You are not your mind, here's a proof

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dagobert

You are not your mind, here's a proof

Post by dagobert » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 am

Hello guys,

As I was practicing awareness in the shower (great place for enlightment isn't it), I started to let awareness flow through my body, and I noticed places where I felt a little bug (that's common), so I let it flow through places while being still, and as always the little bugs just went away through awareness. Then after a few seconds the first thought came by, I became aware of it and EXACTLY LIKE any little itch your body feels while practising awareness, it fade out by itself.

That brings me to a huge realization, even if more and more I understand that my mind is just a tool, that identifying with it is just my way to run away from life, I just get that : basically when mind comes by whitout you wanting it, it is exactly like a itch that you feel.

So you want to identify with a itch ? Will you let your life be taken over by a what is no better than a scratch on the leg ? I don't.

Sighclone

Re: You are not your mind, here's a proof

Post by Sighclone » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Nice image...an itch which dissipates without being scratched... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

the key master

Post by the key master » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Very true Dagobert---I'll offer a further proof. The mind is a thinking entity, it is the thinker, if you will. The mind is the cause and thought is the effect. If you've ever been awestruck, or achieved mind stillness through meditation or in any manner, thought ceases. When thought ceases, the cause of thought, the thinker or mind, also ceases. Yet you still Are. You are outside the realm of cause and effect. Therefore, you are not your mind.

-Jason

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Both Ramana and Eckhart ask us where "we" go during sleep.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

lanroh

Post by lanroh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Sighclone and all.
Both Ramana and Eckhart ask us where "we" go during sleep

The apple goes back on the tree.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:01 am

lanroh -

What a glorious image. I'm going to steal it and try real hard to give you credit... :) Or should the credit go to Source?? :)

Namaste, Andy

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:50 am

Thanks dagobert that is a good tip for not getting involved in your thoughts it is better than something that I learnt at yoga which is to see your thoughts as clouds and let them pass in the sky.
I am doing OK with the chattering mind when I go into stillness - when I go for my walk - having a bath - sitting still etc
But the minute the watcher stops watching back they come - yak yak yak - repetitive nonsense - often fear related. This is often the case when I am driving or cooking dinner or rushing about to catch a train. Even then I now know not to get involved with such thoughts and can tease out weather they are ego or pain body or the old tape playing with negitive thoughts
What I would like to know - will this ease with time or will this be a contant struggle as it seems to be at the moment.
On the other hand I am experiencing a much calmer life and I now no longer multi task - which once I thought was the way to go but know I see that this too is part of the problem. It is now one thing at a time for me. I don't even listen to music in the background - if I want to listen I give it my full attention. I now see TV as just a devise to hook into my pain body so I don't watch it much and if I do I very selective. I now prefer to read or listen to music or just sit still.
I am getting a lot of insight from Tolle's New Earth and have been watching the Oprah shows
Also I am enjoying the posts on this site

dagobert

Post by dagobert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 am

What I would like to know - will this ease with time or will this be a contant struggle as it seems to be at the moment.
It will ease with time, I'm currently experiencing the transition from "constant struggle" to "not that hard".
If it can help you, I noticed certain patterns of my thinking that have the power to immediatly get me unconscious, and now every time it happens I start to naturally notice them as they occur. So this means it became natural to do so, that's the way to stay conscious : first notice patterns afterwards, then get closer to them, then catch them in the act, and then their gone !

Remember : consciousness is the door to awakening, so the more you are conscious, the more you are ready to awake ;-).

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Dagobert Yes you are right on this - after I did that post I did feel that the chatter was easing and that I am having longer periods of calm and many insights. Also when I find myself lost in thought - which I really didnt think much of before - I pull myself back to the now. I have only been doing this for about 4-5 weeks but I have done yoga and meditation before. Now many of the teachings from all sources are pulling together - things that I didn't get before I now know what is going on.

the key master

Post by the key master » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Lanroh said,
The apple goes back on the tree.
haha i love it!

lanroh

Post by lanroh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Sighclone

Credit, that does raise the hairs on the back of the ego :)

All kidding aside thank you for the gift of peace, though I must admit its unstable. I do understand it never comes nor goes and its always there when there is no running away.

lanroh

Post by lanroh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Sighclone and all.

For twelve years one has had a intellectual understanding of the timeless, not that there has not been small satori's along the way. Lately one has come upon time in a less then intellectual way.

One is being careful here to be alert to the intellect coming in and covering the peace that is always ready and available. This is why I spoke on my last reply about this mind still being unstable. Again one is being real careful and alert at this moment to be attentive to the ego coming in and making a problem out of it all, tricky little bugger :)

One is also aware that there has been no arival as there is also no real departing. Its not a state of mind.