Gentle Reminder - Buddha quote and presence

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dubhasa

Gentle Reminder - Buddha quote and presence

Post by dubhasa » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 pm

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Siddharth Gautam

When I read many user posts, it seems like many users are falling in the same trap as almost all religious folks fall into. Turning power of Now into scriptures. I sincerely hope that we all can keep spirit of inquiry intact however wonderful ET may sound.

Regards.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Gentle Reminder - Buddha quote and presence

Post by erict » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Yes, this is exactly how I feel when reading some posts. It's almost funny how egos without any real understanding of what Eckhart is talking about, are trying to turn his words into techniques to apply in their lives, in an attempt to reach the "state" of enlightenment.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:17 am

Let's not be too hard on our fellow members. One speaking from a new understanding that has moved him/her to look deeper into ones Essential Nature, while often egoic in nature, also serves the purpose of shifting our focus from blind obediance to concepts of separation, to recognition of light at the end of the tunnel. It is a beginning of the shift to awakening.

For some, it is in their egoic nature to speak from a position of imagined authority. It is part of their concept of self. For someone with this mindset it is certianly possible to get stuck in visions of enlightenment for a time, rather than imediate clarity and presence; but if ones interest is genuine, the debris of concept and belief will steadily melt away in favor of clear awareness. Patience with others who are working through entrenched concepts of life, is nearly as important as patience with ourselves.

shappy

Post by shappy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 am

I have come to realize that posting whatever you feel you want to post is important. Censoring yourself is not a good idea (unless, out of that censorship, you realize that you are censoring ;)).

None of it is personal (unless you make it personal... like our old friend ninjin). And if we understand that, then it is all just a way to learn about ourselves. Even the people who post what others consider horrible egoic nonsense. Or the people who come across as mean or... whatever. The world is our mirror. Let's learn from our actions.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:15 am

Webwanderer wrote:Patience with others who are working through entrenched concepts of life, is nearly as important as patience with ourselves.
Well said, as always. Personally, I was able to let things melt away in stages. It wasn't all at once. Life pushes and pulls us in and out of our old stories in unpredictable waves. We have to accept that. No one can know another's path. :)

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Very well chosen quote and topic.

So much is lost in religion, which seems to me a preoccupation with the egoic need to be right - and to enforce that feeling of rightness by seeking to convert others to that way of thinking. Once again the mind buys into yet another persona, and the whole cycle of assertion and defence and everything else comes into play. There is another very interesting quote by the Buddha in this regard:
My enemies will never destroy the dharma, (Buddhist teachings and practice)...only my followers can do that.
There is a freshness and an immediacy about Eckharts teachings (which feel more like sharings) that make turning it into a religion more difficult than if his presentations were more arcane, or were coming from inside a particular tradition to begin with. I practice Buddhism, personally, and have adapted an old Buddhist maxim to remind myself of the perils of falling into a persona based on what I believe (rather than what I experience). I tell myself that if I ever meet a Buddhist on the road, I will kill him! Meaning that if I ever define myself by Buddhism, I will be sure to escape from that trap asap. I am first and foremost (at least on the relative level) a human who practices Buddhism, not a Buddhist who practices being a human. That would be silly.

Ultimately religions seek to provide answers. But when one really engages in the practice of awareness, of presence there is a slowly dawning truth that spirituality does not provide answers. Spirituality provides an experience, and that is such a different 'everything' to answers. Answers satisfy the head (but only to a degree)...but experience? Experience satisfies the heart. And peace of mind has very little to do with the mind, and everything to do with the heart.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:08 pm

I think there is one often confusion on forum, to "everything" there must be a method, a portal is by meaning of the word a method, focusing on breath, koans, eckhart telling different stories to induce the now, these are all methods.
Stopping of the method is the method for power of now.
if telling people stop, dont think does it, great, but its still a method that was used to reach this.

blueviceroy

Post by blueviceroy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:57 pm

I will say that understanding is probably the best method , anything that is understood is within our power to alter.

Understanding the workings of self and the circle of emotion , though , spirit , emotion , thought , spirit we can better understand and love , rather than label and confuse.

Thats my method for everything , understanding it , how the understanding is acheived is of no importance :)

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:22 am

Dimension beyond the words and desires must be reached but one can not just stay and wait for it to happen, i think there must be a desire to stop the desire for it to happen so desire is good in this respect.
Free of need to be Free.