non-resistance/the radio in your head

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
CFSLosAngeles

non-resistance/the radio in your head

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Below are two excerpts I just wrote for my book, Enlightenment on Demand, which may prove useful to someone at this time. Enjoy!:

The Magic of Non-Resistance

A few nights ago I was watching videos on YouTube of the seventies brother and sister team, the Carpenters. Afterwards, when I tried to go to sleep, my mind decided that that was the perfect time to get stuck on the song, “The end of the world.” Over and over it played, and no matter what I did I couldn’t get Karen Carpenter’s haunting vocals out of my head!

For several minutes I tossed and turned, as it was quite frustrating. But then I suddenly remembered one of life’s most important truths: what we resist, persists. I was resisting what was! Big time.

So, instead of creating negative energy and suffering over what was, I decided to just embrace it and say, “Okay, you want to hear that song over and over, you go mind!” And I just kinda went with it. In other words, I totally stopped resisting it. Note, this was not a token effort—I really meant it.

Well, a few minutes later I was thinking about something and it dawned on me that the song had gone away by itself! Once I stopped resisting it, it said, “Oh, you’re no fun!” And went away all on its own. If this ever happens to you, now you know what to do. (And, of course, the concept of non-resistance applies to anything that might be bothering you, not just songs stuck in your head).

The above experience led me to write the following:

The Radio in Your Head

“There’s someone in my head, but it’s not me.” –Pink Floyd

There’s a radio in your head and it’s playing 24/7. Instead of believing that the sounds are you, try just listening to them like you would any other radio broadcast. With detachment. When you listen to the radio in your car, you don’t believe that you are literally the radio. Yet, we do this with the radio in our head all the time! We think that thing making all the noise is us, but it isn’t. Again, it’s space or detachment from the noise that allows the presence to come in.

Now, an interesting thing about presence is that it will NOT fight with you. It will come when sincerely invited, when a genuine opening is provided for it, but it will never force its way in. Love opens the door for presence; judgment closes it.

Another interesting thing is that you can’t have both at the same time. In other words, you can’t both believe you are the sounds in your head AND be present. For me, the choice is a “no-brainer”! Get it? Ha ha, I just made that up! :D

Love and Serenity,

Michael Jeffreys

p.s. You can see my list of top 10 spiritual books at http://www.mjeffreys.com
Last edited by CFSLosAngeles on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiki

Re: non-resistence/the radio in your head

Post by kiki » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Great post; thanks for sharing. I especially liked this:
When you listen to the radio in your car, you don’t believe that you are literally the radio. Yet, we do this with the radio in our head all the time! We think that thing making all the noise is us, but it isn’t. Again, it’s space or detachment from the noise that allows the presence to come in.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Hand

Re: non-resistence/the radio in your head

Post by Hand » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 pm

I agree! Thanks for the analogy - very useful and easy to relate to! Also the non-resistance thing - great story, inspiring! :)
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

Sighclone

Re: non-resistance/the radio in your head

Post by Sighclone » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks for the link to your website, too, Mike - a good resource.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

E1lycat

Post by E1lycat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:32 am

When I first started practicing the teachings, this was happening to me 24/7! I was constantly hearing songs in my head.. and what's worse, there was an irritating pop or rock or dance or rnb tune for every thought or occasion that arose. It's so funny now when I think about it, but at the time it drove me crazy and I just didn't know how to turn it off.. It's not so bad now, because like you said, I've stopped resisting it.. just letting it happen, and it's slowly going away. I never realized how habitually annoying my thought processes were. Hehe.. thanks for the post! Very helpful.
I am in need of nothing but the truth

-ACIM-

weichen

Post by weichen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:40 pm

CFSLosAngeles,

Although I would prefer to read ground breaking truly innovative books, I enjoyed reading your two little book exerpts. They are clear and easy to read (no mumble jumble). Their transformation power is clear.

I believe what you are doing is amplifying 'what is known', and surprisingly, such mundane 'amplifying-what-is-known-effort' could be the steping stone to truly innovative breakthrough. Maybe your book can serve as a catalyst to help some readers to write a ground breaking innovative book, which deals with the inherent problems in the teaching of Tolle.

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Michael I love your idea about the radio - great stuff. My "radio" starts up as soon as I wake up lol
I saw your book list and I am reading Emptiness Dancing - just the other day I finished Adyashanti's "True Meditation" and found it very helpful and had a number of insights while reading it. Also it comes with a cd with 2 meditations on it - great stuff
Love the photo of Stillness Speaks

Hand

Post by Hand » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Weichen, you quote
which deals with the inherent problems in the teaching of Tolle.
just out of a 'non-defensive' interest - what are they?
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.