Film Idea Based on Eckhart's Awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Soul Seeker

Re: Film Idea Based on Eckhart's Awakening

Post by Soul Seeker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 am

Hand said:

"How about something like a 'normal' family living a 'normal' life and they befriend a wise man, he inspires them and when they are living their lives and experiencing situations he inspires them? With the family you could have children who are bullied at school or whatever and how they deal with life etc the dad at work trying to live in presence he can have several work colleagues with different characters etc etc"

Hand I really like that idea - it is something that everyone could relate to. Show how it works in a regulare home setting

Domakato here is a link to The Convent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programme ... info.shtml

I started to watch the Peace Warrior - it is a movie about awakening - so far very good - have an hour left to watch

weichen

Post by weichen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:06 pm

I like the idea. but I would alter the story in two places.

1. when did E's ego creeped back
E's ego creeped back into him NOT AFTER he became worldly famous (around year 2000), but around year 1987 (ten years before the publishng of PON), when he sensed that he could becomes rich and famous. It took him ten more years back and forth switching between deep stillness and a state with some light background cloud of anxiety (while playing the role of spiritual teacher) to reach a quite constant 'abiding by that stillness feeling realization', i.e. conditioned enlightenment.

2. regarding E's personal life.
Regarding the ending of E chose to live life as a hermt, consider changing that to:
E sees beyond normal people's way of living (draws life energy from spouse, lover, children, close friends), he easily sees the exclusivity within such relationship implies disconnection with the general public. he reaches a state that he can draws life energy from sky and earth, and from general public. This state, easily confused with old concept of a hermt, (living alone with no kids, not many very close friends), is paradoxically the deepest connection state with the public, we can say, E, like a company, has gone public.

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 am

weichen,

I really like #1. Thanks for the idea!

For #2...I'm a little confused. Are you saying he should stay a public figure and learn to accept and live with that fact at the end of the movie, instead of everything collapsing and him becoming a hermit? If so, that's totally another way it could end. I actually haven't thought much about the ending so I'm pretty open to change there. Thanks for the input :)

Edit:

Soul Seeker,

Thanks for the link. How was the movie? I just saw Punch-Drunk Love. It's a pretty good exploration of the anxious pain body and how others react to it. Kinda slow though. =P
Last edited by domokato on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~housecat

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:04 am

Also, FYI, status update: I wrote about 5 pages of the screenplay yesterday, and I might write a few more tonight. :)
~housecat

Hand

Post by Hand » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Wow - good going!

I really like weichen's idea too - that E's ego creeps back in before PoN.
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

Destiny

Post by Destiny » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:10 pm

domokato

Yes , i saw the film "Peacefull warrior" . Yes, It's 100% about enligtment and ET Stuff. Great film! (the author - Dann Millman is also a spiritual teacher and writer of lots of spiritual books similar to Eckhart.

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:57 am

I was about to comment about the ending as well. I felt there was the possibility that spiritual awakening would be associated with isolation or disconnectedness. People may learn more by seeing a model that isn't esoteric or ascetic.

domokato

Post by domokato » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:01 am

Hi guys, another quick update:

I got about 14 pages down and have found two potential producers! How about that :)

P.S. I'll have to think about your guys' concerns about the ending. I think my ending shows that even if a spiritual teacher is wrong it does not mean his message is wrong since E (by the way, I've decided to name him Edward) finally does find lasting peace in the end. He would be a hermit because he has no audience anymore, not because he chooses to be a hermit. So I don't think the viewer will connect enlightenment with being a hermit, which is not what I want to imply. Plus, my ending seems more dramatic to me. If you still think I should modify it let me know :)
~housecat