Coffee Drinking and Enlightenment (A Survey)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
James

Coffee Drinking and Enlightenment (A Survey)

Post by James » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:25 pm

This is kind of an informal survey, I thought it would be fun and informative. Similar to what Erict did with Age, the How Old Are You question. I am curious to know the coffee or caffeine consumption habits of others in this forum, as it relates to their spiritual practice or enlightenment. It could be coffee, tea, soft drinks or perhaps even chocolate, (which contains small amount of caffeine).

I read that about 90% of people in the United States consume caffeine in some form every day. I thought that was surprisingly high. But wondered what that percentage would be for people seeking or experiencing enlightenment. Is it less, more or about the same. Eckhart Tolle and Adyashanti both mention that they are coffee drinkers, I have never heard them say just how much though. I personally don't believe there is a correlation between coffee drinking and enlightenment but it does not seem to be a hindrance either, in moderation. Ultimately I think it depends on the person and how they are hard wired.

I'll go first, this is my experience:
Since I was about 20 I have been a health food nut. Like other health food nuts I was against drinking coffee. An occasional green tea seemed acceptable. I enjoyed dark chocolate now and then or ice tea in the summer. About 2-3 years ago I started drinking coffee to jump start my engine in the morning and be more productive, and I began to enjoy it. Occasionally I still question if I actually need it, especially if I get jittery. I have read the data on the health benefits of coffee/caffeine and the negatives if too much is taken. As a newbie coffee drinker I am learning to find that balance of listening to the body and what it needs and not overdoing it, to avoid the jitters.

Too much caffeine I find, over stimulates the mind and detracts from the experience of stillness and mental quietude. Being present while slowly drinking a hot cup of black coffee makes a difference, rather than multitasking. One or two cups (8 oz) of strong coffee in the morning, typically is my limit. (I should clarify, I am not referring to the large cups like they use at Starbucks, which are really double and triple servings.) But none in the afternoon, because it disrupts sleep. If I get drowsy in the afternoon I prefer to take a 20-30 minute nap. Scientific research is now learning the benefits of taking a nap every day in the afternoon, rather than drinking more caffeine. It works for me. The same research has also shown that meditation can achieve similar mind/body restorative benefits as a nap.

It would be good to hear from others on this, and what their personal experience has been.

Thanks
James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Webwanderer

Re: Coffee Drinking and Enlightenment (A Survey)

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:48 pm

I enjoy coffee, and have so for years. Like others I don't much care for the caffene jitters, so the amount I drink is somewhat self-limiting. However, since the jitters show up before my enjoyment of coffee is filled (I'm a lightweight when it comes to tollerence of jitters), I prefer to drink half-caff. That way I get to enjoy an extra cup if I so choose.

The same goes for wine. A little warm buzz is nice, but one or two glasses is my tollerance limit. I find that just a little wine can (but not necessarily) help in deepening my sense of presence, especially in social environments. It's really no problem in shifting back to clear presence these days in any environment, it feels more like home than the mental me. There are degrees of depth in presence-awareness that seem to improve with experience.

In either case, if enjoyed with moderation, I think there is little inhibiting effect on awakening.

That's my story... (or one of them) :)

James

Post by James » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks WW, glad you mentioned wine too, I like a glass or two in the evening,that amount does not affect clarity and is relaxing. :)

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 am

WW and James -

I enjoy coffee, have for 40 years. I buy green beans, roast and grind them at home and brew lattes with an old Briel Lido. Maybe the equivalent of 2 cups per day. I also drink one beer or one glass of wine once/twice per week. Eckhart mentioned on the last Oprah show that he drinks wine also. Maybe we should send him a bottle!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

sailing

Post by sailing » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:19 am

Hiya,

Yes I LOVE coffee. Strong, half caf, with French Vanilla Cream. First thing in the morning, 3 cups. How else can you start a day? I can't imagine going without. I switched to half caf because of the jitters. I don't get them anymore.

sailing
"We are sailing, stormy waters, to be near you, to be free."
Rod Stewart

no won

Post by no won » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:44 am

I get irregular heart beat when I drink coffee, one cup a day for 4/5 days seem to do it.

Denise

Post by Denise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Good morning and happy Sunday!

I love two cups of coffee every morning to help me wake up, every now and then I treat myself to a Latte. I have completely given up any kind of soda in the last year AND also kicked cigarettes. I'm also a Cabernet Sauvignon girl (well 46 YO child at heart) who enjoys a glass or two every other week or so in a social setting. I am new to this board and am really appreciating the wisdom, insight and advice of so many of you PON veterans.

Thanks!
Denise

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:01 am

I don't drink any coffee, tea, soda, etc. I usually just have water. I don't drink alcohol. Not interested. Coffee, etc makes me jittery and talk too much and have trouble sleeping. I think if I drank it I would soon be very, very addicted since I love the taste when heavily sugared. I can see myself drinking it throughout the day to extreme excess.

I avoid sugar for the most part for similar reasons--I just can't stop eating it usually if I start so easier just not to have it for the most part.

I eat mostly whole foods and strongly prefer organic when I can get it here.

I don't know if any of this has anything to do with consciousness, etc.

Slyder

Post by Slyder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Used to like coffee, but drank it to escape feeling discontent/bored/etc...
Not a problem anymore, but now my body has become coffee intolerant instead! stomach goes into spasm, so I guess no more coffee for me.

Tend to drink mostly water, and for a change will drink redbush (rooibos) tea, or peppermint tea.

James

Post by James » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I don't know if any of this has anything to do with consciousness, etc.
Thanks for sharing that lakeswimr, the fact that you are in tune with your body's needs has to do with consciousness awareness.

I think everyone's body is hard wired differently, I too prefer a whole foods diet, as much as possible, and only eat sugary foods on special occasions. Sugar I find gives a little blood sugar rush, but then in an hour or two the energy is flat again; it is that Glycemic index thing you hear a lot about these days.

Eckhart's partner Kim Eng is reportedly on a raw food diet. Last summer I attended a retreat with Adyashanti. A man from Chicago stood up in one of the Satsangs and started complaining about the vegetarian food at Mt. Madonna, and the fact that they only served desert one night after dinner. The man said in a heavy Chicago accent: "desert must be an illusion at Mt. Madonna", it was very funny, everyone was laughing. Adya replied that he prefers a big juicy steak over vegetarian, and that he eats for the desert part. He loves to hang out at coffee shops and eat cupcakes and his favorite italian tiramasu (which is a very rich and sweet desert, usually made of chocolate, whipped cream and cake soaked with brandy and coffee; too much for me).

We could conclude with a phrase Eckhart likes to use, that it may be relatively important what we eat or drink, depending on our bodies needs and tolerances, but it is not absolutely important.

James

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I saw a Mooji clip where he said that he eats junk food, that junk food will not keep you from awakening. It has more to be with one's body chemistry and needs. Pay attention, you will know when you are going astray of what is in balance.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 am

I've just started drinking coffee again (actually cappaccino ) thanks to my recent surgery. I also eat junk food and meat (I don't go overboard with it though) and neither seems to bother me or interfere with being present.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

marcelo

Post by marcelo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

I stopped drinking coffee due to a recent panic attack. I love coffee, but for me it overestimulates my mind.
Leave "me" out of that!

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 pm

hi
i love coffee and it's aromatic smell :D

happy2B

Post by happy2B » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:02 pm

Interesting topic... I am sensitive to caffeine but still need a little to jump start my day - half a cup in the morning, no sugar, just a little milk. Prior to meditation, I find it helpful to do yoga for a few minutes; then it's easier to sit. But coffee in the afternoons, never.

Thelma