What does Tolle or You think of Astrology?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
lestat

What does Tolle or You think of Astrology?

Post by lestat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:35 pm

I used to be a fan, but if we are the cosmos, what do I need astrology for?

kiki

Re: What does Tolle or You think of Astrology?

Post by kiki » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:42 am

Astrology may be useful in helping an individual relate who he think he is with the rest of the world of form. It may help in identifying the individual's strengths and weaknesses and open them up to ideas in how to shore up one's weaknesses and utilize one's strengths. However, I don't see it as an aid in dissolving one's illusory sense of self because there is so much emphasis on the "me". In other words, it may help in enjoying the dream more but it won't help much in awakening to the dream.

I know we have at least one member who sees it differently. You might want to PM him to get his thoughts: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ile&u=2243 Personally, I don't wish to see this board get sidetracked into a discussion on astrology because it's just another set of beliefs that have to be seen through. There's lots there for the mind to get fascinated with, but that isn't what waking up is about. Wake up first, then indulge your curiosity if you feel compelled to do so.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

lestat

Post by lestat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:06 am

"However, I don't see it as an aid in dissolving one's illusory sense of self because there is so much emphasis on the "me". In other words, it may help in enjoying the dream more but it won't help much in awakening to the dream."

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Astrology is just more labeling, more story. I love how you said what has been brewing underneath for a year or so. Thank you.

happns

Post by happns » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:44 am

kiki wrote:Astrology may be useful in helping an individual relate who he think he is with the rest of the world of form. It may help in identifying the individual's strengths and weaknesses and open them up to ideas in how to shore up one's weaknesses and utilize one's strengths. Wake up first, then indulge your curiosity if you feel compelled to do so.
Ohhh Kiki I so laughed when I read your post... I so have to share... I looked into astrology (far too complicated for me to get my head around LOL) and numerogy at one stage and of course used myself as the guinea pig - my birthdate is 22 Feb 1967 - and my findings are as follows - I was born on thinking day, pisces is the thinking zodiac sign and my numbers reduce to the master thinking number 11 - talk about performance anxiety!!!!

:lol:
Here is a new spiritual practice for you... don't take your thoughts too seriously - Eckhart from Stillness Speaks

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:58 am

I totally agree with kiki regarding the significance of astrology. I spent a while looking into that during my egoic metaphysical field work, and yes, WW, I've probably got ten books on it. But there are some interesting ironies revealed there - they have to do with personality inclinations. "The stars incline, they do not compel." But, of course, they only approach the world of form. There are many forces at work in maya; this is one. Gravity is another, greed is another, sexuality is another, karma is the big one. Interesting, amusing, but not liberating...in fact, restrictive.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 am

I think it's bs. :D

lestat

Post by lestat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:00 am

You said the magic word, Sighclone....restrictive.

"If you're a libra you've been known to do this, if you're a scorpio you've been known to act like that."

How about I act or behave or choose to make this decision because I feel like it, or how I was raised?
Last edited by lestat on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:41 pm

onaed -

You think it's bs because you are a Scorpio and the moon is in trine with Venus.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

lestat

Post by lestat » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 am

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:35 pm

It's so interesting to find a post that hits exactly on something which I've recently been contemplating. I'm always astonished at the constant flow of evidence proving over and over that we're all limbs on the same tree!

A couple of months ago I did a lot of research on specific areas of Edgar Cayce readings. He was very big on astrology, but only from the perspective of understanding the tendencies you came in with, which also relates perfectly with the life lessons you want to learn. Understanding the tendencies of the animal in which you chose to be your host, is infinitely helpful in perfecting your ability to release those tendencies by understanding where they come from. But as far as I'm concerned, that's it. It seems to me that any more immersion into that area will only distract from your ability to be present and move forward.

On a similar note, I think that's why every possible modality has such a following. There are truths to astrology, tarot, numerology, reflexology, reiki, drumming, chakras, and boy, does the list go on and on, but just because you find a truth, doesn't mean you have to latch onto it like it was the last life preserver on a sinking ship! (I don't even want to get started on religions of the world).

Just my opinion! Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Norm -

In a couple of other threads, I've mentioned the book "Backwards" by Nanci Danison (backwardsbooks.com). She had a near death experience and brought back a different kind of wisdom. She quotes Eckhart in her first book, by the way. Mainly, though, she discusses the "two beings" we are, animal and spiritual...relates to the origin of the ego.

You will enjoy that book - available at amazon.

Namaste, Andy

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Dearest Andy,

As usual, I'm way ahead of you. (That's a laugh!) Actually, I did catch that previous post of yours and am about 25% into that book. I have always enjoyed reading about NDE's. What more pure, undiluted source of information could you receive? However, she seems to have brought back much more memory than most, and yes, I am really enjoying her book.

Thanks for your diligence, interest, forethought and incredible ability to keep on top of all post and topics.

Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:47 am

SighClone-

Hi,

Perhaps I should explain my one-liner! I've had a healthy skepticism of astrology, although I don't know much about it. There don't seem to be any legitimate laws or theories that are predictive of events or behavior. Although I should state that I haven't looked into it seriously and am actually not quite curious enough to weigh the evidence/"evidence".

When I think of horoscopes, I like to wonder: who might be writing this? And then, how does this person have any magical abilities I don't have?

However I do sometimes think asking a question or being open to a new surprise can be helpful, being aware of new possibilities.

Oh, and I'm actually a Gemini--I'm told. :D

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:50 am

In form, we are subject to lots of forces...genetics, family values, diet, social status, etc. Who is to say that some poorly understood time/spatial force isn't also working on us. We just discovered quarks in 1968. Maybe there will be an understanding of astrology some day. Relative to our Being-ness, however, it's just ripples.

Namaste, Andy

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 am

I think that one should not undervalue the contribution of different tools and paths that are out there.

Nonduality, the pathless path, the stream that Eckhart's teachings can be most closely identified with, does not appeal to everyone out there, nor is everyone ready for it.

Many people can intellectually say that they are the cosmos, but when presented with a knife to their throat they will show fear. Until such time that all fear, all ideas have completely left us, it is safe to say that we are still in "shallow waters".

Complete submergence or dissolution is rare.

Astrology comes from an era before modern science, from cultures that had great expertise in wielding this tool.

To dismiss the work of diverse religions and techniques out there is to dismiss the lifetime contribution of a genius just because they were "off" on a couple occasions.

We do not see the depth in traditions, in things that have helped mankind face suffering for millenia.

The more we wake up, the more we realize that there are tools out there that help us navigate this world and this life at many levels in gentle ways, in ways that help all parties.

My path is that of straight up stillness. No diversion, no ideas.

But the more I go into stillness, the more I fall in love with the diversity of faiths, teachings and techniques out there.

The best teachers and doctors do not offer the same thing to every student or every patient. The lesson and medicine vary from person to person.