letting go of the ego

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
yep

letting go of the ego

Post by yep » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi!
I am new to this forum and have been reading eckhart tolle and quite a lot of similar books. I have a question concerning letting go of the ego: Does letting go of the ego mean that you will not have a personality with different preferences? I cannot help to think about this since I do not want to let go of some of my core values.I understand that this probably isnt the case, but that it simply means that you do not cling to anything, and it is using the logical lanuage that is confusing me. However I would love to get this further explained.
thanks

Juno

Re: letting go of the ego

Post by Juno » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 pm

What happens when the ego is falling away is the identity/beliefs/concepts all the false stuff is what drops. You will still have a personality and prefrences. Once a person Self realizes those core values will be looked at from the perspective of Oneness, that Presence that Yep is, not seperatness which is ego. You, Yep the identity/ego won't let go of the ego. The ego drops because of the new perspective Yep has of Oneness. That that's awake allows the ego to dissapate. Keep it simple by sensing Stillness and allowing things to be so your mind will quiet to Allow the realizaiton to penetrate.

Monica
Last edited by Juno on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

yep

Post by yep » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Monica,
Maybe this is just playing with words, but what is the difference between identity and personality? Is identity a (false) conceptual picture of ourselves and personality te way we accually behave/react? When it comes to opinions and values- I know that they are constantly changning anyways, but I can see that I am scared of really living in the present since I do not want to change my core values. This might just be a useless worrying thought keeping me stuck by the ego, but it would be nice to hear what anybod who would considerer themselves as "awakened" has to say- Have your core values/interest/hobbies changed dramatically since awakening?

cheers

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 pm

yep wrote:Hi Monica,
Maybe this is just playing with words, but what is the difference between identity and personality? Is identity a (false) conceptual picture of ourselves and personality te way we accually behave/react? When it comes to opinions and values- I know that they are constantly changning anyways, but I can see that I am scared of really living in the present since I do not want to change my core values. This might just be a useless worrying thought keeping me stuck by the ego, but it would be nice to hear what anybod who would considerer themselves as "awakened" has to say- Have your core values/interest/hobbies changed dramatically since awakening?

cheers
Hi Yep,
There has been dramatic change. Change that I couldn't have imagined before. I would never go willingly back I promise you that. When the realization first happened I ran around thinking I had no idea anything like this existed on this earth. It's like they say "the peace beyond all understanding". From my experience I would say be careful holding tightly to anything. Relax, loosen up live as best you can in the flow. Be fluid. Doesen't it feel better to be fluid than rock solid resisting? There is something in you that want's change or you wouldn't be here. I was always clear that I did not like all of the anger, confusion, ego-ness etc.. So when this realization happened I have gone with it not resisting the best I can and I have not been dissapointed. It's everything I always wanted. My personality actual shines more clearly because it's not as obscured by the persona the mask the imagined self what I use to identify with which would be called the ego : ). It's everything I always wanted but in my case had no idea what that was until it happened. Yes, Identity is the false conceptual picture. Well said. Imagine a movie screen. We identify with what's on the screen but actually What we are Is the screen. I was just reading this one last night. Think of a chalk board, someone put's a spot of chalk on it and asks what do you see. Most would say the spot of chalk and not the chalk board. I enjoy looking for all of the gaps like between snow flakes, trees, people, thoughts. Those gaps are where you can sense What we are, that Presence that is not only the snow flakes, trees , people, thoughts but is also that Stillness between.
Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Adya talks about Jesus's personality and the Buddha's personality. Every enlightened being has a personality but they do not identify with the false persona, concepts. They only identify with what's real Brahman/Presence/Awareness/Truth/Stillness/Silence/ the Tao/ Spirit/ many names for IT.
Monica
Huang Po

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Welcome to the board, yep.

Well, I'm still a Green Bay Packer fan, but I no longer "live and die" with how they do in any particular game, a vast change for me. I still dislike the Minnesota Vikings because they are in the same division as the Packers but I can enjoy watching them play, appreciating the sheer beauty of a play well executed. In other words, being a rabid fan of Packers has been replaced by being a fan of the game no matter who is playing.

I have found my taste in entertainment has changed, no longer seeking out certain types of movies (the ones with gratuitous violence) although I still appreciate the war genre for its historical significance - Downfall, for example, which chronicles Hitler's last few days and the immediate aftermath. My previous interest in history remains intact, but it doesn't drive me like before. I have found I gravitate toward movies with life affirming themes, romantic comedy, and family value types of movies (can't get enough of Little Women, the one with Winona Ryder especially, and Anne of Green Gables, except for the third one - dreadful). I've even gotten into reading Jane Austen, something I wouldn't have even considered before. LOL!

My taste for competition has diminished, which is surprising for someone who grew up highly competitive - I have 5 brothers and 3 sisters. Even so I still enjoy the play of sports; I've found playing for the sake of playing makes it much more enjoyable - win or losing has no impact on me, I thoroughly enjoy the play even while doing everything I can to win.

My sense of humor is as it was. I laugh at the same kind of stuff as before and look to make comic quips to situations as they arise. I especially enjoy the ironic and absurd but I no longer can take anything seriously.

Social situations no longer hold me in fear. I feel completely at ease no matter what situation I'm in. However, if I were forced to make a choice I would choose a more solitary situation, a holdover from before. I'm still single but now I am completely at ease with that. The single woman who lives across the street is still attractive to me and I would enjoy seeing more of her but it doesn't matter when that doesn't work out.

I still have certain preferences in food but can enjoy whatever I'm eating, even plain ol' oatmeal with no salt, sugar, or milk. I prefer Bryers vanilla ice cream but will eat something else with just as much appreciation.

The bottom line for me is I find whatever instills or fosters a sense of harmony, peace, and love to be most important. My peace is complete and undisturbed no matter what.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Yes Kiki :)
We have a very similar "story' - even down to a lady across the street and I even have a Packer's ball cap (it was the only one on sale for $2.) :lol:
I find it impossible to take anything seriously except the Pure Awareness of this exact experience - Now.
It's all "good".
Peace

Mushinsan

Post by Mushinsan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Basically, to me, it means quit trying to find meaning in things. Why does the wind blow at different rates? Thats the mind distracting you from just enjoying the breeze. So letting go of the ego doesnt mean anything. Just quit demanding anything else than whats in front of you (or in you) now. Because there is nothing else, just mental judgements. Become new to this world every moment as if nothing ever happened before or will ever happen after and you'll never wonder about some thing called ego.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Exactly Mushinsan :)

This "Koan" is for both you and Kiki -

Someone - anyone - will tell you there are "illusions".
Don't believe them.
It's not true.
Peace

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 am

Is not illusions Brahman too? It's just seeing through the illusions, realizing the illusion it's self is not the Source of everything. In understanding it you're no longer bound by it.
Huang Po

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Exactly Juno :)
When illusions are seen as illusions they are no longer illusions. :wink:
Peace

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 pm

When illusions are seen as illusions they are no longer illusions.
Thanks for putting it in a sentence HL :)
Huang Po

yep

Post by yep » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks everybody!
Your answers really helped me. This is what i suspected to hear by me ego has lately been trying to find all kinds of logical, rational (irrational) arguments why I should take myself seriously :wink:
Nice to speak to some people that think the same way as I do- there are not too many around me where I live.
Yep

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:16 pm

yep -

Welcome!! Please do yourself a favor and get a copy of John Welwood's "Toward a Psychology of Awakening." He refines the concept of ego very well...he helped me understand the difference between ego and personality. kiki's story is much like mine, except that I was never very competitive. My interest in violence and brutality has pretty much vanished. But my interest in "fun competition" is as strong as ever. My political views have softened. That is to say I no longer hold to them with the same energy. It does not matter whether they were liberal or conservative, I just don't "identify" with them as much.

Many discover a renewed interest in universal love, and find it in many places and emanate it naturally.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

yep

Post by yep » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 am

Thanks for the book recommendation-i will have a look at that one. I get the point you are making. I find myself constantly wanting to "claim" certain attributes, opinions or acheivements. I try to let them go like any thought but they do disturb me. I hope this is just a fase and my goal (i know you should not grasp for goals but you know what i mean) is to stop being so self-observing and just be. Has anybody found themselves in the same position? Any further recommendations?
cheers
yep