Any enlightened punk rockers out there?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
renae

Any enlightened punk rockers out there?

Post by renae » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:08 am

Strange question, yeah? Well, punk has been a huge part of my life for over 15 years. Growing up in the East Bay, I was exposed to a lot of it.
Does anybody else listen to The Clash after reading a few chapters of The Power of Now? Or is it just me? Does this mean that I'm not fully conscious or fully processing what is going on?

I'm present when I listen to the music and I'm fully present when I read the books. I just wonder sometimes if negative music is hindering my path to spiritual oneness.

Any thoughts?

Saints_and_Scholars

Re: Any enlightened punk rockers out there?

Post by Saints_and_Scholars » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Renae, you have raised a interesting question, one I have recently been thinking about myself. I'm not exactly a punk, but I listen to quite a bit of old school hardcore, which was derived from punk. I have noticed that the music I listen to has a profound effect on my mental/emotional state, and often a negative one. Since I started reading ANE, it has become increasingly difficult to listen to some of the music I normally would. When I pop in my favorite cd, and the double bass and screaming starts, I can immediately feel my energy drop. Just like you, I have grown up with a music genre, and am unwilling to let it go. I haven't found a solution yet, but I look at it as good practice in maintaining a positive mental state, even when my surroundings are not conducive to one. haha I know I didn't answer any of your questions, but I hope my input helps.
I won't close my eyes, til' I understand or go blind

Ives

Post by Ives » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:51 pm

I find the Ramones simply celestial.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 pm

We are where we are. There is no dishonor in where we are. What is important is to "be" there completely, with our entire Presence. The appeal of certain music or other forms of art will probably change anyway as we age - the pace is irrelevant. Respect what is really happening to you, however and act accordingly. Eckhart said that there is no way he would have been ready to become enlightened at age 25 - he was way to egoic. (Oprah webinar - week 4.) In his case it was academic pursuits. But anyone can be in the moment.

Denial is opposition to what is. It is a mental, egoic event. Surrender is being Present. Loud music triggers low-frequency energies which are more associated with body than spirit. But if that is what floats your boat, own it, and be there. However...for me, punk rock is kind of the opposite of Stillness. :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 pm

I grew up listening to the Clash, Talking Heads, and Elvis Costello some of my favorites in my teens and 20's. And I actually still like them, although I mostly prefer silence and soft music like meditative flute music, bells and the inspired vocals of Kirtana. Once in a while I will listen to the Clash- London Calling recording on my ipod. It is a nice contrast to silence. I still think it is one of the best rock and roll albums of all time. The Clash's leader Joe Strummer was multi talented, and could play any genre of music, and was very progressive in thinking. I still think Talking Heads -Once in a Lifetime is a beautiful and profound song. I am sorry I don't enjoy the real raw, screaming forms of punk, I never did. Too much anger coming through. I don't like most Rap or Hip Hop for that reason also, although there are a few exceptions like some of the Black Eyed Peas stuff, a few of their songs have inspiring messages of unity and love in them, and a positive vibration. Sometimes after a good meditation I enjoy putting music like the B-52's on, it makes you want to dance. They are silly, and don't take themselves too seriously, and that joy is reflected in their music. I also find inspiration in the music of U-2 (especially The Joshua Tree album), Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkle, Jazz and Classical.

So in my opinion it is not the form of music that matters but the consciousness that produced it, what state you are in while listening and what state of consciousness you are in after you listen to it. If you enjoy listening to it and it adds value to your life that is all that matters. If you find it makes you moody, less conscious, edgy or rebellious, then perhaps you need to reconsider your motives. Does that make sense? I worked with a spiritual teacher in the mid 90's that played drums in a rock band, (he was a student of Christian Mystic Joel Goldsmith's). It never stopped him from being in conscious presence, he was and still is a very gentle soul; and his spiritual practice has grown over the years since then. What it means to be spiritual or awake is often another layer of concepts to contend with.

There is no place you can go where God is not

James
Last edited by James on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

casandhra

Post by casandhra » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:34 pm

renae wrote:Strange question, yeah? Well, punk has been a huge part of my life for over 15 years. Growing up in the East Bay, I was exposed to a lot of it.
Does anybody else listen to The Clash after reading a few chapters of The Power of Now? Or is it just me? Does this mean that I'm not fully conscious or fully processing what is going on?

I'm present when I listen to the music and I'm fully present when I read the books. I just wonder sometimes if negative music is hindering my path to spiritual oneness.

Any thoughts?
Excellent question, renae. I listen to current alternative music, and older music like The Cure, Talking Heads, The Smiths, along with classical and electronic, etc. The purpose of being in the now is being beyond the mind's judgment of good vs bad or beyond all duality and therefore being the presence (Stillness) regardless of activity. You may be in the middle of a concert in Wembley Stadium or the sacred space of Arunachala in India and neither may impair nor improve this Perfect Stillness. Being fully present, this Stillness is (here now) irrespective of whatever you do.

James

Post by James » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 am

Lyrics from Moby, makes me think of the Ego's version of life, "all structures are unstable". Also some inspiring words from Talking Heads (below). Neither of these qualify as Punk, although their music was influenced by it. Just goes to show you can find inspiration anywhere.
James

MOBY-EXTREME WAYS

Extreme ways are back again
Extreme places I didnt know
I broke everything new again
Everything that Id owned
I threw it out the windows, came along
Extreme ways I know move apart
The colors of my sea
Perfect color me

Extreme ways that that help me
Help me out at night
Extreme places I had gone
But never seen any light
Dirty basements, dirty noise
Dirty places coming through
Extreme worlds alone
Did you ever like it planned

I would stand in line for this
Theres always room in life for this

Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, it fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Like it always does, always does

Extreme songs that told me
They helped me down every night
I didnt have much to say
I didnt get above the light
I closed my eyes and closed myself
And closed my world and never opened
Up to anything
That could get me along

I had to close down everything
I had to close down my mind
Too many things to cover me
Too much can make me blind
Ive seen so much in so many places
So many heartaches, so many faces
So many dirty things
You couldnt believe

I would stand in line for this
Its always good in life for this

Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Like it always does, always does

A little poetry from a Talking Heads tune

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE
Home is where i want to be
Pick me up and turn me round
I feel numb - burn with a weak heart
(so i) guess i must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground
Head in the sky
It's ok i know nothing's wrong . . nothing

Hi yo i got plenty of time
Hi yo you got light in your eyes
And you're standing here beside me
I love the passing of time
Never for money
Always for love
Cover up + say goodnight . . . say goodnight

Home - is where i want to be
But i guess i'm already there
I come home - -she lifted up her wings
Guess that this must be the place
I can't tell one from another
Did i find you, or you find me?
There was a time before we were born
If someone asks, this where i'll be . . . where i'll be

Hi yo we drift in and out
Hi yo sing into my mouth
Out of all tose kinds of people
You got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two
And you love me till my heart stops
Love me till i'm dead
Eyes that light up, eyes look through you
Cover up the blank spots
Hit me on the head ah ooh
Last edited by James on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 am

London Calling still transports me to another place--let's call it youth and energy...listen to it once or twice a year as a sacred ritual.
Be present, be pleasant.