Awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Awakening

Postby jax » Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm

I'm new to this forum, but not to the content. I know there are little places (even BIG places) where I'm not perfect. When spiritual teachers say I have to have integrity in everything, it bothers me. I'm not always open and honest with myself or my loved ones, and I know it's out of fear of rejection or reprisals. Anyone here who has dealt with this in themselves? (be kind) jax :roll:
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, If I can ease one pain, Then my life will not have been in vain." -
-- Emily Elizabeth Dickinson
jax

Postby meaname » Fri May 16, 2008 1:12 am

jax,

We are always new, each and every moment in the flux of constant change. You know there is nothing to fear and you know it is you, from the ego, that is afraid. Leave all of your fear behind you. See the past with the clarity of consciousness and dissolve all of the illusion which created your fear. Leave the past behind you. What is done is done and is no longer you and no longer has an affect on you. When you see clearly you will see there is nothing to fear, not from past conditioning, not from now, not from a fictitious future. Remember at this juncture there will be other egos that do not see from your level of consciousness.

Integrity happens when you are moving in alignment: body, mind and spirit. When you are here all your actions move from the true Self and are not egoic. These actions will not result in rejection or reprisal. Another's ego may react, but this is due to their conditioning. When your feeling, your thinking, your doing and your speaking are one with your true Self you are integrated and everything about you has integrity. Work on revealing your true Self and the rest will fall into place.

You will find it hard not to find someone who has not dealt with the issue you are concerned with. :)

Peace and Love...
meaname

Postby anna » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 am

You cannot be talking about a person in the light because
the one who knows is all of us including the one
who makes the sky and earth exist.

Did the question excuse the person from
the mirror from being absent from
the presence from the one known
as 'The Infinite?' Eckhart spoke
of it as presense but the true
word is Jehovah or Creator.

Why is man impatient? The One is
alway present, never absent once.

It's a crux to be alarmed by
people who feel the Infinite
is anything but peaceful.

People do it to ignore the
obvious, like talk to themselves.
They are the One.

Incessant mind chatter
causes people to speak
of the One as absent though
to the listening ear and otherwise
the person is present always even
in dead silence.

Why call a person by name?
To avoid the obvious they're here
already.
anna

Postby powerbowler » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 pm

I have read the Power of Now and it does indeed give powerful reasons for being in the present as your life unfolds . I have been [ trying ] to practice Zen Buddhism for a few years now and the book has helped me to understand the constant reminder of the teaching " to look where you stand now " . The only thing missing , and i have not yet found it in any of the views or discussions , is that you need to have a strong moral code, be it the Five Precepts or the Ten Commandments . The main reason being that it is very hard to stay in the present while the mind has guilt as a weapon.
powerbowler

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:59 pm

powerbowler wrote:I have read the Power of Now and it does indeed give powerful reasons for being in the present as your life unfolds . I have been [ trying ] to practice Zen Buddhism for a few years now and the book has helped me to understand the constant reminder of the teaching " to look where you stand now " . The only thing missing , and i have not yet found it in any of the views or discussions , is that you need to have a strong moral code, be it the Five Precepts or the Ten Commandments . The main reason being that it is very hard to stay in the present while the mind has guilt as a weapon.

Welcome powerbowler, good to have you drop in.

When considering the Ten Commandments, one must also consider which Ten? Depending on the source some versions tend to differ. Looking even deeper, the oldest known texts of what is known as the Ten Commandments weren't commandments at all. The bulk of them had this precept in front of them: "If you have God in your heart," thou shall not...(whatever sin). It appears the later versions eliminated the precept in order to add authority to these trueisms. I'm sure they ment well.

The point being that one who is clear on their true nature, and their relationship with God, will not have to live with moral codes at all, because it is clear that how we treat the least of us, you also treat "me".

As to the mind having guilt as a weapon, no doubt you are correct. However, as one lives outside the mind, the weapons it uses become impotent. That is the message of Power of Now - that we do not have to be victimized by our own beliefs and self judments. We can instead live in the freedom of thought free, presence awareness.

Again welcome to the forum,

WW
Webwanderer

Postby James » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:26 am

Jesus whittled the 10 commandments down to basically two.

-Love God
-Love thy neighbor as thyself.

When we choose to live in Presence, which is what "Christ" is, it embodies forgiveness, love, compassion and any needed virtues; this all exists impersonally. Always already is, in the realized Now. We need only awaken to what is this moment.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."
James

Postby HermitLoon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:12 am

What some have called "Awakening" - for me - was simply a spontaneous transformation of my consciousness/awareness of "Being" - there was no conscious "choice" involved.
I became suddenly aware of "Being" beyond mind/words/thoughts - and it is peaceful, joyful, accepting and inclusive - now - and devoid of any seeking or wanting or efforting to know - or to have - or to be - anything.
If "efforting" had been required it would never have happened since I formerly had no interest in "The Spiritual".
Since then I have read all the spiritual books and words that have been presented and they are often resonant "fingers pointing" - but the actual experience is beyond words :)
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby Sighclone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 pm

HL -

Since joining this forum, you have been a great benefit to us all. Thanks for hanging around!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Sighclone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 pm

powerbowler -

Welcome! You mention [trying] to practice Zen Buddhism. Trying is 'failing with honor.' But it is failing. Now Adyashanti says his 12 years as a Zen Buddhist were all failure for him. Of course, they gave context to his later revelations. His website is adyashanti.org. But Eckhart is not about failure, and neither is Adya. Here are some suggestions to improve your progress. They are only suggestions, do with them what you choose.

1) Get a copy of Eckhart's 'Gateways to Now' CD. It offers some simple meditation techniques. Try amazon.

2) Read this essay: http://www.kktanhp.com/a_simple_practic ... kening.htm . I am not stating here that this guy has the answers, but he has spent a hell of a long time investigating nondualism and teaching meditation. Also, he talks about the Ten Commandments and the Five Precepts. The rest of this website is interesting also.

3) Really explore what is going on with the moral code and the mind's guilt trip etc. Who is influenced by that? Is it the egoic self or the transcendant unity consciousness self. And which one are you?

Explore Maharaj and Maharshi - both respected by Eckhart.

Surrender and acceptance are keys. Welcome again!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby HermitLoon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 pm

or maybe, as an alternative, here? http://www.thework.com
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby NoordZee » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 am

The Awakening post is very timely for me. This is what I wrote in a Blog elsewhere:

"I live opposite a National Park that is called the Dandenongs in Victoria, Australia. A few weeks ago, I drove my car to the top of One Tree Hill, some 5 minutes drive away and parked it there. I felt in need of some peace and quiet, so I selected a forest track and started walking. After some 30 minutes, I reached a spot where I saw a very small track leading away from the main one. I explored this and barely 3 minutes later this track ended and I sat down.

Suddenly, I became aware of movement in the trees. I noted small birds flitting to and fro and from time to time I could hear twittering. I focused my attention on the trees and noted also multi colored birds, Parakeets and Rosellas. I then became aware of the wind soughing through the top of the trees. Small whisps of fluffy clouds were visisble. It was pleasantly warm. Then I heard "thump, thump, thump" and knew, although I did not see it, that a kangaroo was going about its business nearby. Then a Lyrebird came briefly in view and disappeared again in the shrubs. I heard insects buzzing all over the place. A line of ants were parading in front of me on their way to who knows where. Wild Rhododendrons displayed beautiful flowers and the smell of eucalyptus hung heavy in the air. I was enthralled at the beauty of the landscape around me. I could see the King Lake Mountains between the trees and below me, at some 35 km distance, I saw Melbourne centre with its tall buildings shrouded in a haze.

Before I knew it, a full hour had passed and I had no recollection of the fact that I had been sitting there all the time. Spiritual teachers will tell you that I must have in the Present, in the timeless Now. Time then ceases to have meaning. When in the Present, you don't think of the past nor of the future. You just are and take in the beauty of the landscape. My thinking restarted as soon as I started to move but I was grateful for that hour of peace and quiet."

I have longer periods now that I don't specifically think of the past with all its mistakes and regrets or the future with all its fearsome unknowns. I wonder though to what extent I am simply suppressing my fears by telling myself that I am in the Present or whether I finally am starting to make progress. I just don't know. The only thing that I know is that when I get the beginnings of a thought that I don't want to think, I immediately tell myself: "Hello, here we go again. I cannot change the past and therefore it is not logical to worry about it. Neither can I change the future, so why should I waste valuable time to be anxious about it." I then focus on something else and the thought often disappears again. When I look at all the experiences that so many forum posts describe, I still have a very long way to go.
"Veritas vos liberabit"
NoordZee

Postby Sighclone » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm

NoordZee -

You should learn some meditation technique. I've spent many an hour in meditation which seemed to take one minute. And the truth will free us all.

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

Postby NoordZee » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 am

Yes, I agree that meditation is supposed to be very good for you. I have the Insight CD from the Immrama Institute which helps you go into a deeper state of meditation. However, it is early days yet and I somehow do not always seem to come round listening to this CD on a daily basis. I must discipline myself.
"Veritas vos liberabit"
NoordZee

Postby PlutoISaplanet » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:11 pm

NoordZee wrote:The Awakening post is very timely for me. This is what I wrote in a Blog elsewhere:

"]I have longer periods now that I don't specifically think of the past with all its mistakes and regrets or the future with all its fearsome unknowns. I wonder though to what extent I am simply suppressing my fears by telling myself that I am in the Present or whether I finally am starting to make progress. I just don't know. The only thing that I know is that when I get the beginnings of a thought that I don't want to think, I immediately tell myself: "Hello, here we go again. I cannot change the past and therefore it is not logical to worry about it. Neither can I change the future, so why should I waste valuable time to be anxious about it." I then focus on something else and the thought often disappears again. When I look at all the experiences that so many forum posts describe, I still have a very long way to go.[/color]

NoordZee, I was having that very same thought this morning. How do I know if I'm just pushing my fears away and pretending like everything's okay? I've been going through a period of upheaval in the last few months - my old ways are falling away, and I don't know what the new ways look like. It's triggered a return of my daily anxiety, along with strong physical symptoms. I feel a split when I'm around people - I'm "normal" on the outside, but shaking and fearful on the inside. If I'm in the present moment, THAT feels false.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but any insight that anyone has would be welcomed. It's as if I don't know how to "be" anymore, and I'm isolating myself because of it.
PlutoISaplanet

Postby Sighclone » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Pluto -

If I'm in the present moment, THAT feels false.

If you are truly in the present moment, there is not any "room" for feelings of falseness. Now the ego might be real jealous, because it has very little use for the present moment. But psychological time, which is dwelling in the past and compulsive worrisome absorption with the unknown future, can become a major habit and drawback. Here is Eckhart on this subject, from PON, page 57:

If you dwell on (a mistake) mentally and self-criticism, remorse, or guilt come up then you are making the mistake into "me" and "mine": You make it a part of your sense of self, and it has become psychological time, which is always linked to a false sense of identity. Nonforgiveness necessarily implies a heavy burden of psychological time.

In several months of reading and posting, I've never heard anyone mention that being in the now felt false. Nor has it ever felt that way to me. It's gotta be your ego, which must have some little semi-conscious story like "Pluto, the person who is always nervous" as part of the script.

My guess is that when you feel "false" in the present moment, that you are hearing the ego scream at you with the loudest howling anger it can to "get out of there and back to me." It's going to send all kinds of terrific guilt and other phony junk at the real You. Ignore it all, revel in that natural comfort and wonder of now. Recognize that any impulse to leave the present moment is rooted in ego dominance and fear. The only false element of a "now experience" is any feeling which is not contentment and a sense of peace. And those feelings can be generated by the sneaky hookup of ego and painbody. Watch them, explore them and see them wither in the face of Presence.

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion