Impediments to spiritual growth?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Lisa

Impediments to spiritual growth?

Post by Lisa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:11 pm

I am interested in finding out more from others about what seemed to be an impediment to your spiritual growth or overall openness to it. How did you get to where you are now and what was it like as you began to open up to it more. OR...were you always open to it and it has somehow deepened in some way? I have come from a very fundamental background for expamle and it was not easy for me to be open to even WORDS that were considered "bad" like Buddah!! (for god's sake!) So...if anyone would like to share I would love to hear more from you.
Thanks, Lisa

BrahmanEternal

Re: Impediments to spiritual growth?

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Unlike other technical forums for meditation this is an exception of a forum, thinking about impediments will only make the mind spinning worse.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Ok...I will consider that. Not sure what you meant by your post completely though.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02 pm

It's a great question Lisa. BrahmanEternal is right in one sense. That is, the search for truth itself is generally done from the ego perspective. If you think about it, who doesn't know the truth? Only the ego/mind.

That being said, the ego/mind can be brought into better alignment with essential awareness, making the transition from egoic identity to clear presence. So for me, there is a two pronged approach, at least initially.

First, recognize that life is lived in the present moment. We are the present field of awareness within which all experience is sensed. All thoughts of past memories and future possibilities are but content, created and experienced by that essential awareness that we are.

Second, any separation we feel from the content of the world within our awareness is a concept, brought to awareness by the mind, and adopted as truth, through which the mind then views the world. As more concepts are adopted, and as more truths are added to the the body of thought that is assumed to represent reality, an artificial identity is formed, named and lived as a separate self.

Alignment of mind and awareness will help in releasing ones focus from/through this artificial self.

So, how to enhance this alignment? This is where some good pointers come in. This forum is stocked with them, as are the books of the teachers we all love. I consider the primary enhancement is to get clear on the effects of judgment. Once it is understood that seeing anything in life in terms of right and wrong, is a self separating, ego strengthening habit that is fueled by fear, pain and resistance. Living free of right and wrong will enhance alignment with ones Essence.

Another primary enhancment is to live beyond time. Constantly reliving our memories of past events, and imagining future or alternative possibilties is an ego/mind favorite pastime. Live as often as possible without a sense of time, or clearly in this moment. Ego needs a sense of time for it's survival.

You ask good questions Lisa. Find the pointers that move you. and follow them back to the truth of Being.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:03 pm

Not sure what to say. Ego's are the only impediment then? Egos that don't live in the present moment...and don't know the truth. Ok.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi Webwanderer,

I liked this statement here. I am a little discouraged overall as I look at my own impediments which seem to be quite severe. Trying to be postive here.

"Alignment of mind and awareness will help in releasing ones focus from/through this artificial self."

Thanks for your response, Lisa

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:28 am

Being a human being. :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:33 am

All beliefs and opinions.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:13 am

Lisa wrote:Hi Webwanderer,

I liked this statement here. I am a little discouraged overall as I look at my own impediments which seem to be quite severe. Trying to be postive here.

"Alignment of mind and awareness will help in releasing ones focus from/through this artificial self."

Thanks for your response, Lisa
Realize the moment you think something in your head its a belief even now when you read this thread and think that you are discouraged. It is an attitude, just that, a position your mind takes at this moment in time, what feeling does this position produce? is it then a useful position, or an impediment?
If you want to believe something believe in something positive even if it feels unreal, but i suggest you dont belieive anything, just change your habbits and see what is inside body for change instead of head, you were in head too much through your life.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:45 pm

The purpose of this forum is to help bring mind into alignment with Essential Being, offering pointers through the maze of entrapping beliefs. Everything written here came about with the applicaltion of mind. All pointers are mental in nature. Does this mean all mental activity is helpful in that alignment? Of course not. Does it mean helpful alignment is enlightenment? No to that as well.

Alignment does however, straighten the path to clarity. Ego/mind is a knot of concepts and beliefs about life and self. Alignment of mind helps loosen this knot, eventually allowing the flow of clear awareness to release it completely.

shappy

Post by shappy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:43 pm

there are probably different impediments at different stages. Why don't you tell us what you're currently finding difficult? Maybe some of us can relate and possibly help.

On the most base level, self-honesty and the dedication to self-honesty should always be present. This helps with exposing impediments. And once they are exposed, they can be "dealt" with properly.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't be afraid to dig deep and connect with that wonderful and intimate part of yourself. In any case, there is no set path... everyone has their own path.

blueviceroy

Post by blueviceroy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:40 pm

The avoidance of pain and fear and seeking transient pleasures, are #1 and #2 respectivly
Pain in life is inevitable , fearing the coming pain is the instinct of an immature identity, just as desiring pleasure to aleviate a percieved lack is also the result of an immature identity.
Learning to accept pain and death as inevitible , learning that all selfish desires/ pleasures of the body are temporary and very often lead to more pain ,are invaluble aids is aquiring a more productive alignment of the entire mind/body
Desire is the instrument the creator/larger consiousness uses to guide us to the fruition of our purpose.
When all desire is turned to a single purpose a wonderful awakening will begin and it will become increasingly easier to avoid the traps of this existence that our ego uses to maintain the instinct that it consists of.
Ego is an evolutionary leftover much like our wisdom teeth , overcoming this primal part of ourselves is instramental in allowing the greatest part of us to emerge
We all posses another sense, it is the sense that allows contact with the greater consiousness, awakening allows us to realize this up till now unused sense and become what we were intended to be,
It is neccessary to overcome our conditioned existence and allow our true nature to become the place from which we operate.
Yeah,,,I think that just about covers that, So in essence , "When I became a man I put aside the childish things of a boy and pursued the ways of a man"
I wish only to bring some clarity to this place , may your path be lit with the truth of divivity

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:36 am

"Being a human being." Some human beings are worse than others, I mean SUFFER more than others though. Perhaps this has simply to do with acceptance or lack of acceptance of things the way they are.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:39 am

"All beliefs and opinions." Yes, I have heard this before. I guess I am so very much identified with my beliefs and opinions that it is difficult for me to think of what or who I would be without them. Maybe ridding myself of all of those is truly what "dying to self" means? To be a 'nobody', that cannot or has not ever been added to or diminished through any, and I mean ANY, experience.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:46 am

"Realize the moment you think something in your head its a belief even now when you read this thread and think that you are discouraged. It is an attitude, just that, a position your mind takes at this moment in time, what feeling does this position produce? is it then a useful position, or an impediment?"

Yes, beliefs for me are such a convincing FACT it seems. To divorce myself from my belief that I am discouraged is such a hard one. You mean what feeling does it produce for me to to consider that the discouraged feeling is only an attitude? If so, then it feels as though I am ripping away all security within myself of all that I THINK I know. Then I think to myself...'what IS real'? It feels almost like a void...but I admit somewhat empowering to think that I could just let it go. What freedom it would be, I imagine. I will do try that.