Science and Enlightenment

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Narayan

Science and Enlightenment

Post by Narayan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm currently looking at a perspective from science on enlightenment. I read "The science of Enlightenment" but I did not find very useful insights from my point of view. I noticed the "Stroke of insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor following by an Awakening experience, by shutting down the left hemisphere of the brain. So there could be a hint that a) it stopped the noice of the logical mind and it happened or b) awakening is experienced in the right hemisphere. Generally I'm interested in serious looks from science on enlightenment and awakening.

Has anybody encountered something?
"Be the change you want to see in this world." - Gandhi | current site: Personal Development that Transforms

the key master

Re: Science and Enlightenment

Post by the key master » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Where's Sighclone?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 am

Sighclone is blowin' in the wind.

Nice to hear from you again, Narayan. There is a lot of material on brain-wave coherence among long-time Zen and TM meditators - both left and right sides are coherent to a remarkable degree...sudden noisy distractions simply register a pulse in the auditory lobe and then dissipate for them - most other people show signs of distraction and tension. Google it.

I'm currently grinding through the 804 page book "My Big TOE" by Tom Campbell, PhD - he talks about consciousness as being the fundamental builder and building block of the universe...I'm not far enough into it to comment except to say it is eminently readable. I also have enjoyed "Toward a Psychology of Awakening" by John Welwood in which much of the best of Western psychology is integrated with the Eastern perspectives. But My Big TOE (Theory of Everything) seems to have some promise...

I can also recommend an older book "The Mechanics of Enlightenment" by Anthony Campbell and "The Physics of Immortality" by Frank J. Tipler and "The Non-Local Universe" by Robert Nadeau and Menas Kafatos, and "The Self-Aware Universe" by Amit Goswami.

Those should give you a good start...none of them are light reading, however.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Narayan

Post by Narayan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Andy, nice to read you again. Thanks for these recommendations, I will look into them and choose one I guess.

If anyone has any other material, please mention it, also if you have any online-sources :)
"Be the change you want to see in this world." - Gandhi | current site: Personal Development that Transforms

Narayan

Post by Narayan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:24 am

I found this interesting link: http://www.spiritualtransformationresearch.org

The Spiritual Transformation Scientific Research Program seeks rigorous investigation on various aspects of the sociocultural, psychological and neurological factors that underlie the processes of spiritual transformations of individuals and groups.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:05 am

Kind of interesting. What was quite interesting, however is that nobody has updated that site for 30 months...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

weichen

Post by weichen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 am

Kind of interesting. What was quite interesting, however is that nobody has updated that site for 30 months...

:-)