favorite quote...do you have one?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
hanss

Re: favorite quote...do you have one?

Post by hanss » Thu May 05, 2011 4:41 pm

More from the old Eckhart:
The eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me.

Only the hand that erases can write the true thing.
And from my favorite teacher Adyashanti:
The ego believes that without its thoughts, opinions, beliefs and ideas, the whole universe will go to hell in a hand basket
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

braveheart

Post by braveheart » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

They change all the time.
Right now my favourite one is: "love your neighbor as yourself"

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue May 17, 2011 4:43 pm

One day I was babysitting my grandson Noah. He was 4 years old. We were looking out the window. It had been raining all day. Noah asked if we could go to the park. I said that it looked like it would be raining all day so not today, but perhaps tomorrow. He said "Papa, there is no tomorrow...only now!" I could only smile and agree. Out of the mouth of babes...
Last edited by Rick on Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Very good, Rick. That reminds me of something my younger brother, Johan, said to my youngest brother, Rickard, when he was about 5 years old. He said:

"Rickard, you were where I was, when I was not."

Lets take that one more time.

"You" were, where "I" was, when "I" was not.

Thank you, Johan for that wisdom!
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

HandfullaMinerals

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Wed May 18, 2011 3:02 pm

I Am therefore I Think :mrgreen:
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed May 18, 2011 3:38 pm

My son is 1/4 Mexican because his mother is 1/2 Mexican. One day my 8 year old son and his friend were having an animated conversation about their heritage in the back seat of the car while I drove. To settle the argument my son asked of me "Dad, don't I have a little Mexican in me!?" I said "Well, I don't know son. Does he speak to you?"

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

My father, from bright laughing eyes, within an unusual break in his silence:

"Ahhhhh ... BULLSHIT!"
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

EternalPrize

Post by EternalPrize » Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 am

Took me awhile to find it, but I loved this quote:

Maya might best be understood as the intelligence of fear. She is the keeper of the kept, the warden of the Dreamstate. It is Maya who bestows upon us the miraculous and life-giving power to see what's not and to not see what is. It is Maya who makes the Dreamstate possible and escape from it nearly impossible. She enables the Dreamstate to exist, and if you wish to awaken from it, then it’s her you must destroy, layer by layer. But don't live in metaphors; she's not a she and she's not external to you. She's inside you and those layers are the stuff of which your ego is made. Maya is the structural integrity of ego. Observe ego at work, make a study of it, dissect it, reverse-engineer it. Maya is not a person or a concept or a goddess. There is no way to understand what Maya is except to grapple with her. There is no way to know how deep she goes until you have gone that deep. In this war Maya has every advantage but one; truth. Maya doesn't exist. Truth does.

From the first Jed McKenna book I believe. Those last few sentences hit with a punch. :D

Rick

Post by Rick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Tolle lecture, Living a Life of Inner Peace:

"You'll probably laugh but I saw Michael Jackson on TV the other day. Even if you say that he's strange, he's weird — that's what people say — the moment he goes into the music mode, something takes over. Woosh. Wow. What was that? He actually said that you can't think, it doesn't come from thinking. You can learn the externals but not the essence. So the moment he switches into music notes, an energy takes over. It's beautiful.

And the moment he stops, there's an ordinary, strange human being — well, everybody is strange. Some are more strange than others. The question is: is it possible not to just have access to that in a little area of one's life but live in that state where you are no longer a puppet of your conditioning?"

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 pm

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."
Shakespeare
Peace