Call to Action

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Onceler

Re: Call to Action

Post by Onceler » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 am

How about a call to non-action?

Intense presence....acceptance of what is.....
Be present, be pleasant.

domokato

Post by domokato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:38 am

Onceler,

After ending egoic action (which causes suffering), what action is left beyond the action needed for survival? That is what this thread is for.

Eckhart says there are three modes of awakened existence (so I've heard) - acceptance, enjoyment, and enthusiasm. Acceptance has been the focus of most people when first awakening, as it breaks the ego structures down. Next, enjoyment of what is, even if you would have resisted it before, becomes possible. Finally, enthusiasm...seems to imply taking action which arises from presence, (action + enjoyment = enthusiasm?). This is the mode I am currently exploring, with the help of this thread :).
~housecat

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Then do, as Byron Katie would say, what needs to be done.

(what I am trying to say is this: In this stupendously complex world, we have no idea what the right action is individually most of the time, let alone collectively. In my experience, what seems to be the "wrong" action, turns out to be "right" , and of course the reverse. I used to think I knew the "right" way. As I grow older, I know less and less....

Whatever actions we are doing now is the right action! How could it be otherwise?)
Be present, be pleasant.

weichen

Post by weichen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Maybe this is a generally applicable principle: if not many people explicitly asking you to teach how to be peaceful, then you are not qualified to teach.

When the stillness is very deep, and disruption to that deep stillness is very rare, then people around you will automatically be attracted to you, either because of the deep stillness, or because the manifestation of beautiful forms from this stillness. That is, action does not go to them from you, but rather invitation of action will come from them to you.

When the stillness is not deep, when the disruption is often. Teaching others could lead to opposite outcome: it create a false link between 'teaching of stillness' and 'a partially transformed, quite egoic you'. Other people would say to themselves inside their heads: I am not going to read PON, because I don't want to be like him.

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:48 am

weichen,

Yes, to be a spiritual teacher I feel it is best for people to be asking for your services already.

I'm working on a screenplay right now based around the theme of awakening. I started another thread for it here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =10&t=4888 (Oh, looks like you already found it. Well, I'll leave the link for others anyway). I suppose you can consider this the action I decided to take after discussing this thread. So far it's not collective, but that doesn't have to be a requirement or anything :). It's actually the first big creative project I've started on since awakening. So I guess we'll see if my state of presence improves my craft at all.

Take care
~housecat

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:35 am

If I may play devil's advocate :twisted::

Would a starving person care if they received food from the Dalai Lama or a convicted felon*?

There's some interesting points on this thread, but I think there can be a rigid dichotomy set up where one is supposed to be concerned with self-improvement (or self-diminishment!) and weary of a drive to help others that is guided by ego. I think it is important watch one's motivations and have faith in the power of one's own presence. I agree with the posters on that. I just have reservations about an idea that one must awaken completely first (I'm exaggerating here to make a point--not trying to put words in anyone's mouth) before helping others. Perhaps that's what's helpful about the eight-fold path in Buddhism, where there are precepts to follow that are behaviors and intentions that an awakened person would likely express.

-(the artist formerly known as onaed)

*assuming this felon has a naughty ego.