Awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Awakening

Postby HoldTheOne » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 am

Awakening is simply the dismantling of obstacles. If there are no obstacles, there is no need to wake up any more. The obstacles we have started out as seeds and have grown reaching deep into every thought and every cell of our body. If there was no buddha, jesus, or the countless un-named, the obstacles you carry are just the same. Any vehicle we use to clear away our obstacles eventually also get in the way, like sweeping, eventually the broom also needs to be removed to have a floor without obstacles.
No-thing lasts forever
http://HoldTheOne.wordpress.com
HoldTheOne

Postby Eldred » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Here is an interesting thing. Is it possible to "reach" the highest of high in awareness that Eckhart Tolle reached in other way than conscious suffering? Can meditation or whatever else take you so deep in your vertical word? I mean permanently, not temporairly.
Look at all those people like Eckhart Tolle, Siddhārtha Gautama (the Budda) and others' lifes. All of then expirienced incredible existential suffer. Do you know any other people who did not suffer so much who are trully awakened?
Temet Nosce.
Eldred

Postby Eldred » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Lately an interesting definition of awakening came to my mind. It's really simple and easy to understand by ego.
Imagine yourself as a finger who has forgetten that he is a part of the whole organism. The more you separate from the whole the more you suffer and you become tumor (cancer). What would happen if every part of body wanted to do something completelly different than the others in the same moment, resisting to the greater wisdom (compared to the mind in this example)? Sound funny, but still it gives some comparison ;) When you give up completelly, you are awakened.
Btw, here is a beautyfull video by Alex Grey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2GfaWEBdM&feature=related
Enjoy! :)
Temet Nosce.
Eldred

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:17 am

Interesting video. It seems like it would appeal very much to one's ego perspective. Not so much to the reality of awakening. The truth is so much more ordinary than the ego would imagine. It's a simple clarity of awakened presence, knowing the nature of thought and how its structures can be mistaken for identity. This clear recognition is the basis for an oasis of peace in the midst of human turmoil.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Thunder2008 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:13 am

“Fluids come together and the ‘I Am’ appears.”

Thunder2008

Postby Jonbudda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Awakening is such a interesting path of self discovery! Some times you are confused, sometimes sad and sometimes you may have spiritual experiences! However the context changes, the one who observes it is always here. It such a roller coaster of fun! And while i am in a "good" mood right now and i speak positively of life, their may be a time when iam down and depressed. There is nothing wrong with these states! I enjoy them all, and i don't enjoy them all. Duality, non duality, confusion, non confusion, seeker, non seeker. Time to stop wishing, time to start seeing.
Jonbudda

Postby Sighclone » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Duality, non duality, confusion, non confusion, seeker, non seeker. Time to stop wishing, time to start seeing.
Well put.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Wesley » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:20 pm

"Eldred"- Here is an interesting thing. Is it possible to "reach" the highest of high in awareness that Eckhart Tolle reached in other way than conscious suffering?
Yes.

Nisargadatta used "I AM" (practice).

Look at all those people like Eckhart Tolle, Siddhārtha Gautama (the Budda) and others' lifes. All of then expirienced incredible existential suffer. Do you know any other people who did not suffer so much who are trully awakened?

It's not the suffering. It's the surrendering.
Suffering is a 'tool' for surrender, but not the only one.
Pure spiritual practices can lead to surrender.
A thunderstorm can lead to surrender.
Looking at a ladybug can lead to surrender.
Wesley

Postby Seeker1977 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm not awakened yet, but I have already noticed how MUCH more relaxed and beautiful everything is around me (things, the world, my life situation etc.) when I am in the present. Unfortunately my mind/ego still too often takes control but I found two techniques that can quite effectively silence my mind/thoughts. One is doing tai chi; when I practice tai chi I am somehow "more one with my self and the universe"; and my thoughts subside; plus I feel somehow "elevated" and joyful. The other is listening to music that I like; I mean truly listening and doing nothing else in the meantime - just laying in bed or sitting on the floor, headphones on, eyes closed, and I am giving my full attention to the music. It also triggers that "more one with everything"-feeling, also causes my thoughts to disappear and also puts me into that "elevated" state. I wish I could always be in that state. It is so wonderful. Then I feel that the world is beautiful, that it is so great to live etc. I noticed that after these tai chi or music-listening sessions I can do things more enthusiastically. I guess the trick is that (for me) doing tai chi and listening to music suppresses my mind/ego/thoughts so I can be truly enjoy the moment.
Now... Can you give me an advice how could I abide in this state more often / all the time? It would be so wonderful. I know that I cannot "work towards" enlightenment like you work towards an exam, for example, "studying-studying-studying and then passing the exam". But I would like to "be ready" if enlightenment is to be given to me. Somehow I have a deep gut feeling that enlightenment was "offered to me" on a number of occasion (if that makes sense) but I was (spiritually) too blind to even notice it. But maybe I am wrong, who knows.
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” -- Buddha
Seeker1977

Postby tod » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:46 am

Looking at life, movement, moment to moment - is it any different than tai chi?

Is there actually anyone looking, or is there only thought to be?

Is the notion of a body, and the occupation of it, done by anything but thought?

Is thought merely arising, appearing, perceived?
tod

Postby Elle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

This journey feels as though I have gone through the door of no return... I am able to realize when I am pulled from the present moment, it doesn't even feel "right" when I start wandering off in the mind anymore, I get this weird sensation in my gut almost when i start to ruminate over the past or project into the future. now that I have/am experiencing what it is like to be present, I am able to be in the moment naturally and when I pulled out of the moment it feels unnatural, I almost startled myself at how I am able to pull myself back into the moment, it's like geesh it can't be this easy?! lol Habits that I once had, stories I was once cultivated have dissolved and it feels as though it were ions ago that I was in the space although somethings have only been gone a few weeks, they just seem long gone... There is a small part of me that still tries to rise up and gains some false security from projecting into the future but that feels so unnatural I am able to just let it pass without holding it in my attention...
Elle

Postby tod » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:02 am

Lovely post Elle. Thank you.
tod

Postby unbornawakened » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

My favorite selections and emphasis. (The opening of the inner door is something here that most likely no one will understand, if I understood it correctly. It is something quite different from presence or deep presence and peace. The words infinite and eternal point to this truth).
Webwanderer wrote:From Leonard Jacobson:
To awaken simply means to awaken out of the world of the thinking mind into the world of the present moment. As you awaken, your experience of yourself and the world will dramatically change. Fear, anxiety and conflict disappear as you enter into a world of love, peace and abundance. You come to know yourself as LOVE. The second step is to come into right relationship with certain aspects of yourself including your ego, your thoughts and your feelings. You must bring the energy of love and acceptance to every aspect of yourself. All judgment of yourself and others must end if you are to awaken into the truth of life. The third step is right understanding. We are souls on an extraordinary journey. Once you know the true nature of your journey, you will begin to awaken. Everything that has ever happened in your life will suddenly make sense.

When you bring yourself fully present, thoughts stop and your mind falls silent. But there is an even deeper level of silence waiting to emerge. As your mind becomes silent, an inner door is opened, allowing an infinite and eternal silence to emerge. This infinite and eternal silence is the very essence of your Being. It is your true nature.
unbornawakened

Postby Sighclone » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Elle -

You will enjoy this blogpost on the latest research into your exact experience of returning to the "present moment" and its effect on mental health, stress, etc.:

http://happinessbeyondthought.blogspot. ... n-why.html

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Elle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Sighclone wrote:Elle -

You will enjoy this blogpost on the latest research into your exact experience of returning to the "present moment" and its effect on mental health, stress, etc.:

http://happinessbeyondthought.blogspot. ... n-why.html

Andy

I'm most grateful to you for the link!!!! :D I have a question which seems fitting as I have began to wonder this pretty often, what is classified as "meditation" , I have heard that it is not necessarily sitting with your legs crossed, eyes closed and using mudras, some say that the simple act of being present is meditation in itself.... thoughts?
Elle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion