I wish I could click better with spirtitual types...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Narz

I wish I could click better with spirtitual types...

Post by Narz » Sat May 17, 2008 9:39 am

...but for some reason I find 95+% of spiritual types quite dull. Hearing them talk about full moons and Eastern religions and healing their chakras ad infinum. It's like "spirituality" has become a way to avoid being fully alive, passionate and connected with the tangible world. Another layer of superstition and abstraction.

When I move back to the NY area (3 weeks I'm heading back) I think I'll look for (computer) programmer meetups as opposed to spiritual get-togethers. I have a computer game I've already created that I'm passionate about but I don't have the connections to bring it into reality.

It's kind of sad because I do feel many spiritual types have their hearts in the right places. They just get caught up and forget why they got into it in the first place (so they could heal & then move on & live). :(

I miss my girlfriend. She went back East (from Cali to New Jersey) a few weeks before me. No affection, no sex, she even took the cats (and for that I'm very grateful to her, but it's lonesome without them). It's strange being alone again. I'm going to try to keep busy, head down with my mentally ill friend to the "Wellness Center" in town for a peaceful retreat where I can be with others and read and watch movies. Maybe I'll get into Social Work when I go back East.

Thanks for listening. I don't mean any personal offense.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: I wish I could click better with spirtitual types...

Post by erict » Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 am

It's obviously a big part of your identity, this perception you have of yourself as so very different from the spiritual crowd. You don't really want to get along with them, because then you wouldn't be able to feel so unique and superior to them.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Jonatan

Post by Jonatan » Sat May 17, 2008 2:21 pm

I like to make a distinction between being spiritual and seeking truth. I find that a lot of spiritual people simply are enjoying being spiritual including whatever stories that entails, and aren't too interested in the direct experience of life. Which is totally fine, and in the end it doesn't matter since we're being lived by the same light, but if we're going to play with words, we might as well make that distinction :)

James

Post by James » Sat May 17, 2008 2:24 pm

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
On the other hand:
2 Corinthians 3:6
not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
The letter is trying to communicate truth to others. It is difficult to do, words only have value as pointers to the experience. That's why when I am with friends and family I rarely discuss anything spiritual, It is usually better to keep it secret, silent sacred. It keeps its vitality that way, and does not go to the head or stimulate the mind. I prefer to live an outwardly appearing normal life, normal conversation, normal activities. I love being with people that I can be myself around, tell funny stories, and be silly. Living the truth is an inwardly joyous experience. I also like to connect with everyone through the sense of presence rather than talk (it is easier to do with some than others). Although friends and family sometimes don't understand why someone would enjoy quiet and solitude; but that is OK, no need to explain it.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Craig

Post by Craig » Sat May 17, 2008 5:08 pm

You know Narz, if you really not into most of the stuff associated with "spiritual people", that's fine. Figure out what works for you in spirituality and go from there. I'm not into a lot of the esoteric Eastern traditions; I don't do yoga, I can't really tell you anything about chakras, don't ask me about Taoist practices because I really don't know (save that, originally, Taoism was just another name for whatever really is out there). But it's not like there's some sort of moral obligation that you need to like all sorts of spiritual types of people. Do your own thing.

Eric is right though- whether you realize it or not, your feeling of "difference" from other people is a way of the ego propping itself up as being special and unique. In fact, any time you feel "different" or "unique", the odd's are it's the ego speaking, and it's probably telling you that you're better in some way than other people. One of the subtlest, and perhaps most hazardous, of the egoic traps is that the path we're on is quite direct towards the truth. And it's very easy to look at others, Christians, or those into chakras, yoga and things and to think "What are you doing? You're not going the right way. And if you could only see it, then you could escape from all of those spiritual distractions that are holding you back." I know that I've felt this way before. But guess what? It's just the ego again. And it's the ego saying "Because I am aware of a more direct path to the truth, I'm better than all of you who do not".
Who am I?

Narz

Post by Narz » Sun May 18, 2008 12:12 am

erict wrote:It's obviously a big part of your identity, this perception you have of yourself as so very different from the spiritual crowd. You don't really want to get along with them, because then you wouldn't be able to feel so unique and superior to them.
Thanks for your helpful advice Erict! Very useful!

Who do you like to feel superior to?

Seriously guys, I'm looking for ways to connect, not defensiveness here. I never said their was anything wrong with yoga or chakras. I think yoga is great.

Narz

Post by Narz » Sun May 18, 2008 12:14 am

And it's the ego saying "Because I am aware of a more direct path to the truth, I'm better than all of you who do not".
If I was aware of a better path I wouldn't be here, I'd be on it. The fact that I'm here in spite of my feeling of disconnect shows I'm on the path rather than wanting to feel smug or superior.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 18, 2008 6:26 am

Narz wrote:If I was aware of a better path I wouldn't be here, I'd be on it. The fact that I'm here in spite of my feeling of disconnect shows I'm on the path rather than wanting to feel smug or superior.
If I was aware of a better path I wouldn't be here either. I suspect it's that way for quite a few of our members. That is after all the basis for an honest search - follow where ever the truth may lead.

So you see, you do indeed have a connection.

As for the New-Agers in your local environment, they seek the truth in their own way. They are just likely to be on a little side path that appears to show some promiss of enlightenment. Your best opportunity to help is to gain greater clarity within you own awareness, and live from that perspective. Your clear presence alone will be of more help than most anything you might say.

Be patient, who can say what wonderous adventures are headed our way. In the times when there seems to be a pause in the more engaging aspects of life, that space offers us an opportunity to act upon the pointers that help bring clarity to this moment. Make good use of the time you have.

Craig

Post by Craig » Sun May 18, 2008 7:28 am

Narz wrote:
And it's the ego saying "Because I am aware of a more direct path to the truth, I'm better than all of you who do not".
If I was aware of a better path I wouldn't be here, I'd be on it. The fact that I'm here in spite of my feeling of disconnect shows I'm on the path rather than wanting to feel smug or superior.
Just so long as you're really clear/aware about what you're actually feeling. I know in my case it has manifested, at times, as a sense of being "better than others", and it happens to other people too. The worst thing of all is to not even realize when you feel that you're better than others. So be aware.
Who am I?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun May 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Here's the math on "better than others" or "holier than thou:"

1) There is some charm or interest you have in Tolle, and it continues.

2) There exists ego-unconsciousness and something else called 'enlightenment.'

3) Some others do not care about Tolle/enlightenment.

4) Therefore you are more advanced than they are, and superior; and Eckhart was more advanced than Oprah on day one of the webcasts, and may still be today.

5) If you believe #4, then you are subject to the ego's need for capturing the "Mt. Everest of accomplishments", or enlightenment.

6) So long as you hold on to #4, you will not become enlightened.

In my humble opinion...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Sun May 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Have you tried them all? :D

Nisargadatta Maharaj said that one should get another guru if suffering continues after few days/years. If there is no progress, try another one :)
Last edited by D'ray on Mon May 19, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon May 19, 2008 7:45 am

I totally agree - try another path!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Narz

Post by Narz » Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 am

Sighclone wrote:I totally agree - try another path!

Andy
Any recommendations given my personality type? :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu May 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Narz -

Byron Katie is pretty grounded. For her, God is Reality. Her seminal work is called "Loving What Is", involves an incisive self-examination technique called simply "the work." Her website is thework.com. But I don't know your personality-type that well, nor all the various techniques that well, either. However, experiment and please let us know.

Namaste, Andy

Narz

Post by Narz » Sun May 25, 2008 7:45 am

Sighclone wrote:Narz -

Byron Katie is pretty grounded. For her, God is Reality. Her seminal work is called "Loving What Is", involves an incisive self-examination technique called simply "the work." Her website is thework.com. But I don't know your personality-type that well, nor all the various techniques that well, either. However, experiment and please let us know.

Namaste, Andy
I saw her speak in Monterey. She's ok but not really my cup of tea. Her "questions" technique could be useful though, I tend to ask myself those questions (1. Is this belief true? 2. Can I be certain it's true?, etc.) unconsciously and I think it's to my benefit.