You don't have to quiet your mind....

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Juno

You don't have to quiet your mind....

Post by Juno » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:50 pm

You simply have to notice the quiet that contains the mind.
Quote by Catherine Ingram

I love her podcast on coexisting awareness. It's not seperate but it's not trying to be the watcher either. It freed me up that much more. She gives the example of driving a car while singing a song. Your letting cars pass by, making a turn, stopping at the stop sign. It's simply coexisting awareness. She goes into it much more. It's a wonderful teaching.

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

James

Re: You don't have to quiet your mind....

Post by James » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 am

That sounds nice Juno, glad those analogies work for you. I am not familiar with Catherine Ingram's teaching, but have been hearing good recommendations on this forum. Will give it a look.

Eckhart, Adya and other teachers also speak of inner stillness and silence of course. Many of us including myself, sometimes get the notion that they are saying we have to quiet our mind or get rid of thinking. That is a misunderstanding of the teachings, I know it can be tricky. Eckhart's Stillness Speaks has some good pointers, writing about how all sounds, thoughts actions etc. emerge out of the pervading stillness. Adya has a great little audio clip called Stillness, in which he talks about how he struggled to quiet his mind in meditation, until he realized that he did not have to; because stillness was always already present. I found that to be very helpful.

The Stillness clip is about half way down the page on this link:
http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=listenonline

"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Juno

Post by Juno » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks James for you post. The way Catherine spoke in this regard really resonated. I have listened to lots of Eckhart and Adya's teachings on Stillness and Silence many times and I believe were some of the main ingredients for waking up. I just loved the new way of putting the same idea into words plus going a step further in the coexisting awareness. Check out her podcast on coexisting awareness. It's good.

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 am

This is a very interesting thread!
In my opinion, as we start living (partially) outside the mind we become more conscious (aware) of the innate multitasking capabilities of the brain! This could explain the phenomenon of "coexisting awareness".

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 am

Here is what one of my favorite teachers say on this subject and from my experience it is 200% true!
Namaste
Randji

All directions are within the mind! I am not asking you to look in any particular direction. Just look away from all that happens in your mind and bring it to the feeling 'I am'. The 'I am' is not a direction. It is the negation of all direction. Ultimately even the 'I am' will have to go, for you need not keep on asserting what is obvious. Bringing the mind to the feeling 'I am' merely helps in turning the mind away from everything else.

When the mind is kept away from its preoccupations, it becomes quiet. If you do not disturb this quiet and stay in it, you find that it is permeated with a light and a love you have never known; and yet you recognise it at once as your own nature. Once you have passed through this experience, you will never be the same man again; the unruly mind may break its peace and obliterate its vision; but it is bound to return, provided the effort is sustained; until the day when all bonds are broken, delusions and attachments end and life becomes supremely concentrated in the present.
Nisargadatta Maharaj
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana