Film Idea Based on Eckhart's Awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
domokato

Film Idea Based on Eckhart's Awakening

Post by domokato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm

In my thread "Call to Action" (http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =10&t=4880), I considered writing a screenplay based loosely on Eckhart's story of awakening. Here's my idea:

I haven't thought it out much, but my basic idea for the screenplay is for it to be about a guy, E, who seeks to understand the world through intellectual pursuits. However, the more he does this the more depressed he becomes. One night in his late 20s, at the height of his suicidal depression, he has a spiritual experience which transforms him on an extremely deep level. The next day he wakes up and everything is new to him. Everything is beautiful. He is in a state of complete and unshakable bliss. His ego has died, and he is enlightened. He walks outside and sits on a park bench and soaks in life.

E is in such a state of bliss that he stops caring about his life situation completely. Over the next few months his previous life completely falls apart. He loses all his friendships. He loses his job. And he loses his housing - all the while in a state of complete bliss. Eventually he finds himself sitting alone on park benches, living on food and money provided by passer-bys. For two years he lives like this, with a smile on his face, until one day someone stops and asks him a question. Eventually more people come and ask him more questions. Some are turned off by his answers, but some are enlightened by them. People offer to pay him to hold private talks in their living rooms. His life situation starts picking back up again. From the ground up, he builds a new life for himself. He starts writing a book, a practical guide to enlightenment. When it is published he becomes an international sensation. He starts giving talks to stadiums full of people. He gains millions of followers.

Suddenly, E's ego kicks back in. He becomes caught up in his new-found fame and influence that he goes on a power trip. His following starts to resemble an organized religious cult, on a quest to "save the world". Some of his followers leave him but the rest remain blindly loyal. He fancies himself a messiah. He loses his enlightenment. His past problems come back to haunt him. At the height of his power, the climax of the film, everything finally falls apart at the seams.

After the collapse is complete, E regains his enlightenment and lives out a humble life as a hermit.

And that's the overall idea. Of course there will be embellishments and subplots in the form of love interests, antagonists, and other supporting characters. Overall, I could see this being a pretty engaging dramady. :) (I see very much potential for hilarious moments!)

I'd like to know your guys' thoughts and/or ideas. I think the film has great potential to expose ego and explain enlightenment realistically while still being entertaining. :)

(Also, does anyone here know the legal aspects of writing a story based on someone's life?)
Last edited by domokato on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~housecat

Sighclone

Re: Film Idea About Eckhart's Awakening

Post by Sighclone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Interesting story, but I'm too close to the real life of Eckhart to know how it would play to a neutral audience.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

the key master

Post by the key master » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:35 pm

After giving it some thought, I just don't see how I would enjoy a movie on Eckhart. I'd definitely watch a documentary revolving around his life, insights/realizations, and their implications to the fabric of reality. But an actual film on the man himself? Without being in documentary format I question how true to life such a film could be, and thus how worthwhile. Not that the movie you propose couldn't provide entertainment value; it probably could. But is that what you're after here? That's just my opinion though...

-Jason

Hand

Post by Hand » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:41 pm

I think it is a great idea and a film that I would enjoy watching but perhaps a documentary about people living in the present would be interesting too and very inspiring........ :P
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

domokato

Post by domokato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:56 am

Key Master,

Yes, the main purpose is to express Eckhart's ideas about ego and awakening in a format that is also entertaining. The story isn't about him. It's loosely based on him. And I say loosely because the last half of the story is completely made up. The last half where he gets power hungry is to show how ego can take control again and to provide a climax. There would also be various added elements to provide entertainment between periods of change/growth, like before he becomes enlightened, and between his enlightenment and his power trip, and also elements added to make the story more dramatic. This is just the overarching story. The real heart and draw of the film would be in the situations he finds himself in, his love interests, his interactions with friends before and after awakening, stuff like that. I'll give some examples:

Dramatic moment: During the height of his suicidal depression he swallows a bottle of pills to kill himself. He dies and has a Near Death Experience. However, his girlfriend at the time finds him and brings him to the hospital, and he is revived. The next day he wakes up enlightened.

Funny moment: His boss throwing papers and freaking out at E for being late all the time and not doing any work while E stands there smiling in bliss.

Funny moment: During his time on the park benches a woman walks up to him and starts a conversation. She laments about her current life situation and how she wishes it would change. But halfway through her story she finds E just smiling. "What are you smiling about? Are you even listening to me?" she demands. E says, "Yes, I'm listening to you. It's not that your story is funny. It's just that the moment is so peaceful-", but she gets up and storms off, leaving E there on the bench, smiling and waving goodbye. (Apparently, something like this actually happened to him).

Inspiring moment: The story of Eckhart's friend coming to see him and freaking out about her life and the bills she has to pay and about all her strained relationships. E just becomes still, and moments later something clicks in her head. She becomes still too, and says "Hey...none of this matters, huh?" and then goes home. The next day she calls him and says, "What did you do to me?? I slept like a baby last night! I haven't slept that well in 6 years!" (This actually happened too, according to Eckhart).

Dramatic tension: A friend of his from before his awakening becomes alienated from him after his awakening, and goes on to become a political figure. Later when they are on the international playing field, they find themselves butting heads as they vie for power. This could be part of the climax.

Anyway, you get the picture. I'm not aiming for a documentary or nothing. It would be a real feature film.

By the way, feel free to contribute any ideas if you guys want :)
~housecat

Hand

Post by Hand » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:52 am

You have got a great idea there! I Love the funny moments ha ha I really think this could work, it would be inspiring, educational and funny all at the same time - great stuff!

domokato

Re: Film Idea Based on Eckhart's Awakening

Post by domokato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks, Hand.

I changed the thread title to be a little more clear, by the way :)
~housecat

happns

Post by happns » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:25 am

domokato wrote:(Also, does anyone here know the legal aspects of writing a story based on someone's life?)
Hi domokato... there's someone that posted on this forum that's has a link to a fiction serial "The Final Plott of Valerie Lott" based loosely on Eckhart's "enlightenment"... you may wish to contact them to find out how the legal gobbligook works... here's the link...

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =27&t=4787

Love your posts

:D
Here is a new spiritual practice for you... don't take your thoughts too seriously - Eckhart from Stillness Speaks

domokato

Post by domokato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:13 am

Thank you, happns. I shot him an email :). I started reading his novel but then I stopped cuz I saw some good plot ideas that I might inadvertently steal :)
~housecat

happns

Post by happns » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:13 am

domokato wrote: I started reading his novel
LOL well you did better than me... when I realised I couldn't read the text in it's entirety I didn't start... too lazy... maybe I'll wait till the film version comes out :lol:
Here is a new spiritual practice for you... don't take your thoughts too seriously - Eckhart from Stillness Speaks

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:52 am

Hand wrote

"I think it is a great idea and a film that I would enjoy watching but perhaps a documentary about people living in the present would be interesting too and very inspiring."

I watched something pretty close to that today - called The Convent - it is a UK production and its about 4 outside women joining the convent for 40 days and nights. Australia did a similar series but I didn't watch it back then.
As I was watching it I could see all the things that Tolle speaks of - the light coming through people - how to find the source or God through stillness and silence etc Two women have awaken so far. The last scene in this program - the last one airs next week, is a young woman who was in a lot of resistance to begin with singing Amazing Grace alone in the chapel.
Very beautiful.
A very inspiring program

Destiny

Post by Destiny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 pm

The film that you describing sounds to me like "The peaceful warrior"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438315/

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsS3cXGs2GQ

Hand

Post by Hand » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Soul Seeker - I can't believe I've missed watching the Convent, it sounds inspiring - similar to a programme last year about a monastery and I think 4 men spent 40 days and nights there, just what I like watching......

I'm sure a film or documentary would be very popular - just look at how many people have bought PoN and ANE etc perhaps something will come up - maybe we can contrinute ideas and somehow develop the idea and see where we go........

Hand

Post by Hand » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:01 pm

How about something like a 'normal' family living a 'normal' life and they befriend a wise man, he inspires them and when they are living their lives and experiencing situations he inspires them? With the family you could have children who are bullied at school or whatever and how they deal with life etc the dad at work trying to live in presence he can have several work colleagues with different characters etc etc

Or how about some friends who have been trying to live in presence who drift apart and we follow their lives, maybe one or 2 fall into depression, maybe a couple are really successful and then 10 years later they are brought back together again by fate You could have a song based around being present being played at the intro of the film then when the characters hear it when they are 'lost' and coincidences bring them back together again......

domokato

Post by domokato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Soul Seeker,

That's interesting. Is The Covenant a reality series or fiction? What's the genre? Is it possible for me to watch it somewhere online? Thanks :)

Destiny,

Have you seen that film? Is it about enlightenment? It looks interesting, but I was thinking more along the lines of a Wes Anderson film (The Royal Tannenbaums, The Dareejing Limited) in terms of emotions, or something like The Truman Show in terms of structure (with the funny parts in the beginning and getting more serious towards the end).

Hand,

Great ideas. I'll see if I can find a place for them in the script :)

Thanks for your input so far, guys! It's been very helpful.
~housecat