Procrastination

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
saad

Procrastination

Post by saad » Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am

Hello, I'm new here :)

I'm 18 at the moment and I am currently studying for exams. I have started to become very familiar with a quiet mind, it seems that I can keep quiet in my mind and I am starting to accept most things.

However, my biggest obstacle is procrastination, Eckhart doesn't seem to touch in why people procrastinate over certain things, I guess its related to something else.

I've been told to study quite alot and something in me says that I need to study alot, the thing is I really want to want to study but I can't everytime I get down to work I start having thoughts going through my head, also, how can one be silent when it comes to studying, surely you have to have a voice in your head, like when you're reading something, you need that voice don't you?

Procrastination is really affecting my work, I got bad grades last year because of it, I write poetry and film scripts, everytime I get a good idea and want to write it down, I don't ever seem to! Its like I am afraid, yes, there is a fear of working or doing some kind of work, I just can't seem to know what this procrastination is all about, I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you,
Saad :)

Narayan

Re: Procrastination

Post by Narayan » Tue May 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Try to answer the question "Why do I really procrastinate?"
On the deeper level (i.e. not because I don't feel like it), what happens when you do it, want do you gain by procrastination or what do you avoid?
By understanding this, finding the real reasons behind it and bringing awareness into it, you can open the door to change it.

Procrastination seems to be an action that is saying "I'm not quite ready for that. I nee dto do something else before I can do this." Or it may also be, that what you procrastinate is something not aligned with what you really want in the end. Or, and that is almost funny and happens to me sometimes, it is so important to me, that I have a tendency to not starting it, because I want it to be "perfect" and I know that it has a huge meaning for me (Do I do it right? What happens after I did this?). But that is the question only you can answer.

Eckhart has also the way of bringing the yes into it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8kA4eu_r88 and http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bg9lY7_hCGA is the example with unhappiness. Maybe this is another try, to say fully yes, ok I procrastinate. I allow it fully and then see what happens (a change by allowing and not resisting, the deep realization, that I don't really need and want procrastination) and then go on from there.
"Be the change you want to see in this world." - Gandhi | current site: Personal Development that Transforms

saad

Post by saad » Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice,
I tried doing it today but I just wallowed in a slight misery. Though I can revise a bit now, its like I am irratated still but I can revise, its just that I see the irratation now. Is that good. When I am trying to become aware of the pain, I feel like the space but in someway I feel like I am still irratated.

I guess its a step forward...

lucidcruiser

Post by lucidcruiser » Tue May 27, 2008 9:37 pm

I am also affected by my own procrastination greatly. I can't quite seem to figure out why I always do it. Does any of the below sound familiar to you:

It has something to do with whether the task is something I HAVE to do (school, work, bills) or something that I CHOOSE to do. Because if it's something that I have to do, taking the first step to getting it done is the hardest, because that feels like walking into a prison room and shutting the door behind myself. And every time my mind slips off track or I get distracted I have to retake that first step, and it causes a huge restless, frustrated feeling, where I just want to run away from it and lay peacefully in the grass somewhere instead. The grass is total freedom and the work is total imprisonment (feeling).

Somehow, amidst all this, some kind of anxious psychological bond is created, where anxiety is felt as soon as I even think about the task that I have to do at hand, even if it's simple like paying a bill or doing laundry. I can see several half-done things around me as I write this that I should have completed long ago, and probably would take me an hour to complete ALL of them, yet I know that they will remain for a while. I can find clever ways to "out of sight, out of mind" them, but as far as approaching them goes, I feel magnetically opposed.

What is this resistance, or irritation as Saad called it? Even in the middle of a nicely present mind set, a sight or thought of something that I know I'm procrastinating will send a dagger of this resistance through me. I am consciously aware of how my emotions are responding, it's like I can hold the whole situation in my hand, but can't seem to uproot where it's coming from.

I guess this wasn't really an answer to your question, I'm just hopping on the train and throwing in my own $0.02USD :lol: We will figure this out.

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue May 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi saad - Welcome to the forum. We've had a few discussions on this topic. It's always good to do a search for your keyword(s), and resurrect a topic that already exists, it's perfectly timeless! :)

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ion#p12827

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ion#p24949

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ion#p24115
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

saad

Post by saad » Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks alot!

The first thread really helped, I'm starting to get it a bit more, thanks :)

Lucidcruiser I know what you mean, procrastination is related to the idea of thinking in the future and is also mixed up with the idea of planning. I think that alot of the time our planning ahead or looking at a task in the future is just compeletly ego, problem is we see that planning as neccessarry when really most of the time that looking at a task ahead isn't really needed. Of course we need to plan but I beleive that real planning occurs quietly and quite unoticed.

Its our minds trying to recreate the image of what it will be like doing the task but of course when we get there it never is like that, it is simply the mind saying that it will be bad and the mind seeing it as bad.

thats my take I not it, I hope that helps. Check out those threads.

I shall remember to a do a search next time, thanks Heidi!

minaret

Post by minaret » Wed May 28, 2008 10:41 am

Very interesting posts, something everyone comes up against to a greater or lesser degree in their life.

Here is a treat : :wink:

Ask yourself the following questions: (probably best to write it all down:)

What would happen if I did it? (Whatever it is you're procrastinating over).
What wouldn't happen if I did it?

What would happen if I didn't do it.
What wouldn't happen if I didn't do it.

Let us know how you got on
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free". Kazantzakis

Narayan

Post by Narayan » Wed May 28, 2008 1:27 pm

There is another more practical approach I like to add: It is about short term and long term consequences and it also touches self-discipline:

If you don't have the long-term perspective of your doing (meaning knowing the value of a goal or a vision for your outer purpose), there can be the tendency to go for short-term satisfaction of the ego. If you then go for the short-term pleasure, you also procrastinate the right actions to take for your real purpose.
It is the same resistance as mentioned above: "I'm not ready yet, or I have time yet. It's not that urgent yet." It's the reactive, not the pro-active which comes by saying "Yes" to life.
"Be the change you want to see in this world." - Gandhi | current site: Personal Development that Transforms

weichen

Post by weichen » Thu May 29, 2008 4:23 am

I have close friends who are the opposite of 'procreastination'. In the past, I would consider them too reckless, they do not obey traffic lights when they walk, they do not stop fully on stop signs when they drive, they got into big messes because of lack of planing.

However
1. they don't procrastinate!!! They take immediate action on important projects.
2. their daily schedule is fully packed
3. They are fearless (and shameless) :lol: They seek personal richness and power. They can scream at other people for small matters. In the past, I would not consider them 'enlightened'. But I am not so sure anymore. I now think they are the enlightened 'bad' guys.

Narayan

Post by Narayan » Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 pm

... or the ones with the biggest ego ;)

I have "friends" like this. It is obviousely, that most of the time they're actions are focused on strengthening theirselfes only and unfortunately, often on the costs of others.

Of course, it is also possible to show courage or as you said it, just have dissolved the limits that were holding you back and therefore the doing flows intuitively and spontaneous.

Sw Anand Devagni.

Post by Sw Anand Devagni. » Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Firstly, Saad, I should like to thank you for exposing your vulnerability like this and being so open. It's very nice.

My suggestion is that procrastination (and I haven't read other people's posts, so I may be repeating what they've said), is probably a sign of resistance. I would recommend Genpo Roshi's Big Mind Process - www.bigmind.org and www.zen-eye.org - and purchase a DVD called 'Big Mind / Big Heart Revealed' from www.bigmind.org.

Following this, or before, since you can do it straight away, I suggest you do something called the 3-2-1 process. I would recommend you take the voice of resistance and write about it - what is it like? Use 3rd person terms. So 'My resistance to working really gets me down because it...and it... It causes me trouble because...'

Then have a dialogue with it. Write down a conversation with it. Take as long as you like and this should be done straight after the paragraph where you just wrote about it in 3rd person terms.

Then become the resistance. Write from its perspective (so use 'I' language. 'I am now the voice of resistance and this is what is coming up'.)

This can be quite revealing. You should follow these three steps in sequence and all in one sitting for it to work.

Hope these two recommendations help - it is, in my opinion, a great privilege to do Big Mind and I would sincerely recommend it and the 3-2-1 process is also very simple and very revealing and you can do it any time! I would suggest writing it down first, and then when you are familiar with it (you can do it using your parents, your partner, your pets - anything or anyone that annoys you or makes you emotionally disturbed in one way or another - it could be very positive - maybe you really fancy somebody and you want to get clarity on why you do).

Anyway, hope this is all of help.

Bye for now,

Dan.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi Dan...sorry there was a hiccup in the technology of the forum. Kind and helpful comments here - thanks. Where did you run across the 3-2-1 process? It's intriguing - sounds a bit like Byron Katie...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Sw Anand Devagni.

Post by Sw Anand Devagni. » Thu May 29, 2008 5:40 pm

The whole thing falls under the framework of Integral Studies, developed by Ken Wilber, which focuses on integrating all strands of human knowledge. Key works by him include A Theory of Everything, which I highly recommend. I also suggest you visit the site http://www.integralnaked.org, which is a subscription site but the first month is free, and this week, as it happens, the featured dialogue is free.

One can purchase an Integral Life Practice kit over the internet, which I highly, highly recommend. This is because it covers the four 'bases' of Spirit (through Big Mind and a guide to meditation), body, the intellect, and what is called shadow, or repressed material that the self disowns. The 3-2-1 process I detail is in fact included as one of the DVDs, as is the Big Mind Process, which is really an unmissable experience.

If anyone requires any further information, I will be glad to offer it.

Love,
Dan x

saad

Post by saad » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:27 am

Hey I found a youtube video of Eckhart Tolle talking about that boredem that so often leads to procrastination

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xnnb0ORj5N8