How to Stay Present

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
CFSLosAngeles

How to Stay Present

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

“When you love the present moment more than you love your thoughts, your attention will naturally rest in the present moment.”

- Michael Jeffreys

http://www.mjeffreys.com

Webwanderer

Re: How to Stay Present

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Is it love of thoughts, or is it more like emotionally conditioned attachment to beliefs about self?

When one loves the present moment more than one believes in ideas, attention will...

Just a thought :roll:

WW

doug

Post by doug » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:04 pm

for me it seems that I've lived this life so determined to succeed at everything that I am addicted to results that have typically been achieved through an active mind, always thinking, churning through solutions, methods, and schemes.

It's a habit... an addiction that can be easily changed now just by remembering that it isn't real and here and now is, inside me as well as around my form. It's remembering that now is all that is and everything else, including thoughts of spirituality and enlightenment are thoughts of past and future.

It's an alert listening, feeling, watching, waiting, and being....here and now.

(it's funny how writing the words helps the writer...a benefit of being in such a forum I suppose)

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Cease referring to the past and the future, your attention will naturally rest in the present moment.

Or put another way...

When you love the present moment more than you love the past and future, your attention will naturally rest in the present moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Sw A Devagni

Post by Sw A Devagni » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm

I prefer Genpo Roshi's conception, which is compare the mind to a gland and see the mind as a gland secreting thoughts. Then just sit and let it do its job.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm

I know people who don't quite understand what it means to be present. When I started, I had a similar experience, and the presence I was cultivating was lifeless and artificial. With some practice, I discovered it was easier for me to remain aware, effortlessly, and presence is of always just there. Then, the 'letting go' happened naturally, as concepts, beliefs, past, future, and 'me' were let go, presence naturally deepened. If you're having trouble being present, try simply being aware, and allowing and accepting everything, including thoughts. It's all the same; this journey starts in the mind and so the mind needs some sort of understanding to grasp, until a glorious time when understanding too is released.

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:01 am

One is out of one's mind.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:27 am

How to Stay Present
In reality can "we" ever not be present?

There is Creation
There is Awareness
There is Experience

Peace
Peace