Popularity??? of Non-Duality

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

Popularity??? of Non-Duality

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 am

Responding to a topic introduced elsewhere ( http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 263#p29024 )

In the Manifested, dualistic world, knowledge is fine. All QM waveforms collapse into Newtonian reductionism for all practical purposes. You damn well better not try to walk right through the capitol building because you will bump your nose.

The Key Master suggests:
Eventually, a time may come where nothing else can be learned or achieved from conventional science. I think that time is still a ways away.
KM - That time will never happen. And science may morph into something the "enlightened" mind (part of the "egoless ego" as mentioned by Genpo Roshi???) can use to understand things we cannot even comprehend today. Such a progression would be consistent with the evolution of science and knowledge. But it won't happen before Thanksgiving, but then, there are black swans.

But it appears today that 'final truths' about all reality will not be found in maya, or in any form of thought and logic we can commonly achieve.

tkm - Yup the popularity numbers aren't there. Let's see - here is the common view of nondualism: 1) it's a religion 2) will it make me money? (The Secret will...) 3) what else is in it for me, 4) is it easy?

Those three questions are the one most people apply to "new" thinking. Of course, assertion # is wrong, but for the large numbers of densely unconscious folks it is right. #2 is an unknown #3 is an unknown, #4 the answer is no. Doesn't look good for the nondualists.

It is interesting to note that nondualism has appealed to basically two types: 1) spiritual or 'truth' seekers 2) those with some level of mental disorder. In fact, one of my favorite non-dualists, Loch Kelly,is a "nondual psychotherapist." Many of the members of this forum have spoken of mental conditions which have bee relieved by nd.

I hate to say it, but I think the seriously interested crowd is very small. Four months ago I was very hopeful. So I meditate, read and persist in staying present. Meanwhile most others pound away in ego-land.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

the key master

Re: Popularity??? of Non-Duality

Post by the key master » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Yup the popularity numbers aren't there. Let's see - here is the common view of nondualism: 1) it's a religion 2) will it make me money? (The Secret will...) 3) what else is in it for me, 4) is it easy?
Additionally, the nature of a nondualist is to not fault others for their beliefs. I abandoned Christianity right after my confirmation. I approached priests, scientists, pastors, and other religious doctrine looking for answers. I was searching for nondualistic teaching, but didn't know it yet. Then one day. 2-3 months ago I was flicking through the channels. A man with cancer, seemingly close to death,was discussing how happy he was that he found Eckhart Tolle. As it turned out, it was the last 5 minutes of an Oprah show, and THANK GOD I DECIDED TO WATCH. The unforceful spread of nondualism gives it more integrity than religion, but will it be too late.
It is interesting to note that nondualism has appealed to basically two types: 1) spiritual or 'truth' seekers 2) those with some level of mental disorder.

giving the ego of most humans even more reasons to stay away.
I hate to say it, but I think the seriously interested crowd is very small. Four months ago I was very hopeful. So I meditate, read and persist in staying present. Meanwhile most others pound away in ego-land.
One month ago I was hopeful, now I'm not sure if I even care.

jason