Catnapping!

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Nutkins2

Catnapping!

Post by Nutkins2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi there all,

I love to catnap whenever possible. But the thing is, i sometimes guilty, that i am lacking somewhere or using sleep to stave off boredom. My mind will tell me that there are other more important things to do and i compare myself to other women my age (41), who would be looking after their kids, or working at a career, or laughing and drinking coffee with friends, you get the general picture!!!!

Why should i feel guilty?! My life is exactly the way it should be and those things are nice but they don't fill egoic emptiness anyway.

Then i thought of a cat, who catnaps! all the time. Do they feel guilty? I don't think so. When my cat used to catnap the look of sheer bliss on his face was wonderful. I look to animals a lot for my guidance in spiritual things as Christ Himself said.

I'm not asking for reassurance, just maybe anyone who knows where i'm coming from and what they feel about using animals as guides.

Godbless
Nutkins2

Sighclone

Re: Catnapping!

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Eckhart said he lived with three Zen masters...all cats! Yes, animals are a valuable tool for reminding us of the simple forces and patterns in life. I do think there are limits to the teaching ability of animals. But most of your post was about the guilt. What would life be like if you had the opposite judgement about catnaps? That is, that catnaps are good for you personally.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:58 pm

I personally learn a tremendous amount from animals. I agree with Sighclone that this is probably limited, but I haven't found the limit. I am learning acceptance, patience, and joy from my dog.

My cat has found ways to ask for and get what it wants. He is not so great with acceptance, when he wants out he immediately wants back in and then out...I always joked that he should just stand in the doorway, half in, half out. This is what I do, however, so can animals reflect back to us the traits that we are blind to, maybe?

As far as napping, I think we should do what our body needs to do in order to rest and restore itself. I just came off several weeks of deep, daily naps. I guess I needed them to recover from my school year; it certainly was what my body wanted.

Byron Katie writes of simply knowing that she should not eat. She was not hungry and was full of energy. This lasted 27 days and then she simply knew it was time to start eating again.
Be present, be pleasant.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Yes Onceler :) One way to experience pure Presence and Source and Oneness is to look deeply (without thinking) into the eyes of any "creature" that doesn't know language (like a baby or a pet) :)
Peace

dutchred

Post by dutchred » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I don't know about you, Nutkins, but when I wake up from a catnap, my awareness of my inner body is often incredibly strong. It has been this way as long as I can remember--I just didn't know what the wild feeling of being full of champagne bubbles actually was until I read Tolle! If I play classical music while I nap, the effect takes an exponential leap. I think Eckhart said somewhere that when we sleep we re-connect with Source. Maybe that is why cats and dogs are so present--they sleep all the time!

dutchred
Yes, the umbrella was the real trouble. Behind Monet and Debussy the umbrella persisted, like a steady beat of a drum. "I suppose my umbrella will be all right," he was thinking....

Nutkins2

Re-connecting with the Source!

Post by Nutkins2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi ya all,

Maybe that's why i love sleeping! I want to be with God!!!

I read in Conversations with God that needing to sleep a lot is a sign of spiritual weakness or something similar to that!

Thanks for insights.
Godbless
Nutkins2

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 am

No, actually my dear, needing sleep is what all of us animals need. And, we are animals first and foremost. Our human world with its brain/ego craziness has made us think we are lesser, when we're not doing "enough", if we choose to rest. Resting is good. Silence is good. We can just be in our being and still get things done. Chop wood, carry water, and rest. Knowing how to rest is good. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:57 am

Well said, Heidi. I could not agree more. I believe as our awareness grows, we are able to question some of these beliefs;
I will be more spiritual on less sleep, I need to keep going and doing in order to be successful, etc.

I seem to have cycles where I need to just sleep and rest more, and then cycles where I go with less sleep. I always love to nap, though. I think it is really healthy for your body. My cousin has an ecumenical spiritual retreat center. She said that most of the people who come to do spiritual retreats for the weekend or longer are sleep deprived. She encourages them to be silent, disconnect from electronics and sleep.
Be present, be pleasant.

Nutkins2

Sleep deprived

Post by Nutkins2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 am

Hi,

I could never call myself that!!! I think the trick is to do what your body tells you and not listen to the mind!

Godbless
Nutkins2

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Look this short video. Maybe you can relate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIFXtSY ... re=related

And when hungry eat, when thristy drink and when tired sleep :D
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:55 pm

11. Awareness and Consciousness
Questioner: What do you do when asleep?
Maharaj: I am aware of being asleep.
Q: Is not sleep a state of unconsciousness?
M: Yes, I am aware of being unconscious.
Q: And when awake, or dreaming?
M: I am aware of being awake or dreaming.
Q: I do not catch you. What exactly do you mean? Let me make my terms clear: by being asleep I mean unconscious, by being awake I mean conscious, by dreaming I mean conscious of one’s mind, but not of the surroundings.
M: Well, it is about the same with me, Yet, there seems to be a difference. In each state you forget the other two, while to me, there is but one state of being, including and transcending the three mental states of waking, dreaming and sleeping.
Q: Do you see in the world a direction and a purpose?
M: The world is but a reflection of my imagination. Whatever I want to see, I can see. But why should I invent patterns of creation, evolution and destruction? I do not need them and have no desire to lock up the world in a mental picture.
:)
Peace

James

Post by James » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:56 pm

There is a recent book, called: Take A Nap Change Your Life. Written by a university sleep researcher. http://www.saramednick.com/. She addresses the health benefits of napping, and talks about societal/cultural guilt regarding naps; napping is often frowned upon by many, seen as unproductive, yet nappers actually can be more productive. Also research is showing that meditation has many of the same benefits as napping. Brief meditations can be restorative and ward off drowsiness.

It is possible to oversleep as an escape from painful emotions or thoughts, but only you would know if that is what is occurring. When you awaken, do you start to dread your current situation, or do you feel refreshed and content? Listen to your body, but listen from a state of Presence. Presence is all wisdom.

There is a story about an enlightened master. Someone asks him: "what great feats can you perform? can you walk on water?"

He replies: "When I am hungry, I eat. When I am tired I sleep."

In other words he does not "take thought" for his life. Life is living through him.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Confusion is of the mind only. The body and nature have no confusion – they do what they do with absolute certainty according to the perfection of The Great Design. In Oneness and with that purpose there is no confusion.
Humans were like that once. Then the first word sound was uttered. It was meaningful only to the speaker. The speaker taught others to accept words as having meaning and to apply them as labels to objects and even the self.
Eventually – with enough words – the pure experience of "being" changed. The experience of a rock became the wordthought “rock” - separate - and the natural sense of Oneness with nature – of Pure Being - was diminished. Being became a mind construct – a set of imposed thoughts – labels – “knowledge” - to describe ourselves and the world around us. That's where the confusion started – by applying external meaning and conformity to what was once a natural, slightly varied experience.
In an attempt to return to the natural sense of peace and certainty the mind adapts by creating the Ego - and another unnatural layer of confusion – and conflict. And still there is no peaceful certainty.
So we “meditate” to again experience what we were and naturally are - beyond Ego and wordthoughts - in an occasional Surrender to silent, thoughtless experience - to pure natural Presence - to the perfection of Now - The Real.
Peace

dutchred

Post by dutchred » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 am

Hermit, thank you for that post. It helps me think more clearly about my dog, who is present, relentlessly present, yet confused. He appears to suffer more than a wild animal, and perhaps this is why:
In an attempt to return to the natural sense of peace and certainty the mind adapts by creating the Ego - and another unnatural layer of confusion – and conflict.
Henk the dog is pre-language, for the most part, yet experiences a world of duality. He is trying to manufacture an ego to restore his sense of peace, because his humans have modeled that behavior. Henk the dog not only wants to eat what his humans eat, he wants to have egos like them, too. And to the degree he has succeeded in manufacturing an ego, he suffers. This makes sense to me.

But ultimately, words and wordthoughts have no more power to divide up Oneness than anything else. Oneness is. Words just have a tendency to reinforce an already established sense of duality in the people who use them. I am not convinced that words created the sense of duality--I wonder if maybe the sense of duality came first, like in Henk, and the words came as part of the ego-development--in hopes of restoring peace. People often do get a temporary sense of peace after expressing themselves, and feeling heard.

Babies appear to suffer before they are able to talk--is it possible that the desire to express, to ease their suffering is what motivates them to learn to talk?

My sense--perhaps it is a romantic notion--is that words that spring from the mouths of inspired poets are not flawed pointers. They are flames rising up from the hearts of enlightened souls. Words like this are natural; they are nature itself. Listen to the birds, the voice of the wind, the rustle of leaves. These sounds are pure, expressive, natural beauty--like the words of a true poet.

dutchred

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for your perspective DutchRed :)
Don't get me wrong - I don't reject language (obviously) :wink: - or thinking - or dualism - or Ego - they are a part of the Great Design called the Human Experience and can be usefull - with perspective.
I was just observing that sometimes we get "stuck" in the thinking mind of wordthoughts - which appears to be an externally influenced (imposed) "state" - and confusion and suffering seem to come about because of a feeling of "disconnect" between what we have been influenced to think and the truth that we instinctively "know".
In that sense I don't see this as possible absent language (as in infants and dogs) - but what do I know of that?
Peace