Coffee Drinking and Enlightenment (A Survey)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
vortex

Re: Coffee Drinking and Enlightenment (A Survey)

Post by vortex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Good to know.....

Coffee, alcohol,cigarettes, drugs.... can put you in danger and can drag you out of any moment of stillness if you make abuses.
In small amounts and with situation under control they can give you an mental burst or an no mental. If it is possible avoid consumming it at all :P .
For example with drugs you can experience extra sensorial states, get some siddhi's.... or, if you are not in control during the "trance" certain
very bad things may happen. If you are very receptive, you will be like an sponge to all your experiences there. This mean no selection, no control, and as we all know in this experiences are not only bliss. We can see that in addicted people to drugs. They are experience some bliss there but they never realize they come back with allot of "ugliness" from there.
My opinion is "Stay away from this abuses!". The limit between control and no control is very small. Only some people can be in control, but I don't want to comment this...

meaname

Post by meaname » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Emptiness is the ground all words rise from...
Last edited by meaname on Tue May 20, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:23 am

I don't drink coffee. But one of my reasons for not drinking it was an egoic sense of superiority over others. Even now, I sill don't drink it, but as you might not be surprised to learn, the sense of superiority is starting to unravel and evaporate.
Who am I?

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:49 am

I just cut back drastically on coffee (small cup in the morning, down from 4 cups a day) and went to a very healthy diet. Feel like a different person and more present. It takes energy to be present and aware, it seems. Coffee and a bad diet seem to erode this energy for me, while less caffiene and healthy diet help my focus.
Be present, be pleasant.

entelechy

Post by entelechy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Yes I used to drink coffee, but never really got into it. I have drank it in the past on rare occassions, and when I did it's always mixed with something else anyway, like chocolate or milk or cream. In the past, I would order Frapuccinos or mocha drink, but nowadays I don't do that anymore.

When I was in my teens, I was addicted to Coca-cola and it was the only liquid I drank. I couldn't bear the taste of water at all - I literally puked it out. (Yeah, THAT bad!). I also used to smoke, and overeat.

I dont know how it happened but eventually I snapped out of the coca-cola habit and started drinking fruit juices and water. Thank God I made the transition.

My first experience with alcohol was when I drank 1.5 bottles of Budwieser beer (250 ml each) and then I ended up vomiting all over the bathroom. I was 19. I never touched beer since then. 5 years ago I tasted wines, and some cocktails. I have them whenever I go out to bars and clubs with friends. Thing is, I can't remember the last time I actually went out to bars and clubs! Hhhmm probably explains why some of my friends havent been in touch lately... :mrgreen:

Nowadays I take care of my body really well, so I only drink fresh organic fruit & vegetable juices (I have a juicer, I extract the juice myself and drink it), freshly made smoothies (I make 'em myself, from scratch), freshly made nut milks (almond milk is my fave), hearbal teas, and distilled water. No alcohol, no fizzy drinks, no coffee, no animal milks, no pasteurized and processed fruit juices, no drinks high in refined sugar.

I have lost 10 lbs within 5 weeks when I began this practice. I also noticed that my skin glowed, and didn't need as much moisturizing (I used to have extremely dry skin) and regained its youthful texture; My hyperhidrosis (extreme sweating of palms and feet) disappeared; My energy levels shot up and maintained its high level through out the day. and oh yeah... my waste elimination process improved SO much :lol:
Join me in my journey towards inner and outer success at http://www.thewayofmoney.com

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I have long suspected that caffeine is a severe imbalance in my life that has caused adrenal fatigue and anxiety. Also, I feel like I have become physically and phsychologically dependent on it.
When I do take it I try to rationalize it, one cup isn't so bad, but soon it just gets out of hand and I go back to square one. Also like the OP has noted, it really makes my mind and ego run crazy. Stuff I do becomes kind of strained or shallow. I can't really imagine that someone can feel present while on caffeine, but maybe other bodies just have different tolerant levels for it.

I don't want to make the drink into an enemy, and maybe other bodies react differently to it, but I really want to quit the habit of drinking daily and just make it a leisure thing every once in a while. Today is day 2.

far_eastofwest

Post by far_eastofwest » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 pm

I quite like a cuppa coffee, but do DeCaf mostly, tastes the same and no after effects (gives me a headache, feel lethargic after - guess meant to have another coffee then to counteract that).
My dad gave up drinking coffee years ago and he had a headache for a week in the process.
Friend of mine has given it up also, she did her own home investigation and found she yelled at the kids when she drank coffee during day, it took a bit for her to work out why she felt so irritable and snappy in the evenings and pin it down to the coffee.
She doesn't miss the coffee and the kids certainly don't miss getting yelled at..
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....

Amritam

Post by Amritam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 am

I can't consume caffeine in any form. No chocolate, no colas, no coffee. It is extremely stimulating to me. Same thing for my brother. I found myself to be calmer once I got off of it which took about a year. I was addicted to Pepsi. Loved that burn feeling going down! I've been off of it for about 18 years now.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 pm

With coffee I have to be carefull, it can make me grumpy.
I prefer it with honey/milk/whipped cream.
Of course, then it isnt really coffee any more, but a liquid mocha pie.
Stopped with enlightenment, that gave me headaches.
---ooOoo---

Amritam

Post by Amritam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Stopped with enlightenment, that gave me headaches.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

qtip

Post by qtip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Just stopped drinking coffee for the second time as it increases my anxiety and stress, can't catch sleep when drinking coffee after like dinner or so.
I like it though.

ZenDrumming

Post by ZenDrumming » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 am

I really enjoy coffee, but I have to limit my intake because it can mess with my stomach. Tea, on the other hand, I drink all the time. I find it incredibly centering and calming, and the caffeine can also be nice if that's what I'm going for. I was just thinking yesterday, I don't know what I'd do without tea and music.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 am

I don't know what I'd do without tea and music.
ZD - You would invent them.... :D

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Coffee is my spiritual practice.
Be present, be pleasant.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Darjeeling tea twice a day, coffee (half cup) once.

Sugar (tea) and cream (coffee) utterly essential.

Also advised: fresh bread with very potent brie to break one's fast.

Thank you.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...