It's taken time...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
now-here

Re: It's taken time...

Post by now-here » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:37 pm

grant wrote:I notice you joined a while ago. Were you looking for something?
NO. I've just made recent discoveries regarding Tolle and a few other "non-teachers" that have not left me empty handed.

grant

Post by grant » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:52 pm

enlighten me.

now-here

Post by now-here » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:07 pm

...well, it's more fun to do it yourself. Besides, aren't "you" just meeting the recombination of meaningless molecules within the imagined "other". don't "you" know "me"....

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:12 am

Now-here,

Okay, let's accept your arguement that Tolle's message leads to a dangerous passivity and mind-numbing, harmful acceptance of bad things like facism and cancer. When I accept this momentarily, I immediately begin to rank in my head:

Is Tolle's teaching more dangerous to the average person than say:

-eating a horrible (North American) diet of sugar, salt, and animal fat that leaves one insensate, bloated, de-energized, mal-norished, passive, depressed, anxious, unable to focus on what the oppressors are doing, and unable to focus on learning?

-TV, video games, media; which at minimum are a waste of time and may be a dangerous hypnotic which allows the facist and materialist to transer their message directly into your passive brain, resulting in aquiesence to spending beyond one's means, looking to material objects to create happiness, as well as directly downloading whatever facist political agenda they may have like; invading a country, and needing more oil?

-drugs and pharma. Looking to medication/drugs to solve created/percieved quirks, "disorders" that may seem to result in "discomfort" and lack of performance in the domains of life. Selling the facist message that one must be happy at all times, or at least even-keeled and in a heightened state of performance/passivity.

-selling the notion that others are different and dangerous. Other races, cultures, body-shapes, accents, religions, ideologies, etc. are to be feared and in fact so dangerous that they may embody a spectrum from minor annoyance and discomfort to full-blown life theatening danger that you need a gun/army to protect against.

In summary, is Tolle more dangerous than the average bloated, pharmacutically lobotimized, media enhanced, fear-based cultural messages we are deluged with on a daily basis?

To me Tolle's teaching pales in harm by comparison. In fact, the effects of the teaching have been profound in my life. As I "accept" my interior life becomes more peaceful and more energized. My relationships become more congruent and harmonious. If anything I act more fluidly and LESS passively. "Be the peace" may be more vacuous, self-deluded rhetoric or it may be real and radiate from my core to the world around me (Note the latest neuroscience research that suggests that emotions can be transmitted and recieved much like a wi-fi network). Granted, teachings like Tolle's can be very seductive, creating a subtle field of superiority and ego enhancement that is difficult to shake.

On the other hand, you may be right....rant on. Just know that to me Tolle's message feels like fresh air and energizes rather than suppresses.

You still haven't answered the question, if Tolle is wrong, what is right? What action will you take to stop the facists?
Be present, be pleasant.

grant

Post by grant » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 pm

I have to disagree that Eckhart has "made things worse". As a student of spirituality for over 25 years I consider "his" teachings to be the most succint, direct, and honest. If you haven't acquired any of his audio programs I really recommend doing so. Practicing The Power Of Now for its brevity, Living A Life Of Inner Peace for its warmth and humour, and OF COURSE, The Power Of Now. I no longer see a man in my minds eye as he speaks, but a wise old cat. If a cat COULD talk with wisdom, he would sound like Eckhart!
How I wish that the Power Of Now was available 10 years ago when I was going through the painful loss of a "close" relationship. The joy of discovering for just HOW LONG I had been giving "my power" away to PEOPLE and circumstances....totally UNCONSCIOUS was I of this, and how deeply entrenched my views were. Not only feeling worthless because my girlfriend was leaving me, feeling doubly worthless that "my love" was not a sufficient elixir to heal the situation.......
For me, Eckhart has become a friend, teacher, a "signpost".

sound familiar!

where you at NOW

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:30 am

Now-Here,

I myself have reminded people that Mahatma Gandhi wrote a nice letter to Hitler asking him to quit. Obviously nothing came of that letter.

I am of the belief that one hammer cannot solve all problems. You need different tools for different problems.

The people who have very little ego or no ego (if that is possible) are the best fighters, lovers, sportsmen/women, and artists.

If you wish to fight what you see as fascism and what not, be prepared to empty yourself of all your positionality. Be prepared to divest yourself of all concern of saving yourself and the society that you perceive.

First kill yourself, your false sense of self, and the time may come when you are used in the right way.

No one asked you to go on a crusade on my behalf or that of others in this civilization. Since you are on this self righteous and self proclaimed mission, you are allowed to define what is right and wrong. FOR YOU. Not for the rest of us. Otherwise you are imposing YOUR FASCISM on us.

Thank you for retreating to the boonies where you came from. They need more of you around the streets of Bahgdad, West Bank, and Southern Afghanistan, I am told. The freaks from one side wish to mate with the freaks on the other side. Everyone's looking for UNION. Someone's doing it through LOVE, others are doing it through BOMBS.

---

Abraham Maslow speaks of a hierarchy of needs. I see a hierarchy of consciousness. There are levels of consciousness or development in human beings. Eckhart's message is not for conservatives or fundamentalists whose over active egos and radars are constantly on the lookout for the next war or battle. His message is for those who see the folly of their ways and see no benefit in acquiescing to political institutions veiled as religious ones.

I believe I can fight and do it without anger or fear. Anger only clouds judgment. This is the essence of martial arts. I personally have no problem with going after terrorists, people who will not negotiate with anyone and are a danger to everyone in this world. But I am also able to live with the paradox of being in peace while being able to fight. It is a sign of maturity and development in my book to be able to live with paradox.

Just because I admire Eckhart does not mean I have become a passive, lifeless person. Your interpretation of his teachings only reveals your inner state, agenda, and level of development.