A Guard Dog

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dubhasa

A Guard Dog

Post by dubhasa » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:07 pm

I am ferocious guard dog. Since I came into this world, I have only one job; to protect my owner and property. I am very well trained to do the job. I am very skillful and shrewd. I know that there are enemies out there trying to attack my owner. I will never let that happen. I have a wide jaw, sharp teeth and I am fearless of my enemies.

It is very dark out there. My owner is sleeping inside. I am constantly awake and watchful. I know what my job is. Every time I hear a sound, I bark loudly. I try to attack. I try to scare my enemies away. I cannot see very clearly because it is dark and foggy. Whenever I hear neighborhood dogs barking, I bark with them. I join them to protect my owner.

It has been very long time. Sometimes I feel fatigued and very tired. I am always active, always worried, and suspicious of every single movement. I am always barking. I am always planning what to do; just in case if my enemies come inside. I am on the move. My throat is hoarse. My body aches; there have been many wounds all over my body. I am constantly in pain and hurting.

Things have changed a bit recently. I noticed some activity inside the house. I feel that my owner is waking up. I am somewhat relaxed now. I don't have to bark too loudly. My pace has also slowed down.

Things are much different now. I know that my owner is awake. I haven't seen him yet. I just feel the presence. It is a bright sunny day outside. I feel very relaxed. I can see that there are just trees and branches swaying outside, not enemies. I have stopped barking now. I hear neighborhood dogs barking. I don't join them anymore. I stopped running around. I stay very quiet nowadays. I had heard some dogs barking about it. They think I am dead. They also think I abandoned my duties. They do not know why I stopped barking. They do not know why I don't join them anymore.

I have realized that there is no need to protect my owner. All I know that my owner is awake and there is no threat from outside. Nowadays I just lie down in the green luscious grass. I watch many birds and butterflies and blue sky most of the time. Very rarely I bark. I don't see enemies anywhere. Many times, I chase birds but it is just a game. I am very careful not to hurt them. There is a female cat and two kittens in the yard. Surprisingly they are not afraid of me. I take good care of them. They keep on frolicking around I enjoy so much watching their playfulness.

What I most relish is sitting by the master. I sit by the feet. Everything is very calm and quiet. I am not sleeping but very alert. I feel very nourished and gratitude for everything.
Last edited by dubhasa on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onceler

Re: A Guard Dog

Post by Onceler » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Nice analogy, nice post. I have been thinking about "stories" and how, paradoxically, stories can help us get rid of our stories--especially if they are parables like yours.

Thanks!
Be present, be pleasant.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 pm

dubhasa -

Glorious post!!! One of the best I've read in months! Thanks, thanks, thanks! Methinks we are reading a published author... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:08 am

Wonderful story - just terrific. Well done.
:D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:23 am

Agreed, thoroughly enjoyable.

minaret

Post by minaret » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Namaste. thank you for that post. it made a lot of sense to my own guard dog. :)
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free". Kazantzakis

Juno

Post by Juno » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am

The story made this master cry. Thank You!
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

surprise

Post by surprise » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 pm

I read the story.. felt better, could relate the our unnecessary thoughts needs to be settled down like the dog. But honestly not sure whether my interpretation is correct..can someone explain it better

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm

You understand it correctly. And part of the message from dubhasa is that the resting of the dog can and will occur naturally over time as you self-realize.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

eckhart01

Post by eckhart01 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:37 am

Great analogy dubhasa.

I keep opening the gate for the dog to run away but it never does.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:56 am

Stop feeding it and see what happens.... :)

Andy

eckhart01

Post by eckhart01 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Hahah, you're one step ahead Andy, good point

surprise

Post by surprise » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Great replies too :) ...... really serving as an eye opener...more I read this story, better I understand

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:43 pm

dubhasa wrote: I have realized that there is no need to protect my owner. All I know that my owner is awake and there is no threat from outside. Nowadays I just lie down in the green luscious grass. I watch many birds and butterflies and blue sky most of the time. Very rarely I bark. I don't see enemies anywhere.
Thank you for this post. :D
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:29 pm

This is a classic post. Thanks for resurrecting it.