What are your Pet Peeves / Pet Hates?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
entelechy

What are your Pet Peeves / Pet Hates?

Post by entelechy » Wed May 28, 2008 4:42 pm

(In case you haven't come across it before, a pet hate or a pet peeve is something that upsets you, irritates you or drive you crazy. It's usually something very trivial- e.g., when someone didn't replace the tissue paper in the bathroom; when someone swears a lot; the sound of noisy eating; frequent whining and complaining, etc.)

I just wanna share an observation I had about my "mini me" and how it reacted the other day to a well-meaning stranger.

You may find it funny, but my "pet peeve" is: I get 'upset' when someone gives me unsolicited advice :lol:

Maybe because I'd rather find out things on my own. Or maybe because I see myself as totally competent in solving my own problems. Also, I know how and when to ask for help. In fact I'm very comfortable asking for help when I need it, so I get upset when someone tries to "help" - but not knowing that actually: they arent helping.

Anyway, the other day I bought a healing crystal from this online shop. Prior to that I emailed the owner for some advice on which stone is best to aid me in my problem (I've never tried crystals before but I was intrigued), and, bless his little cotton socks - he emailed me a lovely reply, very heartfelt and genuine. I replied to him, expressing my gratitude and then, because I elaborated a lot more about my problem, he sent me two very long emails advicing me what to do or try or explore in my life, about how I should this or I should that...

At first, mini me reacted in the usual way. She got upset, and actually spent some time imagining how she would send a catty reply basically saying "thanks but no thanks. I already know the things you presumed I didn't know, I just wanted advice about what crystal to use". :twisted:

I know, I know. So catty ain't she? tut tut

I just let her vent and when she was finished, I realigned myself with Presence and I was fine.

So... what are your pet hate / pet peeves? Person with the quirkiest pet peeve wins a prize! :D

Ok that was a joke. But share them here anyway :P
Join me in my journey towards inner and outer success at http://www.thewayofmoney.com

Narayan

Re: What are your Pet Peeves / Pet Hates?

Post by Narayan » Wed May 28, 2008 5:19 pm

This is a "limbering up" thread :) Kinda like the half-time show in the superbowl :lol:

I have one... sometimes I am with different couples from my friends. And if there is room for it, very often they are starting the small ego-battles against each other. It goes something like this: "Paul, did you clean the dishes yet? You wanted to do it and it is already 6 pm!", "We do this later and by the way, it is not necessary right now, since we eat now again and I can do them both.", "No, I need this space now, you have to do it now, why don't you do your tasks in the house?" etc.

I really can't stay with it then. Usually I interfere and ... I want to help (!!) ;) ... try to make it consious to them (helping me, really).
It happens with my firends, with my parents and so on ...
"Be the change you want to see in this world." - Gandhi | current site: Personal Development that Transforms

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed May 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Mine can be broadly expressed as "ignorance closely coupled to arrogance." It has many forms and can still cause a quiver in my battered old pain-body.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

weichen

Post by weichen » Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 am

One of my Pet Peeves is when my wife drops thing on the floor (on purpose?) and say "honey, could you please pick that up for me?" with the sweetest voice. ......

Quite often, I am in the other room, and after I put down my work and come to her room, I usually find her browsing the net or watch TV, she could just pick it up herself! :lol:

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu May 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Litterers! :evil:

I think murder can be condoned in some cases, but littering, never! I don't think capital punishment should be used, however, when it comes to litterers, it might be in order!

A small peeve hardly worth mentioning is when my husband ignores the fact the the toothpaste cap is attached to the tube for his convenience, and still leaves it open. I rarely mention it, because it feels like a power play to me. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

entelechy

Post by entelechy » Fri May 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Narayan,

I can see what you mean about this. It seems to be very common among couples, though. I think for many people, it's difficult to sit amidst other people's problems as an observer without needing to "fix" anything, or do something about the problem.
Join me in my journey towards inner and outer success at http://www.thewayofmoney.com

entelechy

Post by entelechy » Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Sighclone wrote:Mine can be broadly expressed as "ignorance closely coupled to arrogance." It has many forms and can still cause a quiver in my battered old pain-body.
I think I know what you mean Andy, but can you give an example so that I know for sure we mean the same thing? Cheers!

entelechy

Post by entelechy » Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm

weichen wrote:Quite often, I am in the other room, and after I put down my work and come to her room, I usually find her browsing the net or watch TV, she could just pick it up herself! :lol:
:lol: THis made me laugh out loud... yeah you men just fall for women's charms all the time, and sometimes you guys dont even know it! :mrgreen:

entelechy

Post by entelechy » Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm

heidi wrote:Litterers! :evil:

I think murder can be condoned in some cases, but littering, never! I don't think capital punishment should be used, however, when it comes to litterers, it might be in order!
Hahaha..this reminds me of how I used to feel about smokers. I really really hated it when people smoke in an environment where they subject other people to their poisons! Thank God smoking was banned in public places here in UK! I think at one point I even said they smokers should be shot... :lol: (I was half-joking, of course)
heidi wrote:A small peeve hardly worth mentioning is when my husband ignores the fact the the toothpaste cap is attached to the tube for his convenience, and still leaves it open. I rarely mention it, because it feels like a power play to me. :)
That's interesting. Have you talked to him about it? I have a friend called whose husband has a habit of opening all cupboards whenever he's in the kitchen looking for something, and he leaves the kitchen without closing them! My friend has to close them all herself! I thought it was really hilarious, and my friend had come to accept it after years of trying to get him close the cupboards to no avail.
Now that you mention it, yeah it does seem a power play.... hhhmmmmm :roll:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri May 30, 2008 6:24 pm

entelechy -

I guess the most recent one is the thread here concerning Tony Parsons:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... f=8&t=4192

But in general it's people who speak from authority with arrogance and the words are all BS.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce