Experimenting with Consciousness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Suzanne

Re: Experimenting with Consciousness

Post by Suzanne » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:44 am

Webwanderer wrote:Suzanne,

I truly loved your post. Thanks for sharing. :D
Awww...shucks! :oops: Thanks.

I tried a consciousness experiment and it worked! This one's a little quirky.....

My family went bowling for an evening out, something we've never done before. I'm an awful bowler because the balls are so heavy.

So, I realized as I stepped up to the throw line that this would require a state of no mind, so I tried it. I looked at the front pin and just let everything else drop away from my attention. I was touching the front pin. I was there. I didn't think about my arm or the ball or anything else.

And you know what? I shot a 100! I landed a couple of spares and a strike, and I've never scored out of the 30's before.
Now, this didn't matter one bit because we were just out as a family goofing off together, but I was really stunned by how the presence took over my arm and it knew what to do all by itself.

By brother in law was doing really badly, and so I told him what I was doing, and his entire game went up by half! And he doesn't even meditate. It worked for him, too. Instant presence. Hysterical!

So, if presence can direct a ball down an alley, what else can it straighten out?! The more you play with this, the more it proves it to you.

We are one. :)

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:00 am

Suzanne

About your bowling experience,Tolle said something similar about professional athletes in their best performances being in a state of no-mind. He said if they think about what they are doing they will not perform as well. My brother is an avid bowler, has been for years. He recently started to read PON and did what you describe. Same thing happened to his performance. He was astonished. Tolle also spoke about artists too being of no-mind when they produce their finest work.

I think it all comes from being connected to what I call that special place. You know it when what you do comes from there. And you experience what comes from there through others when they are connected. I guess it's the eternal, the oneness, Self, many names, even God. I see that connectedness here on this site sometimes by some of our jouneymates. It resonates.

You said it well in your prior post, "I've already found what I wanted: My connection to everyone and everything. This new experience is a gift and it's now." That resonates with me. I know it's from that special place. So simple, so true.

I wish you peace,
Presentlybythesea
Every encounter in the present, an opportunity to affect collective human consciousness.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:26 am

Dear Presently,
Glad to know that your brother uses his presence regularly. I only played 2 games so I had to guess that it would continue to work like that.

Presence never runs out. You don't have to pay the annual fee or upgrade to unlimited usage. Ultimately, consciousness is not promoted by any large established part of the culture because they can't find a way to charge for it. It's the ultimate renewable resource, and there's no way to limit the use of it.

I'm a musician, and we all give up alot of thinking as we're playing. But until I found Eckhart's explanation, and tried it in my regular life, I never knew we were doing something really unusual. I think that's why it makes so much sense to me.

I wonder of others on this board have their own experiments with consciousness. :)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 pm

I don't know if this is an experiment in consciousness, but when I run I usually have a heightened sense of the whole spectrum of consciousness; thoughts, pain body, etc. The first phase is self thinking, "why do I do this? this is crazy....I am going to have a heart attack like Jim Fixx, etc". I have learned to watch it and just let my body run. After I have warmed up, a mile or so my thoughts quiet down and I can be in my body more intensely. Then self starts thinking how healthy it is being and how many miles I will run, and how wonderful it all is....then that quiets down and if I am truly present, I can just run.

When I am just running, there is little thought and my senses are open to what is around me. This effect lingers and I can be more present after I run as well--there is a glow.

In a recent interview, Adya said that he rides bike 3-4 times a week and does some working out. He said his body "needs to work". I found that interesting. I think exercise can be an "experiment", or at least an intensification, of consiousness.

Onceler
Be present, be pleasant.

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Suzanne

Wow! A musician? Great! What a wonderful way to express yourself. Yes, with no mind, of course. It's what it's all about, Suzanne.

Living presently is all the reward I need in life. I've been reading various spiritual teachers, looking at input on this site and other sites too. Some of it is really interesting, like the perspective shappy gave us in the beginning of this thread. But when you come right down to it, just stopping and being with life is all that's necessary, I think.

It's been my habit for some time now to read for a short period of time the first thing when I get up in the morning. I feel it sets the pace for the day, feeling maybe some new insight will be gained or at least the reinforcing of wakefulness. It's really all so unnecessary though.

Often my dog Bailey, will arise soon after, then run across the cool carpet and leap into the warmth of my lap. She no doubt wants her breakfast but likes my warm presence and a pet from me as well. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a cool paragraph and keep on reading. She reaches her snout forward and licks the back of my hand, insistent on attention. I sometimes pull my hand and the book back if the author has, at this point, a particularly clever way of saying what all the others have already said. Then I yield to the master before me.

Invariably, I put the book down and stroke her head. I feel the weight of her upon me, I feel the presence of her in life with me. I look at the aloe plant next to me, even reach out and touch it too at times. I watch a gull glide outside my window, then listen to all the house sounds, the contractions and expansions, without thought, just breathing, touching, listening, being.

I realize I have a master teacher on my lap. She took me from "The Book of Understanding" by Osho and brought me into presence. I find these moments to be much more powerful than any clever paragraph or sentence I could ever find in any book. It's really what it's all about. The realization of being one with life. It's all so clear. it's all unfolding in the space I share with it.

Soon my sweetheart arises, another soul sharing life with me, the aloe, the pooch and the gulls. Loving voice and kitchen clinks follow the coffee scent that begins to fill the room. Of course Bailey is off and running toward the kitchen by now to investigate the clinks therein but she's done her job.

This stuff is all around us all day long, Suzanne. That's what it all about. Letting it all happen. Experiencing it every time like it's the first time. Being with it, in the band, the bowling alley,the beach or the bedroom.

Now, of course I'm not an enlightened person by any means. Just an ordinary being living with all the familiar ego-madness about me like the rest of us. But I've come to realize that in the midst of it is life, real life. All I have to do is respond to the call of it, like the warm, wet, lick on the back of my hand.

Yeah, I know my ego-mind likes to see some effort at a clever sentence of my own to this site. I know it's there; I live with it. I hope you journeymates bear with it too.

Play on, Suzanne. But continue to only play from that special place. And bowl and laugh and really experience the moment. Ain't it a great, spinning, whirl of a ride around the sun?

I wish you peace,
Presentlybythesea
Every encounter in the present, an opportunity to affect collective human consciousness.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:54 pm

What a great post, presentlybythesea. :D One can't but help but consciously drop right into "it" while reading your words.

k
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 am

Thank you k. It was a bit wordy but I just tried to express, as best I can, how I sometimes need to be reminded that presence is already here. I don't need to keep searching for it. The pooch was just tugging my coat. Again.

I wish you peace,
Presentlybythesea

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:42 pm

kiki wrote:What a great post, presentlybythesea. :D One can't but help but consciously drop right into "it" while reading your words.

k
Agree with kiki. It indeed is a beautiful post by presentlybythesea. It definitely takes you beyond words. I think I know what you are talking about. Your post is very vivid. You know well how to convert reality into words. I suggest you should start writing more and I won't be surprised if you publish few novels of your own.

Regards.

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:05 am

Thank you dubhasa. This may seem off subject but shappy did ask us to add our own "practical realizations". It is about the process of doing that.

Actually, sometimes I hesitate to post an experience or practical realization as I feel it doesn't mesh well with the more casually written, though insightful, sometimes profound posts offered on this site. Some members obviously struggle with the English language yet bring powerful, heartfelt, meaning to us. Greater kudos to them for it.

I think my post might have the affect of ego gratification by calling attention to itself. But it's how I do it; it's the only way I can express experiences. I've been writing a journal for 30 years; I do it this way or not at all, so on the site it goes. I try not to bore but to make clear the experience; that can be wordy sometimes, like this response. That's why I sometimes include a "bear with me".

As for professional writing, I don't think so. I prefer to be like the archer who shoots straight for the sheer love of it. When offered a brass ring for hitting the target, he shoots less well, and when gold is the prize he finds he has two targets and is not the archer he once was. I read that a couple of times, once in a Demello book and it sits well with me.

Besides, what would I do with the money, get another pooch, a bigger aloe plant or more books for spiritual seekers? I've never been happier with just my sweetheart, my dog Bailey and some presence. By the sea of course.

If my words were of any value to you dubhasa, I really feel I can't take credit for them; they seem to come from the same eternal well that others on the site bring a cup to us from. And much more often and with greater clarity than I. We all are only the vessels though. Your sincere thank you was of such quality. Thanks again for the sip.

I wish you peace,
Presentlybythesea

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:58 pm

presentlybythesea wrote:when gold is the prize he finds he has two targets and is not the archer he once was. Presentlybythesea
Ok. That's a keeper. Is that one yours?

presentlybythesea

Post by presentlybythesea » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Suzanne

Regarding my quote about the archer, you said, "OK. That's a keeper." I think you said that, because it resonates with you. Something deep inside you, something eternal, knows this to be true. I think most of us on this site feel that way about what Eckhart Tolle says in The Power of Now.

I read the quote about the archer in an Anthony DeMello book, "Awareness" which I recommend. How I remembered it in my post above, isn't quite what DeMello said but carries the same message.

DeMello actually quoted a Chinese sage, Tranxu, "When the archer shoots for no particular prize, he has all his skills; when he shoots to win a brass buckle, he is already nervous; when he shoots for a gold prize, he goes blind, sees two targets, and is out of his mind. His skill has not changed but the prize divides him. He cares! He thinks more of winning than of shooting, and the need to win drains him of power."

He had been speaking of the discovery of who "I" is as mini-me discovered in shappy's opening topic.

Leading up to the archer quote, DeMello said, "If you're lucky and the gods are gracious or if you are gifted with divine grace (use any theological expression you want) you might suddenly understand who I is and you'll never be the same again, never. Nothing will ever be able to touch you again.
You will fear no one and you will fear nothing. Isn't that extraordinary? You'll live like a king, like a queen. This is what it means to live like royalty. Not rubbish like getting your picture in the newspapers or having a lot of money. That's a lot of rot. You fear no one because your perfectly content to be nobody. You don't give a damn about success or failure. Honor, disgrace, they mean nothing! If you make a fool of yourself that means nothing either."

I think Tolle and others like him are highly focused archers and a change is happening throughout humanity as evidenced by this site. I think mini-mes are starting to realize who I is, and that who we thought we were, for all of our lives, were only planted concepts of ourselves; planted by our parents, priests, Rabbis, Mullahs and many, many others. All of these planted concepts, with all the "good intentions" passed down through the ages, resulted only in a thicket of brush and bramble that we need to see through to discover the lotus, the eternal I of which we all are.

I think, when we realize that everything, including us, is the manifestation of the eternal Self, we bring into the world only love, compassion and kindness. We don't care about riches. We don't care about anything hurting us. And our arrows fly straight and true, like those pointers from the quiver of Eckhart Tolle.

I don't think Tolle wrote The Power of Now for the "gold" it might bring with the market as a target. If he had that target as his priority, we would have found the book to be perhaps, interesting, very clever, even exciting. The book might have rose on the charts quickly if he had been market oriented. It wouldn't have risen slowly as it did. But it ultimately would have been just more pap for the masses. It simply wouldn't resound the way it does.

I think he had only one target, to bring awareness to the world in very readable form. It came from that eternal source; we recognize it, we know it to be true. He helped us part the brush and bramble. We see through it, we see the lotus. And we remember our true Self.

Suzanne, I guess ya ask a person a simple question and apparently ya gotta get dragged through all this brush and bramble with arrows flyin' all over the place.

I wish you peace,
Presentlybythesea.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:13 am

Thankyou for that lovely response.
presentlybythesea wrote:Honor, disgrace, they mean nothing! If you make a fool of yourself that means nothing either."
I had an interesting event happen at school today (teacher). I heard a story at school about students making illegal and rather violent videos of faculty online. (They weren't actual videos of the teachers, just fabricated images with teacher's names assigned.)

At first I did not know if i was one of the teachers maligned or not. As I sat and listened, I assumed that I might be. I waited for the shock and horror to sink in, for fear, and nothing happened. Then, I intellectually considered how it would feel if I were. I can honestly say that I was not repulsed. I decided it would serve as a good lesson for all students who malign others online, and that as a teacher, that would be a good way to serve my students.

I didn't suffer at all. Turns out it wasn't me, but, even so, even if it was a friend of mine, I still did not feel hurt or wronged. The student's families are disgraced, and I actually felt compassion for them. But ultimately, it really doesn't matter. Nothing real or important was harmed. We are all who we are, regardless of the antics of young teenagers. That video says everything about them and their lax parents and nothing at all about the teachers named in the obviously childish video.

So, presence and being work both when targeting and when being targeted. And that's the true test of any truth: It applies on all levels and standards, backwards and forwards, before, now and later. A truth is not ever qualified by another condition. Truth is. Always.

What a relief to stop running to the defense of my ridiculously fragile ego!

suraj

Post by suraj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 am

This is a gem of a thread. Thank you all - Shappy,Kutso,Suzanne,presentlybythesea,onceler and others for the insight.
presentlybythesea - Even I have read 'Awareness' by de Mello but couldn't immediately recollect the words you you mentioned. Thanks for reminding,
I AM