Don't Take It All Too Seriously!

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
aquarius123esoteric

Don't Take It All Too Seriously!

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Please, let's not get too carried away with the seriousness of it all and let's have some fun, too.

But above all things, always check your email addresses very carefully!

An Alaskan couple decided to go to Florida to thaw out during a particularly icy winter. They planned to stay at the same hotel where they spent their honeymoon 20 years earlier. Because of hectic schedules, it was difficult to coordinate their travelling, so the husband left freezing Alaska and flew to Florida on Thursday; his wife planned to join him two days later.

The husband arrived and checked into the hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an email to his wife. However, he accidentally left out one letter in her email address, and without realising his error, he sent his email.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Houston, a widow had just returned home from her husband’s funeral. He had been a minister and was called home to his maker after a heart attack. The widow expected messages from relatives and friends, so she decided to check her emails. After reading the first one, she screamed and fainted. Her son rushed into the room and found his mother on the floor. Then he noticed the computer screen which read:

To: My Loving Wife
Subject : I’ve Arrived
Date: October 16, 2007
I know you’re surprised to hear from me. They have computers here now and you are allowed to send e-mails to your loved ones. I’ve just arrived and have been checked in. I’ve seen to it that everything has been prepared for your arrival. Looking forward to seeing you very soon, dear! Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was. Your ever loving husband.

P.S. It sure is hot down here!

With Love and Light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

Webwanderer

Re: Don't Take It All Too Seriously!

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:30 pm

That's a hoot :lol:

Remember, life is entirely too important to be taken seriously. :wink:

James

Post by James » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Agreed Aquarius,
Humorous story, it reminded me of that episode of "The Office" TV show; Michael the manager meant to send a hot photo to a friend, of his tropical vacation he secretly went on with his boss Jan. He hits the wrong button on his keyboard and the email with the photo goes to everyone in the company. Oops!

I had another joke up here earlier, but I changed my mind and removed it, I did not want to fan any flames (pun intended.)

Here is a clever one:

A mute person goes into a shop and wants to buy a toothbrush. By
imitating the action of brushing his teeth he successfully expresses
himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.

Next, a blind man comes into the shop who wants to buy a pair of
sunglasses; how does HE indicate what he wants?

He asks.

That illustrates how selective interpretations of the mind operate :)

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:38 pm

:D

Very good.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 am

Have you all met people who take the idea of being funny a bit too seriously?

You know, the type who go around with a fake smile pasted on their face, speaking with great enthusiasm but concealing great toxicity and shallowness.

Sorry, had to vent a bit!

:-)

---

Descartes shows up at a bar. Tells everyone loudly: "I think therefore I am". Bartender says "So where are you between two thoughts?" Descartes dissappears.

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Good point Innerhike
Humor can be used as a mask. I have found through a gradual awakening though that humor becomes more natural and can even be more profound, as it flows. After all isn't God the source of all real humor? God is the original joke writer. Some would say we are the butt of the cosmic joke, I'll leave that to someone else to explain.

I find it is good to keep a light hearted perspective on it all, "a merry heart doeth good, like a medicine" but I am aware of not seeking laughter and merriment to avoid myself or what's real at that moment. But if we find that we are too serious as you say, we probably are not all that awakened at that moment. Life has many states and stages, it is dynamic, some of it is funny, some of it is serious, but It's all good.

James
Last edited by James on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:32 pm

'God is the original joke writer.' How true! He is the original writer of everything - any inspiration, any ideas that come flowing through anyone, they always come from that Source. We are God experiencing Him/Herself in this earthly existence. After that serious bit, let's be mirthful again:

RESULTS
A Minister has just passed on, and is standing in line waiting to be judged and admitted to Heaven. While waiting he asks the man in front of him about himself. The man says: ‘I am a taxi driver from New York City’.
An Angel stands at the gate and calls out: ‘Next’. The taxi driver steps forward and the Angel hands him a golden staff and a cornucopia of fruits, cheeses, and wine, then lets him pass. Very pleased, the taxi driver is quite pleased and proceeds through the gates.
And the Angel shouts: ‘Next!’ The Minister proudly steps up to the gate, but the Angel hands him a wooden staff, some bread and some water. Very concerned, because he believes there’s got to be some mistake here, he turns to the Angel: ‘That guy is a taxi driver; he gets a golden staff and a cornucopia, when I, who spent most of this lifetime as a Minister gets nothing! How can that be?’
‘Ah!’ says the Angel, ‘up here we judge on results – all your people ever do during your sermons is sleep, but in his taxi, they pray!’

Goethe

www.raysofwisdom.com

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 pm

RESULTS
A Minister has just passed on...

That's funny Aquarius, thanks for sharing it, keep em coming.

James

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I used to think of comedy as a form of enlightenment, but look at all the well known comedians, that were self destructive.

(Oh I am being too serious again sorry, it won't happen again)

I like your lighthearted sense of humor though Aquarius, keep the jokes flowing. :D
Enjoy the rest of the day/night whatever it is where you are .
Peace
James
Last edited by James on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:13 pm

‘Humour is sometimes a mask, not a salvation.’ How right you are, James, especially considering the fate of those you described. I can’t say I have all that much time for stand-up comedians and comediennes; all too often – for my taste, I hasten to add – they aren’t at all funny! But on the whole, the self-destructive tendencies probably have their origin in the high emotional/spiritual sensitivity of souls, for example born when the Sun was in Pisces or if they are in some other way strongly under the influence of Neptune. And now it’s my turn for offering an apology now, but I view the whole of life through the eyes of an astrologer.

Sensitive souls may well wish to cover their great emotional pain with a mask of humour; it then becomes something they can hide behind. Anyone who has seen the opera ‘Pagliacco by Leoncavallo’ and listened to the heart-rending aria ‘Ridi pagliacco’ knows exactly what I mean.

Maybe the secret of George Burns’ and Bob Hope’s longevity was that their humour was on a different level, more robust somehow. Like you, neither of them did anything much for me. Best of all, I like Jewish humour; most of the time is poignant and sad, but somehow the Jewish people have kept their delightful sense of humour and maybe even developed it some more. I recently acquired ‘The Big Book of Jewish Humour’. Now, if scanning wasn’t such a tedious business – as I found out after having bought one – I would share more from that source with you. Sorry for rambling on!

THE BEGGARS
Two beggars are sitting on a pavement somewhere in Ireland. One is holding a large Cross and the other a large Star of David. Both have hats in front of them to collect contributions. The people walking by lift their noses at the man holding the Star of David, but they do drop money in the other one’s hat. Soon one hat is nearly full while the other one remains empty.
A priest watches the men and then approaches them. Turning to the one with the Star of David, he says: ‘Don’t you realise that this is a Christian country? You’ll never get any contributions here with a Star of David.’ The man holding it turns to his companion with the Cross and whispers: ‘Oy, Hymie, look who’s trying to teach us marketing!’

Goethe

www.raysofwisdom.com

James

Re: Don't Take It All Too Seriously!/one from Carlin

Post by James » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm

George Carlin has softened a bit with age I think, and can sometimes be profound. Here is a good one.
James

Living Backwards

By George Carlin

I want to live my next life backwards:

You start out dead and get that out of the way.

Then you wake up in a nursing home feeling better every day

Then you get kicked out for being too healthy.

Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension.

Then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day .

You work 40 years until you're too young to work.

You get ready for High School: drink alcohol, party, and you're
generally promiscuous.

Then you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, and you have
no responsibilities.

Then you become a baby, and then...

You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in spa-like
conditions -central heating, room service on tap, and
then...You finish off as an orgasm.
I rest my case.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Funny, James - I'm old enough to have heard that one before, but it loses nothing over the years.

Another old one -

An old man is sitting by a well at the entrance to a moderate mideastern city around 50 AD. A stranger approaches.

Stranger: What sort of people live here? I'm leaving the place I was raised in - the people were horrible, vicious, vindictive and very selfish.

Old Man: I'm afraid you will find the people here to be vicious and vindictive also - plus there are thieves.

Stranger: I thought as much - I'll not stay.

(He took some water and moved on. A second stranger approached.)

Second stranger: What sort of people live here? I've left the place where I was raised - the people were wonderful, caring and very generous.

Old Man: You will find the people here to be wonderful, caring, generous, clean and attractive.

Second stranger: Great! I think I will stay...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Andy
Isn't that the case, we get what we expect!

Enjoy the weekend
James

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:02 pm

'Isn't that the case, we get what we expect!' I see it more as a case of like attracts like.

We are magnetic beings who can only draw into their orbit that which we ourselves are, and the world around us is designed to act like a mirror that reflects back to us what we carry within. We all have everything within; nobody is all good or all bad, and everybody is a diverse mixture of all manner of things. Therefore, when there are people in our lives who consistently cause us problems of one kind or another which, no matter what we do, will not go away, it is worth our while to look inside and see whether there is something there that is in need of attention. At the same time be aware that it is a normal part of human behaviour to project our less desirable qualities onto those around us. Don’t worry about this because we all do it! But next time you find yourself in troublesome relationships and situations, don’t feel bad about them or yourself, instead get to work, though not on other people but on yourself.

If we want people’s behaviour towards us to change, we must start by sweeping in front of our own door. There is but one person in the whole wide world that can be changed by us and that is ourselves. If there are people whose mannerisms we do not like, our best and the only really sensible approach is to take a different approach to them. When we do, it frequently happens that they respond to the different vibrations we are giving out and somehow start to behave differently towards us. Why not try it for yourself? Given time, you will be able to watch how the miracle of growth that is taking place within you is affecting those around you and how they reflect your inner growth back to you.

With Love and Light,
Aquarius

Goethe

www.raysofwisdom.com

James

Post by James » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Just a little reminder to have a good belly laugh now and then :lol:

James