labels impose limitations on things. In the game, I try to use this feature to break the power of the thoughts and feelings that take possession of me. Usually, playing the game puts me in a place where I can then move onto a purer technique like ET's Doorways.

Dave
DavidK

Postby phil » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 am

DavidK wrote:As for the Label Game, the focus is meant to be more on noticing the arising of the thoughts and feelings than on any label that you might select.

Right, gotcha.

DavidK wrote:When I am feeling entrenched in ego, I sometimes try to use ego. Give the ego a fun project to work on that ultimately points to what lies beyond ego.

I love this kind of approach. Go with the flow, roll with the punches, live off the land etc.

I have a little calendar where I keep track of how many hours I do sitting meditation, even though counting the hours obviously accomplishes nothing. That's OK, if counting hours is what convinces my ego to meditate rather than watch TV, then counting hours it is.

Is sitting meditation a bit silly too? No matter, not as silly as being sucked in to the vortex of the boob tube. That's an improvement, according to my ego! :-)

Whatever foolishness it takes to keep stumbling in the right direction.

DavidK wrote:Labels impose limitations on things.

Well, sure, that's their purpose. Separate "tree", from "not tree" etc.

The labels, words, abstractions are essential, yet they kill us too. Seems like a balancing act of learning how to turn the label machine on and off at the appropriate times.

It's a madcap merry-go-round ain't it? Labeling things limits them. So we label the labels in an attempt to escape. No wonder we're all dizzy...

Anyway, you're on to something interesting here.
phil

Postby DavidK » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:27 am

phil wrote:I have a little calendar where I keep track of how many hours I do sitting meditation, even though counting the hours obviously accomplishes nothing. That's OK, if counting hours is what convinces my ego to meditate rather than watch TV, then counting hours it is.

Is sitting meditation a bit silly too? No matter, not as silly as being sucked in to the vortex of the boob tube. That's an improvement, according to my ego!

I love it. So true!
And there's a lot to be said for maintaining your sense of humor! (as you certainly seem to :D )
I've read more than once that at the moment of awakening, there is a burst of uncontrollable laughter.

DavidK

Postby be-lank » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:15 am

David K! That golden, laughing Buddha! I am in love with him!

I am keeping this one. Thank-you. What a gift!

Love,
Lisa

You're a really neat guy!
be-lank

Postby heidi » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Me, too. Thanks, David! :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Return to General Discussion