Enlightenment Rings

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Gilly

Enlightenment Rings

Post by Gilly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:37 am

Does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

Crystalrays

Re: Enlightenment Rings

Post by Crystalrays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 am

Commercial spirituality to help deliver you to live in the now!

Seemingly a complete contradiction of what it claims to help you do - paying handsomely for the freedom of the moment you are in.

Maybe for some its a trophy of what they feel and can easily afford. But it does seem utterly misplaced for some reason. Its not as if there are any low cost alternatives for low income individuals. So should we all chase high salaries in order to afford one??

Joy

Post by Joy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 am

The idea stems from the old parable about the king who asked a wise man how to find peace, and the wise man gave him a ring that said "this too shall pass". The wise man told the king to read the inscription often, whether things are going good or bad at the time.

Crystalrays

Post by Crystalrays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 am

I must confess if I knew my size I would have ordered the least expensive earlier. I am a fragile soul indeed!

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:45 am

Hi All
The ring does not appeal to me personally, but it might help serve as a reminder for someone that wants to be reminded. Also the merchant is an advertiser here, and that helps support the costs of this forum; so we can communicate this way, that's a plus. :)

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 am

Maybe part of it is for a good cause (ie supporting the forum), but, well, if it was just about having a "reminder," would anyone need a reminder made out of precious metal with little oscillating thingies that costs between $95 and $300 depending on whether you want sterling silver or 14 karat gold? It just seems superficial and out of place. For people who want it and can afford it, hey, more power to them I guess, but it strikes me as...contradictory. I mean, I love the saying "This, too, shall pass," and the idea of a reminder is especially appealing to me personally, but I just don't see the need for such a gaudy reminder. It seems superficial and, again, contradictory. I certainly wouldn't pay anyone turning that kind of a profit for something that is supposedly helping remind me of how I need to "remain present" and of the fact that I don't need anything other than myself to do so.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Yes, but how cool is it to have our latent indignance exposed so that we may be able to integrate it into our open sense of being. And then to have an excellent pointer back to clear presence expressed on the very object of our irritation. :lol:

Crystalrays

Post by Crystalrays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:19 pm

An itchy ring that tells you not to resist does indeed make you stop and think.

Joy

Post by Joy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:35 pm

You know... you could always adblock the image...

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:01 pm

When I first read the title, Enlightenment Rings, I thought it was about the resonance of truth, ha ha.

Hey, who do you think pays for the server and domain to make this forum exist? I am often amazed at how smug some members are who think that they are customers, who are served by the forum but have no compunction to give back. The fact is, some people pay for this forum, and it's not you.

We have to support this forum one way or another. I laugh when I see the ad. If the ad bothers you, how about making a contribution to the forum so we wouldn't need ads? Just a thought. Try clicking on the "Make a Donation" button at the bottom of the page. No need to buy the ring. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Yes Heidi :D
When "Enlightenment Rings" what ringtone does it use? What happens when we answer?
Peace

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

How would Tolle respond to this? He is a Yes man, saying Yes to life, accepting things and people as they are. To find something offensive or to be indignant, is to say No to life. Live and let others live as they choose. Our responsibility is to our own relationship to life, our own state of consciousness.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:32 pm

The rings aren't for me but the ad is a pleasant relief from the barage of sex based ones.

Crystalrays

Post by Crystalrays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:49 pm

I actually think the admin should contact pampers and offer advertising on their products.

The power of now from birth onwards - 'This too shall pass'

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Pass gas. :mrgreen:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave