The Board Game

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

The Board Game

Post by Sighclone » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:27 am

The Board Game

I woke up last night with an image of a board game as an analogy for collective egos in action. It’s not a game with an absolutely rigid set of rules, but we are the pieces. Initially it seems that to the extent we identify with the piece, we can succeed in the game. Some of the rules we learn early: some people care about us…some don’t. Money seems to help achieve things, including freedom. Sex happens, and often it is good. There are lots of things to obsess about. It is easy to be judgmental. Some of the other pieces are smart or stupid, big or small, pretty or less so, artful, crude, or dangerous. There are many sensory events to experience – some pleasant, some not so. We march along and then we die.

But we all get to play. And we seem to be stuck as the piece. But as we trudge around the game board, we learn more about it, more rules, relative and absolute rules. The game is called “The pursuit of happiness.”

Sometimes, however, just as we gain some perspective on the game board, we can gain perspective on our game piece, also. At first, “we” hurt when somebody insults us. At first, “we” hurt when we get fired. At first, “we” hurt when our lover leaves. At first, “we” are afraid when we face serious illness, or the death of a loved one.

The game board has a stack of cards called the “Spiritual Salvation Deck.” You can grab one whenever you want to. The back of the card says: “Peace and Truth are on the Other Side.” The faces of the cards are all different. Some say “Read the Bible”, some say “Meditate”, some say “Go to Temple.”

But after a while, we begin to look real hard at the piece we are identified with. It usually has arms and legs and a nose and lungs, etc. It has a mind, also. That mind can hold thoughts and feelings and respond to external things and internal things like all those thoughts and feelings. In fact, we notice a lot about the piece. The more we study it, the more we wonder: “Who is looking at this piece?”

And there is a little distance between the looker and the piece. The piece can still march along, and have feelings and thoughts, and seems to have a “life,” too. But how much freedom does it have? Who gives it the freedom? How and why and when does it respond to what it sees and feels and thinks? And slowly the piece is just that, a piece in a board game. But we are something else.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kiki

Re: The Board Game

Post by kiki » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Nice analogy, Sighclone.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

dutchred

Post by dutchred » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:17 am

I especially like the name of your game, Andy. The suggestion that the pursuit of happiness can be equated with suffering would have been a thorn in Thomas Jefferson's side, perhaps, but it works for me!

dutchred

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks kiki and dutchred! Play on (or not.) :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Nice analogy Sighclone. Wonderful reading!!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks, dubhasa - especially coming from the creator of the analogy of The Guard Dog!

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 738#p29738

Andy