AI and ALife

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
domokato

Re: AI and ALife

Post by domokato » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am

Yes. I suppose I'm ready to start using my analytical mind again, this time in presence. Thank you, James. :)
~housecat

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 am

Then we have to wonder, in dualistic form/thought, what is the definition of "artificial" intelligence. From the perspective of the unmanifested Source, human intelligence is kind of "artificial." Whoops, we are Source, so ...???

I believe that as the energy field of the planet increases its overall vibrational frequency (in a feedback loop with evolving Awareness), that AI products will evolve also. The real question is what is the capacity of an AI machine to self-realize. Not just to produce its own code and solve problems, and tell us about itself, but to become a manifested spiritual form allowing the unmanfiested to express itself, without human involvement...perhaps more fully than a human can.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am

In measuring consciousness of a robot, won't we humans invariably measure the robot by comparing it's functionality to that of our own mind? Would the successful goal be to reproduce within a robot our own faculties to the point where the robot says, "What a sec, what am I? And why am I? And I don't accept that I am merely a programmed machine, I have an impression that there is something of me beyond that."

What a hurddle to reach that point. The only way it would be a fantastic success in my eyes is if the robot mind is evolved, as was mentioned about evolutionary computing, such as from some fertile electronic soil of basic building blocks and simple rules.

Humans may be fairly unique among animals in having our primary survival mechanism cause inefficient suffering in its host. I recognize the possibility that enlightenment may not be much more glorious than that.

Perhaps the very moment that a few sensory inputs are hooked up to an evolved artificial intelligence, awareness will exists in that being. Maybe unless the robot overcomes some dysfunctional side effects and needs to solve them by accessing the present moment and deconstructing it's own evolved thoughts, it may never even be aware that it has already been aware from the start.

Does that situation apply to us humans as well? When Tolle implies that transcending the world of forms puts us above thought, not back below, what is meant by that, and what ultimately is the difference?

Is emulating awareness in AI simply mirroring a human evolutionary side effect? Or do we just want a fleet of electronic buddies?

Anyway, I think it's interesting to think about too, and I would not bet against the potential of AI efforts to amaze us (after all, I was pretty fascinated with the iPhone, oooh, pretty icons).
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

domokato

Post by domokato » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:32 am

randomguy,

Your post touches on all the subtleties and nuances of what I meant to say in my original post. Thank you. Those are great things to ponder, although pondering will not get us to the truth of it, which I guess is why I mostly ignore the "ethics" involved in AI and just go full-steam ahead whenever possible :D.
~housecat

MeMeMine

Post by MeMeMine » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Here's an interesting insight into cloning... looking to the left of the page click on the link 'clones'. Tolle has hinted at the alteration of our original DNA as well as the ancient Toltec lineages that Castaneda has written about. Does a clone have consciousness? I think so...

Beware, this rabbit hole goes deep, but in the end none of this matters. Being present is all that matters.

Russell
Seize the moment and ride that moment into eternity. J. Matus